No announcement yet.

Nicotine: The Cure for SCI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article says NADA about Stem Cells. But it does mention neuro plasticity, suggesting that taking nicotine while doing physical therapy/biofeedback would be very beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeHalsted View Post
      Article says NADA about Stem Cells. But it does mention neuro plasticity, suggesting that taking nicotine while doing physical therapy/biofeedback would be very beneficial.
      I am for anything that helps.
      sigpicLET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

Comment

specifics?

I'm intrigued. Might better neuroplasticity help rid me of spasticity caused by chronic incomplete sci? I've never smoked or been around smokers much. Could a nicotine patch help me? Nicoderm CQ delivers 21 mg a day thru skin. Is that a good low dosage, Ryan? Thanks!

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
          The first reference you cite talk about stem cells relating to blood (hematopoietic) which have nothing to do with stem cells that would promote axional growth. There is no reference at all cited about how nicotine would promote growth across an injured spinal cord.

Sorry man, it is hard to take your claims seriously.
          Correct me if I'm wrong but my second post to this thread does provide a reference which shows that nicotine stimulates axon and dendrite growth. That combined with the stem cells produced by nicotine would seem to be a very potent combination.

Comment

Originally posted by CAS View Post
            The point being made was not the sale but the product being pushed as a grand deal to cure the spinal cord.

As mentioned nicotine has good and bad effects like most things, but on its own do's not develop into a cure of the spinal cord or we would all be doing it.
            As explained elsewhere in other threads, if not here as well, I'm also using hydrogen peroxide therapy (a form of oxygen therapy similar in objective to hyperbaric oxygenation) in addition to ALA, which seems to make a huge difference. I'm also using proteolytic enzymes (bromelain and papain) in addition to glucosamine. I also have heard that B vitamins have been used to cure SCI.

Note that nicotine is essentially a form of vitamin B3. Vitamin B3 is nicotinic acid. If I remember correctly, B3 is essential for proper development of the brain and nervous system. This is why pregnant women are urged to take B vitamin supplements. I avoid B vitamin supplements because they are usually created using genetically modified organisms (yeast). I have tried several different sources of organic (non-GMO) probiotics which contained yeasts with some notable results. Yet, the current regimen seems to be the most potent...without any B vitamins (except for nicotine perhaps).

Nicotine has been "demonised" in modern times due to it's association with tobacco but many vegetables contain nicotine or nicotine analogs such as tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplant...among others. It is entirely natural and the body actually requires it. I for one can understand why the native Americans revere tobacco as a sacred plant. It is also considered by them to be a very powerful medicine. They even include green tobacco leaves in their salads. Keep in mind that the tobacco they use is not hybridised to produce the high levels of nicotine like tobacco bred by the tobacco industry uses. If I remember correctly, the native Americans also chemically treat their tobacco to reduce the toxicity of the nicotine before consuming it.

Smoking and chewing tobacco is also often fermented which probably makes the nicotine less toxic and probably also converts the nicotine into a different form from that found in the fresh green leaf. Nicoitne has many metabolites some of which are carcinogenic and as I understand the fermentation of tobacco increses the level of these metabolites and this is what makes tobacco so carcinogenic, aside from the addition of carcinogens by some of the curing methods used (which may include "smoking", like with jerky) and also the toxins produced by combustion when smoked (as a cigarette, cigar, or in a pipe). This is why Swedish snus (as opposed to snuff) tobacco, which is NOT fermented, is said to be non-carcinogenic.

I have tried Swedish snus and do find it effective if I do not overindulge. Yet, I prefer nicotine patches. Snus tastes awful and it makes me ill. It is also difficult to be sure whether or not the "flavor" listed as an ingredient contains artificial sweeteners such as sucralose or aspartame (which are neurotoxic if I remember correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by c473s View Post
              Can you tell us exactly what the patches did for you?
              How many blood clots have you had in your lungs? Were these self diagnosed and is that the basis for your statement "I felt like I as getting blood clots in my lungs"?

The patches have helped to increase muscle function in my back allowing me to sit up straighter and longer. In addition, nicotine in general has brought sensation back to my lower body. It is not skin sensation but depper tissue sensation. At one time I could feel my feet on the footrest of my wheelchair. The sensation comes and goes. The recovered sensation seems to be affected by bladdder infections, which I battle on a daily basis due to the need for cathetrisation. I believe the reason bladder infections seem to affect me this way is due to neuro-toxins produced by the bacteria. It may also be due to overstimulation of nerves due to pain signals (from the bladder infection) which I cannot feel. I may have also damaged the nerves in my legs by strapping heavy bags to the seatbelt of my wheelchair which I later discovered to cut off circulation to my legs. Because of this I do not get the same results now from nicotine that I once did when experimenting with different sources.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeHalsted View Post

You did not read the reference(s) in the original post which started this thread one of which gave an example of some of the research which shows that nicotine stimulates the production of stem cells.

