Da cure is coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    Interesting, my quote from that thread, China net, you got 6 years.

"I do believe Dr. Borgens will be offering an effective treatment but not anywhere near full return within 3 years, it will mainly involve increases in sensory return, not motor function so much. As far as a more effective treatment that offers greater return of function, I think it will be Dr. Young with Chinanet, but that could be around 2015 or so give or take."
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
      Somehow or another I just lost all hope any type of cure will ever happen. I think between the years 2000 and 2008 just ended up taking most of the wind out of my sails that I had. I am still happy with my life, but just feel very sad for those who are worse off than me. I fear for what the future holds for all those who have been paralyzed for many years, it does not get any easier as we age with SCI.
      i feel you! after 18 and half years of being told in five years every fives years i don't see a cure in my lifetime. i do think they will someday i just hope it happens so future people and the people new to sci will get a chance at a full life.
      Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Comment

Originally posted by cripple4life View Post
        i feel you! after 18 and half years of being told in five years every fives years i don't see a cure in my lifetime. i do think they will someday i just hope it happens so future people and the people new to sci will get a chance at a full life.
        the sad and evil part is that the science to cure sci is not what is holding back the cure.

Comment

Originally posted by cripple4life View Post
          I have seen others on here say this and i find it hard to believe. I have been injured 33 years and only once heard this and that was maybe 4-5 years ago when Barth Green on TV said 5 years when MP's big break through was announced. I would bet that 15 minutes after that statement he realized he screwed up.

Just 2 months ago another young man in Yankton joined our club, I spoke with family and doctors told him/them he'd never walk again. gave no hope and no 5 year statement.

I don't believe that no doctors in the past has ever said 5 years. Maybe an uneducated optimistic patient or a parent wanting so bad to not want to see their child like this but not a doc. or a snake oil salesman

I think this 5 year thing comes in great part from the short visions of the sci care only view and the realistic fear of a cure. This is real and I've personaly witnesed it many times in visits with fellow sci who have been injured 5 years and beyond.

no science until now has been available to backup a 5 year statement, so if made by a doc it was a very cruel thing and this i doubt.
          http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

Originally posted by DA View Post
            the sad and evil part is that the science to cure sci is not what is holding back the cure.
            I AGREE with you DA!

Not often DA ... and this may be a first and may sadly a last agreement ... although I hope we both see more eye to eye on issues and other thinking as we both evolve in life.

I AGREE WITH YOU ... "DA notes ...'the sad and evil part is that the science to cure sci is not what is holding back the cure' "

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

TWITTER: @MacBerry

Comment

Leo, I just tried to get the shot of Miami's announcement from 2004 on this thread, but it didn't work. The file may be too big (26 MB). I'm sorry. It's worth seeing, I think!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                I have seen others on here say this and i find it hard to believe. I have been injured 33 years and only once heard this and that was maybe 4-5 years ago when Barth Green on TV said 5 years when MP's big break through was announced. I would bet that 15 minutes after that statement he realized he screwed up.

Just 2 months ago another young man in Yankton joined our club, I spoke with family and doctors told him/them he'd never walk again. gave no hope and no 5 year statement.

I don't believe that no doctors in the past has ever said 5 years. Maybe an uneducated optimistic patient or a parent wanting so bad to not want to see their child like this but not a doc. or a snake oil salesman

I think this 5 year thing comes in great part from the short visions of the sci care only view and the realistic fear of a cure. This is real and I've personaly witnesed it many times in visits with fellow sci who have been injured 5 years and beyond.

no science until now has been available to backup a 5 year statement, so if made by a doc it was a very cruel thing and this i doubt.
                agreed. i think some of it's wishful thinking turned projection.

Comment

I agree with DA about buying a cure. Let the rich sci's fund the trial.In history I am sure there are some examples of money going first. DA, I would happily contribute to your cure fund.

Comment

Wise is WISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only guy that thinks this man is a genius far beyond his research skills. This man gets it all around,Thank You Wise
                    Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                    "Da cure is coming..." Sometimes, I feel like I am singing the refrain of a church hymn. I believe that the cure is coming but I don't know when. I don't know when because the obstacles to a cure are not scientific but sociological and economic.

