Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defining a cure! what are your expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I read Wise's on a cure would be no one would ever know I was injured. Almost a year ago I hung my everything on that thinking by now I surely would fit into that catagore, now today I do not. Now I pray I need more tome, but the reality is I am scared this is my time, it is what is is and I don't want to give up, but I might have to be realistic.

I know I should feel grateful that I can walk even with a cane, but it is so painful I can't hardly stand it. I see a pain Dr. on Monday maybe I can get some answers because my neuro says the same thing nerve damage may take a long tome to heal. What if they never do...I will get worse is my biggest fear.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Comment

I'm with OX!
      Let's all do our own little part to get this cure here.
      Dennis Tesolat
      www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
      Martin Luther King

Comment

Ugh. Pointless thread.

Comment

im c4-5 and i dont have any movement from the neck and down..so if i have my arms back its a dream

Comment

Originally posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
            Ugh. Pointless thread.
            Why Pointless?

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
              Why Pointless?
              Because this conversation comes up time and time again and does nothing but end on a downer. We commonly say "No two injuries are the same" yet we try to classify the definition of Cure. That is why I think it is pointless.

I like to use the term "Different shades of shit" to describe SCI - whether complete, incomplete, cervical, thoracic, lumbar, mild, traumatic, acute, chronic!

We need more lines of research. We need more science translated from bench to bedside. We need more clinical trials. We need lots of 'Cures'. Keep the bar high. Simple.

Comment

FPF,

I agree. These same predictions, recovery expectations, and close proximity to a cure were posted back in 2002 by many forum members based on the work of Giles Plant in Australia, John McDonald, Carlos Lima, and others.

Comment

When you reach 30+ years post you're more concerned with keeping what you've got than making any gains.

Comment

Hey don't say that I'm less than 4yrs away! lol I've decided 30yrs is the magic number to me where I'll be getting a powerchair - problems with shoulders or not.
                    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

A spinal cure is akin to patching a cut fiber optic cable. I want to have normal voluntary signal to all of my muscles, and feeling restored. That's not to say that my body will function normally for ten years thereafter...but God damnit, I want my spinal cord fixed! You get money from the government to fund your research? It's Manhattan project time baby...24/7 until this stupid injury is fixed. No vacations to Aruba. No Savaticals to explore a new prototype lab mouse. FIX THE DAMN SPINE!

Comment

Originally posted by JakeHalsted View Post
                        A spinal cure is akin to patching a cut fiber optic cable. I want to have normal voluntary signal to all of my muscles, and feeling restored. That's not to say that my body will function normally for ten years thereafter...but God damnit, I want my spinal cord fixed! You get money from the government to fund your research? It's Manhattan project time baby...24/7 until this stupid injury is fixed. No vacations to Aruba. No Savaticals to explore a new prototype lab mouse. FIX THE DAMN SPINE!
                        Unless you're joking, are you suggesting that scientists are being lazy and not taking a cure too seriously? I don't necessarily disagree with you by the way - if people knew how bad it was it may be taken more seriously

Comment

cure vs. SCI

Currently ca 40-50% have some kind of inkomplete paralysis. If ,in the next 10 years, 60 or 70% are inkomplete, i would say this is a cure. I don't expect more and never have done it.

Comment

Frankly, I think that whole community is a bit lethargic when it comes to recovery and searching for a cure, myself included. 3 examples...how many "race for the cure" 5ks do you see out there for spinal injury, with people in chairs pushing side-by-side with runners. And not fancy pimped out "I'm normal and I love this sport" racing wheelchairs...old, beat up, I want to get-t-f-out wheelchairs. How many PTs do you see out there telling their patients "anything is possible fight like hell?" And lastly, how many neuroscience researchers are there out there...with spinal injuries? If I were an under grad and I had this injury, I can damn well tell you I would have been studying brain sciences.

Note I include everybody involved in the "community" from our scientists, to our care takers, to ourselves. And I think that we OWE it to each other to do everything within our means to make FIXING this condition a number one priority. As Dr. Young says, we need both "care" as well as "cure."

Originally posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
                            Unless you're joking, are you suggesting that scientists are being lazy and not taking a cure too seriously? I don't necessarily disagree with you by the way - if people knew how bad it was it may be taken more seriously

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru View Post
                              When you reach 30+ years post you're more concerned with keeping what you've got than making any gains.
                              Thank you, you are an inspiration for everyone.
                              Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

Originally posted by JakeHalsted View Post
                                Frankly, I think that whole community is a bit lethargic when it comes to recovery and searching for a cure, myself included. 3 examples...how many "race for the cure" 5ks do you see out there for spinal injury, with people in chairs pushing side-by-side with runners. And not fancy pimped out "I'm normal and I love this sport" racing wheelchairs...old, beat up, I want to get-t-f-out wheelchairs. How many PTs do you see out there telling their patients "anything is possible fight like hell?" And lastly, how many neuroscience researchers are there out there...with spinal injuries? If I were an under grad and I had this injury, I can damn well tell you I would have been studying brain sciences.

Note I include everybody involved in the "community" from our scientists, to our care takers, to ourselves. And I think that we OWE it to each other to do everything within our means to make FIXING this condition a number one priority. As Dr. Young says, we need both "care" as well as "cure."
                                Totally agree

How can such a terrible condition be taken so lightly by the medical community and society as a whole?

And yeah, let's not pretend that wheelchair races are fun.....I just pushed along a path running along a local beach on a trully glorious day - everyone was out there running, swimming, wind surfing, volleyball, touch rugby, walking holding hands etc. While it was very nice it was tinged with a certain knowledge that what I was doing was the least fun - now everyone post how wrong I am - it's all attitude. But I do remember how it used to be

Comment

Working...
                                X