Live from Working 2 Walk 2011!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Kivi66,

Well, of course, this is a question that can only be answered with a speculative answer. From what I learned at W2W during our visit to the Kennedy Kreiger Rehab Center, it is clear that many if not all SCI people (I don't like to call people with SCI patients) improve with rehab no matter when they begin. If, indeed, slow synaptic plasticity is at least part of the recovery mechanism then, in my opinion given the overwhelming scientific evidence, chondroitinase administered to select regions of the cord could significantly help either speed up or increase the amount of recovery. If Acorda will please place SCI higher on their priority list and let us all work together to figure out an appropriate delivery system for the enzyme, which should be relatively easy to solve, then we are very close. I showed at W2W how well the enzyme alone, even without respiratory therapy, can foster recovery in the once paralyzed respiratory system at very chronic stages. Bridge building across the lesion to promote frank regeneration is also possible in humans (this has already been done in Taiwan using segments of PNS autografts) although to maximize this approach will surely take longer to figure out all the hurdles that need to be overcome at very lengthy chronic stages. Treatments that are also discussed at great length here at CARE CURE such as various stem cells or glial restricted precursor cells, could bear fruit when used at acute stages after SCI and especially when used in combination with other therapies that make sense. Importantly, there is zero published data showing that umbilical cord blood stem cells plus lithium has been effective to foster recovery in an appropriate animal model of SCI at long chronic stages. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Comment

[IMG]/forum/images/statusicon/post_old.gif[/IMG] 11-19-2004, 10:34 AM #16 PapaJoe

[IMG]/forum/customavatars/avatar4676_0.gif[/IMG]

Suzanne, I truly hope Dr.Huang is considering using Chondroitinaise ABC in his combination, I would think it would have to be considered in Chronic injuries to dissolve the Glial(scar)in order for ANY of the other ingrediants to be most effective. Please try to persuade him...I know you can!
      Thank you,
      PapaJoe
      [IMG]/forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif[/IMG] [IMG]/forum/images/buttons/report.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by jsilver View Post
        If Acorda will please place SCI higher on their priority list and let us all work together to figure out an appropriate delivery system for the enzyme, which should be relatively easy to solve, then we are very close. I showed at W2W how well the enzyme alone, even without respiratory therapy, can foster recovery in the once paralyzed respiratory system at very chronic stages. Bridge building across the lesion to promote frank regeneration is also possible in humans (this has already been done in Taiwan using segments of PNS autografts) although to maximize this approach will surely take longer to figure out all the hurdles that need to be overcome at very lengthy chronic stages.
        Emphasis mine.

The community should, imo, pay attention to this.

Comment

Originally posted by kate View Post
          Emphasis mine.

The community should, imo, pay attention to this.

What should we, as a community do?
          My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Excellent question as I'm wondering too.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

How much could chondroitinaise have an effect on? Could it help walking given that we know it is much more complex than breathing?

Comment

Chondroitinase could have a remarkable effect in combination with rehab and is soooo safe. I suggest unite and encourage the SCI community to barrage Acorda with a continuous stream of letters. I do know that James Fawcett with help from the International Spinal Research Trust (England) are working towards clinical trials. I myself will be pushing for trials as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jsilver View Post
                  Chondroitinase could have a remarkable effect in combination with rehab and is soooo safe. I suggest unite and encourage the SCI community to barrage Acorda with a continuous stream of letters. I do know that James Fawcett with help from the International Spinal Research Trust (England) are working towards clinical trials. I myself will be pushing for trials as well.

James Fawcett said in an email to me clinical trials in 2 to 3 years but as you say if Acorda is holding things up in any way we should get our expert 'advocates' to organize standard letters requesting the quick release of this drug. I don't think anything antagonistic is appropriate as Acorda is potentially our ally and a valuable one.
                  Last edited by Christopher Paddon; 21 Oct 2011, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Seems it's the FDA that holds things up ultimately. Same here in Canada except it's doubly worse!
                    Last edited by lynnifer; 22 Oct 2011, 11:02 AM.
                    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Chondroitinase has been researched by literally dozens and dozens of labs. Hundreds of papers have been published on it. If the researchers tell us it's time to move on, then why not? They need to decide on the correct delivery system to use, and then it should be moved forward.

Biotech companies are in the business to make money for the company and stockholders. We probably need to show them several reasons to bring the enzyme out of R&D. (Chondroitinase is the only thing in the Acorda pipeline for chronics at this time). The researchers have all researched it to death and then some.
                      http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

I believe there's one paper that shows axon resprouting of 40% with chondroitinaise and lithium.

I thought there was no cure for sci but what we seem to be saying is there is possibly one but the drug companies can't be bothered moving forward with it. I feel angry if I am sitting for a few extra years unnecessarily.

Could ChinaSCINet push to test chondroitinaise with, say lithium, in its next round of trials and put pressure on Acorda to provide the enzyme?

I am still hopeful that cord blood and lithium will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
                          Could ChinaSCINet push to test chondroitinaise with, say lithium, in its next round of trials and put pressure on Acorda to provide the enzyme?

I am still hopeful that cord blood and lithium will work.
                          I personally would doubt that any biotech would want their chondroitinaise enzyme mixed into this soup with it just coming straight out of the research and development box. Just MHO...

Comment

How come Acorda owns this product? If it's been tested so many times by so many people the surely it belongs to everybody

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
                              How come Acorda owns this product? If it's been tested so many times by so many people the surely it belongs to everybody
                              Acorda holds all the most pertinent patents on it. It belongs to Acorda, not everybody.

Comment

Surely Acorda can make money from it as possibly one of the first sci therapies - I can't see that it can possibly be holding back for any good reason other than technical ones - although, J Silver must know something as he is advising us to apply pressure

Comment

Working...
                                X