No announcement yet.

Tooth pulp stem cells regenerate spinal cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand what you are saying Wise, it is all just so frusterating. I wish I were strong enough to organize things from the political level. Years ago I really felt that a major revolution might be the answer. I guess I had those thoughts from a class I took in High School called "Revolution and Reaction" I even remember the name of the teacher, dr. Bressler. By revolution I mean like big groups of Spinal Cord Injured people protesting right in front of the White house and being caught on camera being dragged away by MP's, I'll bet the news groups definately would have been there then to catch that and it would have infurated the public. I really almost feel though now it is too late for that. I am just kinda shocked that the general public was not more demanding of the government towards NIH involvement in regenerative medicine research. They will more than likely all be affected in one form or another if they live long enough. The ability to regrow ones own organs for transplants, regrow central nerve cells, etc would be so huge and such a big industry and job provider for the USA. Why was not there ever any political initiative to do this? I know Kerry had talked about it some. I remember talking to him some about it when I bumped into him in the walkway under I think it was the Russell bldg. back in around 2003. We really definatly need some kind of leader, especially after the passing of Chris Reeve.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I would just like to say that every paper that makes specific findings is an extremely important puzzle piece not just for spinal cord injury but for regenerative Medicine itself . " The fact that they don’t express HLA-DR is of interest because this is one of the important tissue compatibility antigens that lead to immune rejection if not matched. Finally, these DPDS cells express nestin (a neural stem cell marker) and other markers of differentiated neural cells including GFAP (for differentiated astrocytes), beta-III tubulin and NeuN (for differentiated neurons), A2B5 (a glial-restricted precursor marker), and MBP (or myelin basic protein which is associated with myelin). So, these cells from teeth express markers of neural stem cells.
      " Could lead to a large pool of mass produce stem cells That could be universally transplanted Which would be much cheaper And safer.

There are a lot of Legitimate treatments that can go to human trials . The cost is enormous and each individual trial could lead to more research and more trials With a small amount of hope for an immediate financial payoff . I would like to wake up one day and here that the president Is going to cut one trillion dollars over the next 10 years from the military budget and funnel that money for education , medical research And human trials for regenerative medicine. But before I was injured My next door neighbor's son suffered a spinal cord injury And was able to walk with crutches. I never really knew the nature of his injury. I am ashamed of myself for walking through life with blinders on never noticing the pain and suffering that exists in the world but for few dollars could be wiped out.
      Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

Comment

n my opinion, the authors have taken one of the most severe spinal cord injury models and showed that transplantation of two types of cells result in evidence of regeneration and recovery of hindlimb movements. The histological and behavioral evidence support each other. The type of cells that produce less histological improvement stimulated less recovery. The authors showed that the SHED cells seem to support axonal growth in culture better and this is interesting as well. To me, this paper deserves publication. It is all right if some people decide that they are not convinced but the paper needs to see the light of day instead of being buried. This debate is good. To tell you the truth, I don’t think that the data for chondroitinase efficacy for spinal cord injury is that much better.

To Wise from Jerry.

Frankly, I am not surprised that you yet again reveal your complete lack of ability to critically evaluate the merits of the published literature. I neither have the time nor the desire to critique the list of minimally interesting (and indeed mostly garbage) papers that you spent much too much time gathering. I have far more important things to do. One thing that I will NEVER do (and should be deemed at a minimum to be unethical if not criminal) is to spread false hope to the SCI community in order to raise money. Would you agree?

Comment

Who is speading false hope to raise money? I know one issue, that is unethical if not criminal, is competing for recognition, money and accolades instead of cooperating to find an answer for this eternal living hell called sci.
          Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

Comment

From what I have critically evaluated. the answer lies in a pten inhibitor that can be delivered and localized. NOTHING ELSE ALLOWS ROBUST Corticospinal Neuronal growth.

Comment

[QUOTE=
              To Wise from Jerry.

Frankly, I am not surprised that you yet again reveal your complete lack of ability to critically evaluate the merits of the published literature. I neither have the time nor the desire to critique the list of minimally interesting (and indeed mostly garbage) papers that you spent much too much time gathering. I have far more important things to do. One thing that I will NEVER do (and should be deemed at a minimum to be unethical if not criminal) is to spread false hope to the SCI community in order to raise money. Would you agree?[/QUOTE]

This seems kind of harsh to me.

Comment

Me too.

Not to mention condescending.

Comment

I don't know if it's necessarily warranted but I would encourage "friendly" challenging of opposing ideas from these two minds... Say what you Honestly think
                  "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                  Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "
                    You forgot............"Peter: why is there 2 toilets? Joe: ones for poop, one's for blood."

Comment

Originally posted by jhope View Post
                      You forgot............"Peter: why is there 2 toilets? Joe: ones for poop, one's for blood."
                      Lol

I was also going to add the quote: "first I'm going to beat you, then my son chris is going to beat you... It's going to be a good old fashion, Father and son beat off!! " (totally oblivious)

I always thought that was funny
                      "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                      Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

false hope?

Well it seems a bit condescending at first, however, we must all remember that trying to cure chronic spinal cord injury is complex at best and likely a lifesaver in the least.

I know personally several quads who have died while waiting for a cure. Mostly bedridden, some on tracheotomy's, etc. I don't think they were dancing in the garden of intellectual delight while they were suffering with SCI.

I'm all for manners. However, when it comes to a fight for my independence in my life, I will simply choke anybody gets in my way.

My apologies to all those offended. Just don't don't get in my way.

Oh, let me share my feelings on being fooled by the positive statements. False hope never killed anybody I know. However, being negative toward progress is an idiot's delight.

Future Walker
                        Futurewalker

Comment

jsilver, may I ask you to reveal the "far more important things" you are currently engaged in? Hope it's something associated with:
                          Originally posted by jsilver View Post
                          Dear Christopher,
                          Don't despair. There are several strategies already available that can target chronic SCI even up to one full year after injury.
                          And, sorry, but "false hope" is not welcomed word combination here. "Effective cooperation" sounds much more encouraging, indeed.

Comment

Kivi, omce again we see possible therapies for chronics at one year post. Paolo, rose to the occasion at the last conference when he said no more talking about acutes; we're all chronics. the same can be made for chronics at one year. Yes, there are some of us that meet that one year test; but for most of us it is years more.

Tony

Comment

Yeah, well the first scientist to the finish line wins!
                              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by kivi66 View Post
                                jsilver, may I ask you to reveal the "far more important things" you are currently engaged in? Hope it's something associated with:
                                And, sorry, but "false hope" is not welcomed word combination here. "Effective cooperation" sounds much more encouraging, indeed.
                                which strategies were available?

Comment

Working...
                                X