No announcement yet.

Stem Cell Institute in Panama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rahilka, are you excited about what your brother will be doing in Panama ?
    www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

Comment

Originally posted by rahilka View Post
      @Jim (and others) - we had his ASIA scores taken by his physical therapist a week or two ago - I plan to post them to his blog as soon as I get a copy for myself. And we definitely plan to get him retested periodically when we get back. Our sister is actually in her final year of a doctorate program for physical therapy right now, and she's going to write a paper about his results, so we're definitely trying to be as scientific and unbiased as possible in measuring his results.
      Excellent Rahilka!

intheknowstemcells, you claim to know what they are doing there and expect us to believe what you say as fact. Are you affiliated with The Stem Cell in Panama? If not, how do you know so much about them?

Comment

@Colin - I'm excited and apprehensive and everything in between. But, yes - he wants very much to try this, and as his sister, I want it for him - so I am excited that we're making it happen.

Also, I have a lot of scientific curiosity, and there is such a wide range of opinions out there about this type of treatment -I am excited to finally get in there and find out for ourselves whether it's all hype, or whether there's something there. Even if he gets no benefits from it in the long run, I won't regret doing it - I'll just chalk it up as a very expensive, but still worthwhile, learning experience. And as I think I may have said before - he'll have a month of intense physical therapy there, he'll have a month of living semi-independently again, he'll be on a plane and out of the country for the first time since his injury, he'll have increased motivation from this for months - that's all worth something, and I'm excited that this opportunity comes with all those other experiences for him.

Comment

Cant help but to think of the jpg(http://sci-ence.org/comics/2012-01-09-redflags2.jpg) that was posted today.

Lots of heart felt testimonials.

Claims of being able to treat almost every major disease,
          " multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, heart disease, autoimmune diseases, cerebral palsy and autism. To-date, we’ve treated over 1,000 patients."

Procedure so easily done.

BUT, nothing scientific to back up there claims. No DATA of any type, testimonials aren't enough!
          "I'm manic as hell-
          But I'm goin' strong-
          Left my meds on the sink again-
          My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Comment

@Rahilka - Good luck to your brother and family. I look forward to reading the updates and hopefully positive results, because I believe if history is anything to go by then we are still 10-20 years away from seeing a 'legitimate' (FDA approved) first stage treatment. Of course this is only my opinion.

Good Luck I wish you all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
              Excellent Rahilka!

intheknowstemcells, you claim to know what they are doing there and expect us to believe what you say as fact. Are you affiliated with The Stem Cell in Panama? If not, how do you know so much about them?
              Ummm.... I copied and pasted something from their web site. That's why I included the link so you could check for yourself like I did. I suppose you can believe what's on the site or not. I find it amusing that everyone is ok with accepting what Wise Young says as fact without checking anything like I did.

See for yourself: http://www.cellmedicine.com/treatmen...l-cord-injury/

And just for the record, I don't recall claiming to know anything about what they are doing in Panama. I made a post about that 60 minutes story being a biased hack job (which it is) and gave evidence as to why that is the case. Then I pointed out that Wise Young's statement about what he found on a web site doesn't match what is actually on that site.

Am I missing something?

Comment

If you have too much money and don't mind wasting it, these offshore stem cell companies certainly will help you do it with false hope and promises.

But, thinking 60 Minutes would sell out to a big drug company really is a bit far fetched. 60 Minutes would rather nail a big drug company than 10 pedophile ex-doctors.

If you don't believe 60 Minutes, check out http://stanmed.stanford.edu/2011spring/article3.html . I don't think anyone could buy off Stanford without raising a bit of a stink.

Every scam needs someone in need, someone with a good story, and a shill. I think we have all three here.

Comment

FYI, I have posted Daniel's pre-treatment ASIA scores to his blog. As promised, we will eventually post post-treatment ASIA scores, as well. http://danielleonard.weebly.com/blog.html

We are on day 3 in Panama. I will post my impressions to the blog soon, but so far everyone is friendly and professional, all of the facilities are super clean, our apartment is fantastic, and the weather is beautiful. The main disappointment so far is the state of the sidewalks here - most of them don't have ramps to get on to the sidewalk, making it near impossible for an electric wheelchair user to go anywhere.

Comment

I truly hope that your brother gets positive results from this treatment, however I think he will probably benefit more from PT than anything else. Looking at his ASIA scores I imagine he has great room for improvement just from therapy. When you come back to the US try to get him to one of the model SCI centers that have the most advanced equipment and knowledgeable professionals to get get his full potential. I only the Shepherd Center but I know there are several just as good. I've seen such great recoveries there. My husband's injury is complete and he hasn't regained anything below certain level, but he's seen great improvement in his core and the control of his body.
                    Keep us posted. I wish you the best.

Comment

I agree. Shepherd is a fantastic place for recovery ! I'm actually going back later this month.

