No announcement yet.

Working 2 Walk: The Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading those threads from '05 gives me HIVES LOL. When we started planning I thought it would be Dr. Young and me on a piece of cardboard, speaking on a karaoke mic. Haha turns out the US Capitol police had different requirements!

My clearest memory was ProfessirX posting his Forever Superman song here on CC. I still think of him as our Angel from New Jersey. The day of the rally was Dana and Chris Reeve's wedding anniversary. It was so bittersweet for her. I remember her smiling through her tears as she hugged ProfessirX after that performance.

I mistakenly thought ProfessirX's sidekick was named Jihad, but he is Jahid. I remember telling Richard (ProfessirX) that we can't take a dude named Jihad to DC LOL.

Kate, my bank is a hassle. Do you have a paypal acct? I don't know why the bank won't give you your money!
    Ppl were so generous. Those rallies never made any money to my knowledge but it was financially risky, as individuals, going forward w/out knowing for sure how we'd pay for it all. If we failed the steering committee was on the hook. Our group thought big, thank goodness.

I always request donations to u2fp when ppl die. I know how they spend their money...VERY frugally. My kindof non-profit!

I remember opening the lobbying floodgates on Cap Hill. Each constituent has to make their own appointments but we provided them w/ lobbying packets etc. CDRF did that, actually, plus gave some excellent grassroots advocacy advice. Every person had to speak their own conscience. As for me, I was unwilling to advocate for embryonic stem cell research b/c Pres. Bush had already declared that a no-go. I went after the C Reeve Paralysis Act instead. Learned a lot about dirty, self-righteous politicians and their low-down lying ways. We did get that bill passed...Only 2% of bills are ever passed! Now we need to go after funding for it but I'm too tired. And unbelievably the economy has gotten worse since then!
    Last edited by betheny; 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM.
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Your work

Hello Betheny,

I applaud your efforts, you have made a difference! Hope you find the strength to push ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by bilby2 View Post
        Hello Betheny,

I applaud your efforts, you have made a difference! Hope you find the strength to push ahead.
        Thanks! I have missed you! No way of predicting the future but I am much healthier than I've been in years. Graves disease knocked me out of the game far worse than sci. Once I got Graves, my advocacy had to end.

Graves is totally stress related. The only upside to losing my whole family is that was the end of stress. No more fear of the phone ringing late at night. I was left solidly lower-to-middle class, no fears there as I spend v. little.

It's v. nice to hear you thought I made a difference. I've missed you!
        Blog:
        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

sorry

Sorry to hear about your problems, glad you are doing better.

All you ladies and guys that did and do all the cure advocacy are amazing. If I ever walk again, I would get down on my knees and thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by betheny View Post
            Graves is totally stress related. The only upside to losing my whole family is that was the end of stress. No more fear of the phone ringing late at night. I was left solidly lower-to-middle class, no fears there as I spend v. little.

It's v. nice to hear you thought I made a difference. I've missed you!
            Graves can be a challenge and energy is tough to find at times.
            Last edited by c473s; 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bilby2 View Post
              Hello Kate,

I read through all your blogs, I think a book is a great idea. Best of luck to you.
              Good grief! Are you a new (impossible to improve) bilby? Or are you my old friend bilby? I've been wondering what became of the former for years ~~

Comment

hello

Hello Kate,

If I posted in the political forum you would have no doubt. lol You are a blessing to this community, I am humbled by your dedication! Hope your family is well.

Comment

Is the book available yet?

Comment

Any news on completion ?

Comment

Any word on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
                        Any word on this?
                        I was asked via kickstarter the address to send my copies a few days ago, so I guess the book must be available shortly.

Paolo
                        In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

it's available on lulu.com

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kate-willet...-21040246.html

i just ordered a copy yesterday.

Comment

"Hard-copy versions of the book are currently available for order at Lulu.com in a large format, spiral binding that is easy to manipulate. Additional print and electronic versions will be available soon from Amazon"

http://u2fp.org/working-2-walk-2012-the-book/
                            In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Yep, it's done.

I wanted to wait to make the announcement until it was out in all the formats, which are:

spiral bound from lulu.com for people who find the usual books hard to manage
                              regular (called "perfect") binding from either lulu or amazon, tho' lulu is quicker
                              nook
                              kindle

Right now you can order either of the first two by going to lulu.com and typing Working2Walk into the search box. We're working out the glitches in getting it properly formatted to nook and kindle; that will happen in the next week or so.

When you do the search on the lulu.com page, you see the same image twice. The first option that comes up is spiral bound, and the one underneath it is perfect bound.

Amazon will only publish the perfect bound version . . . a source of much head-banging at my house, because I wanted the spiral binding so that all the people who wanted to read it would be able to manage it. (My own husband has trouble holding a regular book and turning its pages, right? Why would I publish something he couldn't easily read?) If the perfect format works for you and you like amazon.com, you'll be able to go there and buy it next Tuesday or Wednesday. If you wait another week or so, you'll be able to get a kindle or nook version.

Anyway.

I kind of love it. I definitely love that it's actually done, and that people will get to have it and read it before w2w 2013 goes to Boston. I can't even start to tell you how much I learned in the process of writing it -- like, the stuff I didn't know would have filled a whole 'nother volume.

Those of you who kicked in over at kickstarter: THANK YOU! Your copies will be arriving very soon, and if you haven't given me addresses where to send them yet, please do it.

I'm so ready to hear what has moved forward since last year, and for the first time ever I think I might be capable of asking an informed question. Which is awesome.

Comment

Here is a link to a review of Working 2 Walk 2012.

John
                                "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Comment

Working...
                                X