Many people have been posting their frustration with how long it is taking for treatments to get to clinical trial. Some people have called out for restricting certain avenues of research to pursue ones that are more likely to yield immediate results. Some people have opposed certain types of research (embryonic stem cells, for example) that many scientists consider to be promising not only for spinal cord injury but for other conditions. A few have blamed scientists for the slow progress.

I would like to urge people to consider the following:

First, spinal cord injury research is not and should not be a zero-sum game. A zero-sum game refers to a situation where all the resources are limited and if you shift resources to one area, it takes it from another. We must understand that spinal cord injury is a small part of a large research enterprise that is attempting the reverse the age-old dogma that the central nervous system cannot be repaired or regenerated, or recover from injuries. The CNS restoration field is in turn part of a much larger neuroscience effort. The neuroscience effort is part of a huge biomedical science effort. Stopping research in one arena (such as embryonic stem cell work) does not mean that the saved funds will be diverted into spinal cord injury research. Nor does it mean that having such research will steal money from spinal cord injury research.

Second, think not of just yourself but also future generations. To say that we should eschew research that does not benefit the current generation but that is likely to benefit future generations is an unacceptable position to take. We must not allow society to force us into that choice. We must demand that research funding be adequate for both the current and future generations. Incidentally, the spinal cord injury community is divided regarding the possibility of a cure that will come in time to benefit the current generation. Almost everybody, however, agrees that the research will benefit future generations. To oppose research that will benefit future generations because it will not benefit yourself is ultimately selfish.

Third, we must understand the obstacles to progress of therapies to clinical trial. The obstacles are not scientists or their attitudes, as suggested by some in these forums. The scientists are doing what they should be doing... delivering data from animal studies, trying to convince the world that these are promising treatments that should be taken to clinical trial, and working very hard to ensure that the data is as reliable and predictive as possible. The obstacles are:

• Lack of funding for clinical trials. The government and companies are not investing. Charitable foundations do not have enough funds. This is a serious problem and this is problem that the spinal cord injury community can and should solve.

• Slow clinical education. Many of the doctors in the field are not up on the latest in spinal cord injury research. They do not come to the meetings or read the journals. Even worse, they may not understand or believe what is happening when they do come into contact with the information.

• Fractured spinal cord injury community. While many members of our community belies and supports a cure, this is not the case for most people with spinal cord injury. It is frightening to me how many people and families with spinal cord injury are totally silent when it comes to research. Some even openly oppose research funding. If you don't believe this, just look at how much the National Institutes of Health is spending on spinal cord injury research... less that $100 million per year.

As I have said time again, we are behaving like a wagon train that has circled but all the guns are pointing inward. Until we start addressing the real reasons why therapies are taking a lot time to develop, it will take a long time.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                      Who is it you refer to having the realistic fear of a cure? The rehabilitation will be longer and possibly even have a gap between initial treatment and cell growth so I can't image the rehab facilities having any fear.

Comment

Originally posted by c473s View Post
                        Who is it you refer to having the realistic fear of a cure? The rehabilitation will be longer and possibly even have a gap between initial treatment and cell growth so I can't image the rehab facilities having any fear.
                        most of my sci friends had a hard time believing it was possible after so many years. after i went to china for oeg and got a bit of sensation back they literally had to touch me before they would believe it.

after so long of hearing it's not possible you believe it.

i believe it's a no brainer that this science will translate to TBI recovery

but mention that to a parent whose son/daughter has been injured a while they will look at you like your nuts and change the subject

it's complicated
                        http://justadollarplease.org/

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

I hear ya Leo.

Dr. Young had to bring the SCINetUSA Protocol Committee to China to see first hand what progress is being made. Once we saw with our own eyes we were in agreement it must be done HERE.

Comment

jim, really? Where?
                            "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

lunasicc42,

Here's the thread I posted about the trip-/forum/showthread.php?t=118015

Comment

i read the first post of this thread.i went on and on reading...and later i read and found the DATES 2002!! i was set aback..from 2002 to 2009, still trials going...Now CURE has to come..and it will in this two years...yes.
                                ChemistOnline.in

Comment

Working...
                                X