Comment

Panama you said
                        ain't that the country whose's past president was one of the worlds largest drug barons and
                        now in jail my opinion another banana republic like the Domenican Republic where Radar has set up his scam .
                        Of all the millions upon millions that have been pumped into stem cell research, and years (nearly a decade) of hearing about trials and treatment facilities nothing whatsoever zero i mean absolutely zero has been proven that stem cells are even safe never mind can treat SCI.
                        This is the plain unadulterated truth. All one can say is that stem cells are a interesting venture and hope for the best. After watching the X-cell centre hijack nearly every SCI site i will not be surprised if they open up there under another name.
                        On another note as you said this treatment is experimental it should be them who should be paying you and not vice-versa and
                        this is my opinion
                        Last edited by peterf; 02-10-2012, 02:02 PM. Reason: r

Comment

Originally posted by intheknowstemcells View Post
                          His response is pretty fair but he was incorrect about what he said regarding the stem cells they use to treat spinal cord injury. He said they use cells from the patient's own fat and bone marrow. This is what their web site says:

http://www.cellmedicine.com/treatmen...l-cord-injury/

Which types of stem cells does the Stem Cell Institute use to treat spinal cord injury and how are they collected?

The adult stem cells used to treat spinal cord injuries at the Stem Cell Institute come from two sources: the patient’s own bone marrow (autologous mesenchymal and CD34+) and human umbilical cord (allogeneic mesenchymal and CD34+).

A licensed anesthesiologist harvests bone marrow from both hips under light general anesthesia in a hospital operating room. This procedure takes about 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Before they are administered to the patient, these bone marrow-derived stem cells must pass testing for quality, bacterial contamination (aerobic and anaerobic) and endotoxin.

Stem cells are also recovered from donated umbilical cords. These umbilical cord stem cells are screened for viruses and bacteria to International Blood Bank Standards.
                          intheknowstemcells,

Before you claim that I was incorrect in my response, you should take a look at the date of my post. I posted it in 9/30/2010. It was about one and a half years ago. At the time that I looked at the web site, they were offering only autologous cells (bone marrow and fat cells). Since I work on umbilical cord blood cells, if they had offered such cells, I would have noticed and commented on that.

I have recently talked to a father of a spinal-injured person who went and visited this group in Panama. It is true that Miami Project has been referring some patients to them. I learned from this father that they are not using HLA-matched umbilical cord blood cells and that the umbilical cord blood cells are obtained locally in Panama rather than a certified cord blood bank.

Before anybody agrees to the transplants, they should find out what tests were done to rule out infections. For example, people should ask whether they tested the mother for sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS and syphilis, as well as common viruses such as cytomegalovirus and hepatitis? It is not enough to test the cells. The mother must be tested.

I wonder what criteria they are using to isolate so-called mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow and umbilical cord blood? At the time of my last comment in 2010, I pointed out if this group has a GTP facility, this would be better than most of the other places. However, I wonder who gave them this certification. I doubt that they have a US FDA certified GTP facility.

They will be injecting the cells intravenously or intrathecally, not into the spinal cord. Many animal studies have shown that few or no cells will enter the spinal cord injury site (particularly in chronic spinal cord injury) from intravenous or intrathecal injections. Be skeptical if they are claiming that the cells will get into spinal cord through these two routes of administration.

Several groups have injected bone marrow cells intrathecally into several hundred patients, for example in Bombay and Cairo. I don't think that the results from these studies have been sufficiently impressive to claim that the treatment has restored significant function in even a small minority of patients. It would be important to ask them to indicate how many of their patients recovered how much motor and sensory function.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by T11T12 View Post
                            I truly hope that your brother gets positive results from this treatment, however I think he will probably benefit more from PT than anything else. Looking at his ASIA scores I imagine he has great room for improvement just from therapy. When you come back to the US try to get him to one of the model SCI centers that have the most advanced equipment and knowledgeable professionals to get get his full potential. I only the Shepherd Center but I know there are several just as good. I've seen such great recoveries there. My husband's injury is complete and he hasn't regained anything below certain level, but he's seen great improvement in his core and the control of his body.
                            Keep us posted. I wish you the best.
                            You need to plan ahead for treatment at any of the better facilities here in the states. Coming in after this you would more likely be a candidate for day program or a wellness program like Beyond Therapy to work on core then trace muscles they can find and bring in with estim. BT waits at Shepherd are about 4 months. Day program waits shorter or BT in Franklin, TN is in between in time to get in. Not sure about Project Walk or RIM in Michigan.

Comment

"zero has been proven that stem cells are even safe". ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????

Originally posted by peterf View Post
                              Panama you said
                              ain't that the country whose's past president was one of the worlds largest drug barons and
                              now in jail my opinion another banana republic like the Domenican Republic where Radar has set up his scam .
                              Of all the millions upon millions that have been pumped into stem cell research, and years (nearly a decade) of hearing about trials and treatment facilities nothing whatsoever zero i mean absolutely zero has been proven that stem cells are even safe never mind can treat SCI.
                              This is the plain unadulterated truth. All one can say is that stem cells are a interesting venture and hope for the best. After watching the X-cell centre hijack nearly every SCI site i will not be surprised if they open up there under another name.
                              On another note as you said this treatment is experimental it should be them who should be paying you and not vice-versa and
                              this is my opinion

Comment

That guy must have a sticky ? key lol

Comment

Working...
                                X