Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gregoire courtine lausanne Switzerland

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    do you have links or something to the afforementioned weak data...it's not that I do or do not agree, I just haven't seen it and need to read it to come to my own conclusions ...because "most" of what I hear sounds pretty great but on the other hand I just have to be kind of expecting big talk and hyped anecdotal talk in sci...simply need to see the data for myself
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - (with exception for Paolo of course)
    http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

    Comment


    • #17
      Grammy, do you have any? I am hoping that you do but not outright expecting it exactly because I am not sure that any official data exists yet
      "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

      "what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "


      2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
      Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

      Comment


      • #18
        Translational Science and Research are so expensive! Why bother? Let's focus on therapies that can languish forever on rodents! That way the research dollars will last a longer time! After all it's all about the research and not about any beneficial results to humans. It's also very important to not lose sight of the importance of taking wild guesses about outcome before understanding a process. If we make enough uneducated prognostications some may come true then we can site these examples as proof of our superiority!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
          Grammy, do you have any?
          I don't know whose work or what he's wanting you to read about. However, it's more than likely already posted in the links available at the SCI Report.
          http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

          Comment


          • #20
            success with monkeys

            Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
            I don't know whose work or what he's wanting you to read about. However, it's more than likely already posted in the links available at the SCI Report.
            http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...-of-an-implant

            success in monkeys

            Comment


            • #21
              this is freaking great man. success in big animals that is unbelievable and it is in a few seconds not months. Yes.....

              Comment


              • #22
                This is one way communication isn't it?

                It doesn't say anything about sensation being passed back to the brain, so no fix for bbs. Or have I missed something?

                It does look interesting though, I wonder why they didn't record the signal that the brain sends out and then replay it triggered by a hand held button.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by niallel View Post
                  This is one way communication isn't it? I wonder why they didn't record the signal that the brain sends out and then replay it triggered by a hand held button.
                  Here they're making a closed loop system between the brain signals and leg muscles. They're driving that stimulation based on activity decoded from the brain. It's a wireless system so there is no need to operate a hand held button to take a step. They've spent years learning which motor neurons need activated in order to produce gait where muscles flex and extend at the exact right time. Other stimulation labs are working on sensation, cardio, AD, bowel, bladder, blood pressure...
                  http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    All I'd need for now is my genitalia communicate with my brain in order to enjoy sex again, in other words enjoy life again... I hope they're working on it as well.
                    And then the rest can wait a bit longer, I don't mind

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
                      Here they're making a closed loop system between the brain signals and leg muscles. They're driving that stimulation based on activity decoded from the brain. It's a wireless system so there is no need to operate a hand held button to take a step. They've spent years learning which motor neurons need activated in order to produce gait where muscles flex and extend at the exact right time. Other stimulation labs are working on sensation, cardio, AD, bowel, bladder, blood pressure...
                      If its closed loop how does the signal get back to the brain - or is that done over the wireless connection as well? Sorry if its obvious, the article didn't cover this.

                      Regarding the button press, I was just thinking this would be a better way of trying things without needing to put something into someones brain. I'm not so sure I trust something thats going to go there.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Silvio GS View Post
                        All I'd need for now is my genitalia communicate with my brain in order to enjoy sex again, in other words enjoy life again... I hope they're working on it as well.
                        And then the rest can wait a bit longer, I don't mind
                        Me too. I stay single and am passing up on some great men until otherwise. It just doesn't work to my satisfaction otherwise.
                        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

                        T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by niallel View Post
                          If its closed loop how does the signal get back to the brain - or is that done over the wireless connection as well? Sorry if its obvious, the article didn't cover this.
                          Here's a link with a simple schematic to show the concept. The Supplement 1 in the paper is copyright so I didn't display it here.
                          Last edited by GRAMMY; 11-12-2016, 11:18 PM.
                          http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Silvio GS View Post
                            All I'd need for now is my genitalia communicate with my brain in order to enjoy sex again, in other words enjoy life again... I hope they're working on it as well. And then the rest can wait a bit longer, I don't mind
                            The Courtine lab (as far as I know) are working solely on locomotion and gait.
                            http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              other research in the lab

                              Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
                              The Courtine lab (as far as I know) are working solely on locomotion and gait.
                              interesting article information. I believe this is in the same lab

                              http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...n-Barraud.aspx

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by JAMESRRR View Post
                                interesting article information. I believe this is in the same lab

                                http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...n-Barraud.aspx
                                ???

                                "In our lab our strategy is a bit different. We focus on utilizing what is left following an injury, what is spared by the lesion. In most of the cases, in humans, only a small part of the tissue is spared. We want to take advantage of this spared tissue and allow the brain to access the spinal cord again after the lesion. For this, we have developed a method of electrical stimulation of the spinal cord combined with pharmacological stimulation."

                                "We are developing multifaceted neuroprosthetic systems, robotic interfaces and advanced neurorehabilitation procedures that we combine with neuroregenerative interventions. Using genetically modified mice, optogenetics, and novel viral tools, we also seek to uncover the neural mechanisms underlying the control of locomotion in intact animals, as well as the processes that reestablish motor functions after neuromotor disorders." Link|

                                They don't have the neuroprosthetic E-Dura on the market yet and still need to implement the proposed pharmacological piece. It's pretty good that they've moved from rat - primate - to preliminary human trials with just the implant alone. Other combo strategies could be decades away so I wouldn't be expecting stem cell treatments, neurotrophin, etc anytime soon from this prosthetic lab.
                                Last edited by GRAMMY; 11-18-2016, 01:51 AM.
                                http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X