Roman Reed vetoed. Organize for the next battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roman Reed vetoed. Organize for the next battle

Many of you may already know, but Governor Jerry Brown vetoed the Roman Reed law on Monday (or Tuesday in Japan).

We now need to take what we learned and organize more for the next battle to cure paralysis. I urge those who aren't already doing other things (or even if you are) to sign up for CureCaptains to make sure we are organized the next time around be it in California, or Minnesota, Sydney, London, or Brazil.
    All the information can be found at www.but.ly/curecaptain
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

This is very disappointing. The governor says he doesn't want to load more cost on traffic tickets. In California if person gets 4 moving violations in a year they can lose their license, so the burden on a individual is nothing or in worst case $4. I feel that's not enough, personally. I'm just disappointed

http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy...research-bill/

You did a good job tho, thanks for keeping us updated.

Comment

Does anyone know if they have a similar Bill in NY? If not, the elections for state senate is coming up soon and one of the candidate's office is around my block. I would like to ask him if he would support a similar bill before I vote.

Comment

So, Alabama cares more about SCI research than California. Who would have guessed? See the TJ Atchison Spinal Cord Injury Research. http://www.cbs42.com/content/health/...pkGU3_h2w.cspx

Also, Florida has the Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Program (BSCIP) which is funded by fines. See http://www.doh.state.fl.us/demo/brainsc/index.html

Speeders have friends in high places in California.

Comment

awww more cost for traffic tickets?

i have to buy medical supplies just to go pee.

jerry brown must not know anyone with a sci.

Comment

not suprizeing from a democrat

Comment

Originally posted by blairc7 View Post
              not suprizeing from a democrat
              Because of the Dems' noted hatred of big government? Or their notorious opposition to stem cell research on the basis of ancient superstition? Or their hatred of cripples, best evidenced by Democrat Ted Kennedy's campaign against the ADA?

I know most sci's have room temperature IQs, but the above post is evidence that the Founders were right - the masses should not be allowed to vote.

Comment

I'm shocked that a liberal like Moonbeam didn't support this!
                2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple Z View Post
                  Does anyone know if they have a similar Bill in NY? If not, the elections for state senate is coming up soon and one of the candidate's office is around my block. I would like to ask him if he would support a similar bill before I vote.
                  The eight other states that have measures for programs like this are: Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, and Alabama. California would have been the 9th.
                  http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
                    The eight other states that have measures for programs like this are: Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, and Alabama. California would have been the 9th.
                    Did you forget these?
                    1. Georgia: http://www.braininjurygeorgia.org/trustfund.htm
                    2. Louisiana: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/126

There may be more, but these popped up when I searched. Now, I'm not saying the funds are used for research, but they are used to help care for SCIs and are funded from traffic fines.
                    Last edited by khmorgan; 19 Sep 2012, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjg View Post
                      Because of the Dems' noted hatred of big government? Or their notorious opposition to stem cell research on the basis of ancient superstition? Or their hatred of cripples, best evidenced by Democrat Ted Kennedy's campaign against the ADA?

I know most sci's have room temperature IQs, but the above post is evidence that the Founders were right - the masses should not be allowed to vote.
                      i see the truth hurts. ramble on .lol

Comment

Originally posted by khmorgan View Post
                        Did you forget these? Now, I'm not saying the funds are used for research, but they are used to help care for SCIs.
                        No, I didn't forget them. The comparison was specifically to the California measure that pours money directly into spinal cord injury research.
                        http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

thank you so much to the Reeds and others who did the heavy lifting.

We'll get this next round.

Our South Dakota like legislation failed for what seems like same reason, the judicial branch's clout and opposition.

must be persistant
                          http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

Thanks for the updates.

We may lose a few battles, but we will win the war, and we'll be wiser next time.

Comment

I think many people will be surprised at Don Reed's interpretation of why Governor Brown vetoed the bill.

I'm just going to cut and past in by blog entry which quotes Don Reed's recent article on this issue.

here it is:http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...e-are-not.html

It was a law that WE supported. That WE backed by sending emails and faxes.

In the end, despite all our efforts, the governor of California, Mr. Jerry Brown, vetoed the law. But he didn't simply veto a law, he let down the paralyzed. He didn't just let us down in words, he let us down by taking away about $3 million dollars from the cure paralysis war chest.

There is a lot of discussion about why he did it, and since I'm no expert on California politics, the source I trust for this information is Mr. Don Reed, whose son Roman Reed the bill is named after. In Mr. Reed's latest post on StemCell Battes (www.stemcellbattles.com) he has this to say in regards to Governor Jerry Brown's reasons.

"Why did Jerry Brown do it? He stood by his beliefs. He does not approve of fee-based government, believing programs should be paid for by the General Fund, not traffic tickets, already so expensive a poor person may not be able to pay them at all.

I understand that position, and agree with it.

But our program was funded by the General Fund, for $1.5 million a year.
                              Then, two years ago, due to the economy, our funding was removed.
                              We either had to find a new way to pay for the program, or watch it die.
                              "

Mr. Reed is clear about the reasons why funding does not come from the general fund as it should and does not blame Governor Brown.

"Important: I do not hold a grudge against Jerry Brown. He has an impossible task to perform. There is not enough money in the General Fund. That is not his fault, and it is the reason our program's original funding was removed.
                              Here is the problem.

Republicans have gamed the system. It has become virtually impossible to raise taxes on the rich. In California, Proposition 13, (a citizen's initiative funded by anti-tax groups), made it illegal to raise taxes without a 2/3 majority. Since virtually all Republicans sign a no-new-taxes pledge, the needed 2/3 majority is virtually impossible to achieve. This must change.
                              I strongly support Governor Brown's tax increase on upper-income Californians. If programs like ours, or school budget increases, or anything at all progressive to have a chance, taxes on the wealthy must go up.
                              "

I am actually of the same opinion. We shouldn't have to rely on add ons to fund research that changes the lives of people, but the Reeds knew that without the $1 add on, research funding for a paralysis cure would suffer, and we the paralyzed and our family and friends will also continue suffering.

So, do we give up? The Reeds aren't and are ready to go back at it starting in January. I say that we all continue to back them. After having gone through a half year of this, we're smarter and more ready than ever to take on part III of this battle.

I urge you to sign up as a Cure Captain to make sure we're all spreading the word. Not only in our Roman Reed campaign, but with all the other campaigns we are involved in for paralysis cure.

Also, sending a quick fax to Governor Brown to let you know that you are disappointed by his decision would be a good idea. You can find a template and fax details at my blog. http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...e-are-not.html
                              Dennis Tesolat
                              www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
                              Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                              X