Comment

Originally posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
                  I'm intrigued. Might better neuroplasticity help rid me of spasticity caused by chronic incomplete sci? I've never smoked or been around smokers much. Could a nicotine patch help me? Nicoderm CQ delivers 21 mg a day thru skin. Is that a good low dosage, Ryan? Thanks!

Jan

It would not be wise for me to give medical advice but I found 21mg to be too high for me. I actually found 7mg effective. Studies show that lower dosages are more effective than higher dosages. Presumably due to higher doses saturating the acetycholine/nicotinic receptors, rendering them unresponsive.

Comment

Ryan, I already tried the 7mg patch by Habitrol and had a bad reaction in about 3 hours. Now I understand why. Is vitamin b3 niacin? I get plenty in my vegan diet and so the patch gave me the hots, nauseous feeling and increased heart rate. Wiped me out. Very soft stool. There's a niacin supplement that doesn't do that, nonflushing kind, and I could take that instead with better results, but I wonder if extra in your diet is useful. Interesting. I'm glad the patch helps you. Perhaps the nonflushing niacin supplement would be as helpful and cheaper for you.

Comment

It's called Flush Free Niacin and NOW Foods sells them on Amazon if interested...

Comment

Originally posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
                        Ryan, I already tried the 7mg patch by Habitrol and had a bad reaction in about 3 hours. Now I understand why. Is vitamin b3 niacin? I get plenty in my vegan diet and so the patch gave me the hots, nauseous feeling and increased heart rate. Wiped me out. Very soft stool. There's a niacin supplement that doesn't do that, nonflushing kind, and I could take that instead with better results, but I wonder if extra in your diet is useful. Interesting. I'm glad the patch helps you. Perhaps the nonflushing niacin supplement would be as helpful and cheaper for you.
                        Does the Habitrol patch have an aluminum coating on it? If so, I should point out that this caused problems for me. I could taste metal in my mouth and also had adverse reactions such as breathing problems, pains in my lungs, which I attributed to blood clots from the aluminum (aluminum is used as a styptic to clot blood if I remember correctly).

Perhaps you were experiencing autonomic dysreflexia? If I remeber correctly, as the spinal cord begins to repair itself, there is sometimes an increase of autonomic dysreflexia. More than likely, you were simply experiencing a typical reaction to nicotine. Nicotine itself will cause all the problems you mentioned. Patches are notorious for causing such reactions, possibly due to overdose or an allergic reaction to the adhesive.

Keep in mind that people build up a tolerance to nicotine. I had a very high tolerance to nicotine since I smoked non-filtered cigarettes but experienced adverse reactions to the 21mg patch. Whether it acts as a poison is dependent upon the dosage. Referencing the literature on nicotine and stem cells, 7mg may also be too high to obtain the desired benefits.

To answer your questions about B3/niacin...technically, nicotine itself is NOT chemically classified as identical to nicotine although they are related. Technically B3/niacin is nicotinic acid. I suspect there may be some confusion in the literature about the differences. Tobacco is fermented which produces a complex chemical conversion process so I'd suspect that there is also niacin present in fermented tobacco which may be why I get more of a beneficial effect from tobacco where recovery of sensation/function in the lower body is concerned. Yet, I have tried niacin (both flushing and non-fllushing kind) and although there are some similarities between the effects of (regular) niacin and nicotine, niacin alone does not appear to provide the same benefits for me. Perhaps this is due to the dosage used (perhaps lower doses are more effective with niacin as with nicotine?).

There used to be a product on the market known as "Stemulite" which was known as a "stem cell recruiter". You can still find websites about this product. The main active ingredient was eggplant extract (which contains nicotine or nicotine analog[s]). The dosage of nicotine or nicotine analog from the eggplant extract was VERY low. Nevertheless, I found this product to be VERY potent and effective, at least in it's age reversal effects. The reason for this may not have been solely due to the nicotine (or analog) but also the other ingredients which included medicinal mushrooms (most notably Lion's Mane mushroom as I recall) and certain nitric oxide increasing amino acids known to increase stem cell production. I believe ALA (alpha-lipoic acid) may have also been an ingredient.

Although Stemulite is no longer manufactured, one can still obtain EGGPLANT EXTRACT. In addition, the aforemention amino acids are available. Amino acids are very potent if delivered in an undenatured form. An excellent source of information on the topic of the medical uses of amino acids is a book titled "The Healing Nutrients Within". Highly recommended. Keep in mind that stem cells alone probably are insufficient for recovering function. One also needs to stimulate axon/dendrite growth to re-establish the connection. Nicotine (or a nicotine analog) seems to fulfill this requirement.

I hope that helps...
                        Last edited by Ryan B; 15 Apr 2013, 5:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X