Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Project

Dear CareCure Forum Members,

Following Will Ambler's example, Bruno and I have decided to start a similar project to find a curative therapy for SCI. We think that going this way will greatly increase the chances of us walking. The goal of our project is SUCCESSFUL CLINICAL TRIALS. We don't want to waste time and money on discoveries, that many researchers do these days (let them do their thing). We don't want to and jump from one ground-breaking discovery to the next, working only with mice, and not even knowing if it would work for people. We want to use what is available today.

We have an agreement with a group of researchers. To REALLY save money we are going to work with scientists and clinicians from Russia. But we thought it would be a good idea to have an American scientist to visit them, monitor their work, and maybe help them.

Dr. Young, you've been to Moscow, haven't you? Do you think you could help us find someone to go there ones or twice for a week or so when the trials start, or even before the human trials to check the cells cultures- in other words, to be our trusted expert? Maybe one of your advanced students would like to go, or maybe you would like to go there yourself and then write an article about it for us?

This is the group of Professor Bruhovetsky, the one that I went to last summer for a stem cell injection. That treatment had any positive effect on only 40% of patients (no major improvements), so it was stopped. Professor Raisman from England visited the group, and they are now working on new methods. They also had developed two types of polymer gel that we want to use for our project.

The detailed protocol for the treatment is going to be put together very soon. But in general the treatment would be a transplant of polymer-based gel with growth factors, OEG cells taken from the nasal cavity (mucous), plus some other stuff (stem cells, cytoxines).

Since, many similar experiments have been performed, a short preclinical trial on mice will be required (probably would take about three months to see some regeneration). And then (around the end of this year or beginning of the next) human trials would take place.

Right now we're in the process of registering the American part of our organization with IRS as non-profit. The other European part will be located in Portugal. We are also in the process of making a web site. We would like to hear any ideas on how to make this project better and more effective. We also need a name for our project and a logo for our web site, so we would appreciate any help. All ideas are very welcome.

Thank you,
    Dmitriy and Bruno

Dmitriy & Bruno

This is exciting. Thank you for announcing the project here. Hopefully you will get needed support from community members!

For anyone interested in Dr. Bruhovetsky's past work there's a detailed topic here.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

exciting!

Will this treatment also stop inhibition? I was reading about NOGO.
      I'll try to think of a name.

Jan

Comment

Dimitriy, if I can help in any way, I will try hard. I have not yet been to Russia although I have been planning to get over there for some years now. Wise.

Comment

You guys are awesome! Things like this make me feel very optimistic and positive about the near future.

Doesn't get any more grass-roots than this does it? Right on!
          "Oh yeah life goes on
          Long after the thrill of livin is gone"

John Cougar Mellencamp

Comment

Good news

Dmitriy you can use the logo I did for our posters and tee shirt idea. I have ordered some shirts with it on there but I can add you web adresse to the furture orders of shirts when you get that part up and running. I will email the logo to you and you are welcome to use if if you want to.
            "No mother on either side could say that whatever was won was worth my son"--Steve Mason

Comment

EXCELLENT....can more of us do the same?

Comment

Go ,go, go

Are you also including the use of chondroitinase abc in your test?

Comment

Yes

Yes everyone can use it. Call Kimberly, she has them the shirts set up to print. I dont think it would be a problem to add and deleate things if you wanted to.
                  "No mother on either side could say that whatever was won was worth my son"--Steve Mason

Comment

Thanks a lot Dr.Wise Young, if you are willing to check them out later, when the project is ongoig, it would certainly give our project a serious credibility and trust on us.
                    About the Scientifical aspect of the project, we really cannot comment on it, because we don't know exactly the protocol., When we have it, we will post it here..,
                    Ideias to give more awareness to this, would be great [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

thanks,
                    Bruno

Comment

Wow! Everyone,

Thank for your support, we will surely need it. This project is at very beginning stage, but if other people can do it, why not us also. Therefore if we give it a shot, why not make it the best one possible. It is been five years recently for me, I know that many people here were in the chairs much longer than that, but I also know that it shouldn't be this way. We need all help we can find- members, helpers, ideas on organization, fundraising and even the treatment itself (of course if the scientists would be able to execute it). If you have any experience with similar projects give us tips, we will appreciate it.

Dr. Wise Young, thank you for your support. Since we're not scientists we would need as much help as possible. I wish we knew more a lot more about SCI. Bruhovetsky's group is very enthusiastic about working with other scientists. And in Russia right now a very favorable time for clinical trials, but not much funding.

Chastev8, Which one is that? Is that the one that says, "Our Dream - To Stand, Our Hope is You Support Research"? There are several of those, which one do you mean?

FellowHawkeye and Kim, The treatment is just that what we mentioned. And as Bruno said, as we will have more details we'll post them.

How does this sound: "World/International Spinal Cord Restoration Group"?

Dmitriy and Bruno

Comment

Good luck

Dmitry & Bruno.

Great effort!

We're looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Onward and Upward!

Comment

Yes about the Logo

Yes Dmitriy. That is the logo, but I dont like the dream part--im not about seeking simpathy from anyone, I all about kicking ass and getting people to do what they know is right. I see the shutter in people eyes when they see a wheelchair guy comming in somewhere, they know it sucks being in a chair. I dont think streesing the point is a waist of time and energy that can be directed at projects like yours. So I can send you the Logo without that part. The shirts I ordered will have "Paralysis Cures Now" above the logo. This is the name that Emi and I un-officaly agreed on. You are welcome to use the name too if it will work for you. I think that people have pittered out on all those great ideas and all the good energy they created. I am still trying to keep it alive and will do all that I said I would, if you can use any of it, you are welcome to it. I tried to send you the logo but your profile does not have you email on it.

Comment

Yes about the logo---the corrected version

Yes Dmitriy. That is the logo, but I don't like the dream part--I'm not about seeking sympathy from anyone, I all about kicking ass and getting people to do what they know is right. I see the shutter in people eyes when they see a wheelchair guy coming in somewhere; they know it sucks being in a chair. I think stressing the point is a waist of time and energy that can be directed at projects like yours. So I can send you the Logo without that part. The shirts I ordered will have "Paralysis Cures Now" above the logo. This is the name that Emi and I un-officially agreed on. You are welcome to use the name too if it will work for you. I think that people have pittered out on all those great ideas and all the good energy they created. I am still trying to keep it alive and will do all that I said I would, if you can use any of it, you are welcome to it. I tried to send you the logo but your profile does not have you email on it.

Comment

I haven't lost the will to do something with the logo shirts. Just got a LOT overwhelming familywise here this past week or so. Kim, I'll have my fax on early Tuesday morning so I can get the latest of whatever was decided on as far as design, colors and wording. Talk to you then.

WTG Dmitriy and Bruno! [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img] Now I really wish I had learned Cryllic.
                              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                              X