No announcement yet.

Dr. Young on Cloning & an Opposing View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASCRM and rickhemi, Why are you harassing Dr. Young to make a statement? Actually, I know why ASCRM is harassing him but why are you doing it Rick?

Comment

Thank you Dr. Wise for trying to understand.

I am indeed looking for clear cut, night and day, differences between what is going on in Korea and what is going on in the states, even in your lab.

I have been so disillusioned and hurt and offended with the reports coming out of Korea. And was getting very concerned that I was the only one. I mean I posted the article about the colleage claiming that she was coerced by Hwang to give up her eggs, AND NOT ONE PERSON RESPONDED! Sick. I know Dr. Young did, but I think it was buried on this post and nobody saw it. I was hoping by posting it separately, it would generate a disgusted response. But nothing was said.

Kinda like when someone comes to the realization that their friends or trusted advisers aren't who you've originally thought they were. Very upsetting.

But I am waiting.

Thank you again.
      Last edited by rickhemi; 9 Jan 2006, 2:32 PM.
      Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Comment

article

this is from sunday's Boston herald-

" To assume that someone who is paralyzed today to get back any major vital functions back, which have been gone for several years, is not only foolish, but reckless, and cruelly false. A chronically injured spinal cord is like a strawberry that has been stepped on, and in order to fix it, it must be repaired to it's original state. Dr. Rubinstein continued, " we must continue to care for these afflicted individuals with what we have now, while not much I admit, but it benefits the patient more than implying that treatments to restore lost function are down the road. They're not, and the few that are actually concrete, are aimed to stop the cascade of cell death during the acute stage of SCI".

Comment

Originally posted by damagedgoods
          this is from sunday's Boston herald-

" To assume that someone who is paralyzed today to get back any major vital functions back, which have been gone for several years, is not only foolish, but reckless, and cruelly false. A chronically injured spinal cord is like a strawberry that has been stepped on, and in order to fix it, it must be repaired to it's original state. Dr. Rubinstein continued, " we must continue to care for these afflicted individuals with what we have now, while not much I admit, but it benefits the patient more than implying that treatments to restore lost function are down the road. They're not, and the few that are actually concrete, are aimed to stop the cascade of cell death during the acute stage of SCI".
          Hi damagedgoods,

This opinion is nothing alarming. Dr Rubinstein appears a little backward in coming forward too as it is no longer an 'assumption' but a realisation! There are naysayers in every walk of life, that only serves to spur the researchers on farther. A situation of such sprung to mind in light of a tumour my grandad had removed and I included it below

''Seeing the way toward tumor removal

Curing brain tumors was a radical notion when Hopkins surgeon Walter Dandy first proposed the idea in 1921. But Dandy silenced his many naysayers in 1925 when he successfully removed an entire two- to three-inch tumor from the posterior fossa. Dandy's success was due in part to his innovation called ventriculography, which involved X-rays and injecting a gas into the brain's cerebral ventricles for visualizing the tumor.''

The lab/researcher that comes to the aid of chronic SCI will too join the likes of Dandy......and there are many like him.

Seriously as the saying goes in the UK 'The future's bright, the future's orange'

Somebody, somewhere, sometime soon, will provide the cream for all of our strawberry's!
          Last edited by Cherry; 16 Jan 2006, 4:05 PM.

Comment

Last edited by cmjhzs; 14 Nov 2006, 4:20 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I was replying in the wrong area, but couldn't delete it,

~sorry. I had to type this note.

Comment

While going through some other threads, I came across this one that spanned 4 years from 2002 to 2006 about cloning of embryonic stem cells. It makes for very interesting reading. Of course, in 2014, the discussion seems to be a tempest in a teapot. And, of course, the discovery of induced pluripotent stem cells made the technique of somatic nuclear transfer obsolete and unnecessary. The evidence that transplanted cells improve function in spinal cord injury is not yet universally accepted but we are much closer today than 10 years ago. Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                  ... Of course, in 2014, the discussion seems to be a tempest in a teapot. ...
                  True, but I feel like that tempest in that teapot set stem research back for years. In the intrervening years, a good friend of mine who was also a quad SCI and visitor of this forum died from complications from decubitus ulcers and pneumonia. I will not forget this when I vote in the future.

Comment

From this discussion, Angel7 also died. Jim and I were on opposite sides of this before the switch from SCIwire to Spinewire/CC. I wish we had those archives too.
                    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                    X