No announcement yet.

Stem Cell Institute in Panama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a heck of a lot of money to spend on a treatment like that. Yikes.
    www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

Comment

I will keep up with his blog Good luck to you guys!
      Originally posted by rahilka View Post
      @RDF - You're familiar with the University of Miami and their SCI research, right? They have the Miami Project there, and their hospital. When I was in Panama, the people I talked to at the Stem Cell Institute told me that the University of Miami (they didn't specify exactly who, and I didn't ask) has referred SCI patients to them. Granted, I have not contacted the University of Miami to verify that.

The nursing home really isn't ideal - but he lives in a fairly small town, so there aren't a lot of resources available. There is a new state program that may provide funding for him to live independently and have a caregiver come in, and we're looking into that now. Obviously we're hoping for some benefits from this therapy that will help him be able to be more independent.

I'm pretty sure I know what Wise Young would say - I think he's a really smart guy, but everything I've read from him has been pretty down on experimental therapies. Not that I'm not open to that opinion - just that I've heard plenty of strong opinions on both sides, and at this point, we're determined to try it.

Thanks for the well wishes! Hope you follow the blog!
      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

I would certainly be asking a ton of questions and questioning their answers. It makes me wonder why the treatments are only thousands when some would pay millions if it was so great. I wish you guys luck!

Comment

check this out from ESPN

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7481146

I still remain in the better safe than sorry camp. In other words I prefer any science to be validated thru a process that leaves no doubt that the treatment will help me and not harm me. Been injured since 7pm January 13, 1990 and will continue to wait for the right treatment.
          Last edited by ineedmyelin; 22 Jan 2012, 9:22 PM.
          "I'm manic as hell-
          But I'm goin' strong-
          Left my meds on the sink again-
          My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Comment

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7481146
            Very cool
            Gg
            c5 complete
            www.individualdifferencesinc.org

Comment

Suzzane Summers on Access Hollywood, regrew her breast with stem cells in Japan.

as much as i am against promoting stem cell tourism or i found the following thread very interesting.

http://investorstemcell.com/forum/ac...opic/12824.htm
              "I'm manic as hell-
              But I'm goin' strong-
              Left my meds on the sink again-
              My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Comment

60 minutes was a one-sided hack job

Originally posted by rdf View Post
                They want you to keep coming back for more "treatments" until they've drained your family's bank account.

Please watch the 60 minute segment on stem cells.

Before or after you watch this story I think it's important to point out that they were exposing a total fraud who, they wanted you to know by the way, happens to also be a child molester. This story has no bearing whatsoever on stem cell treatments in Panama (or anywhere else) any more than it is a reflection on medical doctors who practice in Alabama.

Dr. Kurtzberg talks about there being no evidence that cord blood derived stem cells can treat cerebral palsy, etc and yet she just took $10 million for a clinical trial to study just that; based on her well-documented positive results that can be found on the internet, in newspapers, blogs, discussion boards and even on the Duke University web site! Before she was ever approved for a clinical trial, she was treating children at Duke and charging them money for it. This history stretches back at least 5 years.

Google this - site:duke.edu cerebral palsy stem cells

I find this story from the Duke web site particularly informative:

http://staff.pediatrics.duke.edu/mod...rint.php?id=79

Here is a story from 2007 that documents a child's "recovery" after Dr. Kurtzberg treated him with stem cells and charged the family $10,000!! No clinical trial, no animal studies...

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/batavi...7273054?zc_p=0

There are many more.

Google this - kurtzberg cerebral palsy treatment OR kurtzberg stem cell treatment

And here is the story of Adam Susser that his father and Scott Pelley didn't think was important enough to even mention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7oSedQsEZk

Lastly, 60 minutes also interviewed at least one other family whose child received stem cells and improved but they chose not to air it. They told that family, "we won't be using your story because we are doing a story about stem cell fraud."

So, that's why I say 60 minutes was a one-sided hack job...

Comment

Note that the message above is from someone who is anonymous, with nothing indicated in his/her profile of how they are such an expert on this topic, or what affiliations or special interests they represent or profit from.

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                    Note that the message above is from someone who is anonymous, with nothing indicated in his/her profile of how they are such an expert on this topic, or what affiliations or special interests they represent or profit from.

(KLD)
                    Please just review the facts and base your decision upon those presented. Who I am doesn't change the facts one bit. How does being an expert on this topic affect the information found in the given links?

"argumentum ad hominem", is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it...

Comment

rahilka,

Your brother can do a service to this community by having an American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA) Impairment Scale Examination performed before he leaves for Panama, upon his return, and 6/12 months later. This will definitively show if his neurological function improves. These exams are very precise and need to be done by an expert. I can help you find a place in your area to have it done. Send me a private message.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by intheknowstemcells View Post
                        Please just review the facts and base your decision upon those presented. Who I am doesn't change the facts one bit. How does being an expert on this topic affect the information found in the given links?

"argumentum ad hominem", is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it...
                        By the way, just to be sure my comment is not taken out of context, by "base your decision upon the facts" - I meant the decision as to whether the 60 minutes story is a biased hack job.

**Idea for before and after ASIA scores is an excellent one!

Comment

Originally posted by jim View Post
                          rahilka,

your brother can do a service to this community by having an american spinal injury association (asia) impairment scale examination performed before he leaves for panama, upon his return, and 6/12 months later. This will definitively show if his neurological function improves. These exams are very precise and need to be done by an expert. I can help you find a place in your area to have it done. Send me a private message.

Jim

..... +1
                          "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

@Jim (and others) - we had his ASIA scores taken by his physical therapist a week or two ago - I plan to post them to his blog as soon as I get a copy for myself. And we definitely plan to get him retested periodically when we get back. Our sister is actually in her final year of a doctorate program for physical therapy right now, and she's going to write a paper about his results, so we're definitely trying to be as scientific and unbiased as possible in measuring his results.

And honestly, every time I read about someone else who has done this, I always want to know their ASIA scores - I understand how important those are, so we'll be open with his.

Comment

By the way, for those who suggested that I email Wise Young about this clinic - turns out someone already has. For those who are interested, here's a link to Dr. Young's response, which I think is pretty fair: /forum/showthread.php?t=140833

Comment

Originally posted by rahilka View Post
                                By the way, for those who suggested that I email Wise Young about this clinic - turns out someone already has. For those who are interested, here's a link to Dr. Young's response, which I think is pretty fair: /forum/showthread.php?t=140833
                                His response is pretty fair but he was incorrect about what he said regarding the stem cells they use to treat spinal cord injury. He said they use cells from the patient's own fat and bone marrow. This is what their web site says:

http://www.cellmedicine.com/treatmen...l-cord-injury/

Which types of stem cells does the Stem Cell Institute use to treat spinal cord injury and how are they collected?

The adult stem cells used to treat spinal cord injuries at the Stem Cell Institute come from two sources: the patient’s own bone marrow (autologous mesenchymal and CD34+) and human umbilical cord (allogeneic mesenchymal and CD34+).

A licensed anesthesiologist harvests bone marrow from both hips under light general anesthesia in a hospital operating room. This procedure takes about 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Before they are administered to the patient, these bone marrow-derived stem cells must pass testing for quality, bacterial contamination (aerobic and anaerobic) and endotoxin.

Stem cells are also recovered from donated umbilical cords. These umbilical cord stem cells are screened for viruses and bacteria to International Blood Bank Standards.

Comment

Working...
                                X