Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mice Stem Cells Guided Into Myelinating Cells by the Trillions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mice Stem Cells Guided Into Myelinating Cells by the Trillions

    ScienceDaily (Sep. 26, 2011) — Scientists at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine found a way to rapidly produce pure populations of cells that grow into the protective myelin coating on nerves in mice. Their process opens a door to research and potential treatments for multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy and other demyelinating diseases afflicting millions of people worldwide.

    The findings were published in the online issue of Nature Methods on Sept. 25.

    "The mouse cells that we utilized, which are pluripotent epiblast stem cells, can make any cell type in body," Paul Tesar, an assistant professor of genetics at Case Western Reserve and senior author of the study, explained. "So our goal was to devise precise methods to specifically turn them into pure populations of myelinating cells, called oligodendrocyte progenitor cells, or OPCs."

    Their success holds promise for basic research and beyond.

    "The ability of these methods to produce functional cells that restore myelin in diseased mice provides a solid framework for the ability to produce analogous human cells for use in the clinic," said Robert H. Miller, vice dean for research at the school of medicine and an author of the paper.

    Tesar and colleagues are now able to direct mouse stem cells into oligodendrocyte progenitor cells in just 10 days. The team's success relied upon guiding the cells through specific stages that match those that occur during normal embryonic development.

  • #2
    cool. so whats the next step. im tired of hearing all this news about these lucky rats. time for some lucky humans.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Barrington314mx View Post
      cool. so whats the next step. im tired of hearing all this news about these lucky rats. time for some lucky humans.
      I hope you're doing all you can to help
      Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

      Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

      http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Barrington314mx View Post
        cool. so whats the next step. im tired of hearing all this news about these lucky rats. time for some lucky humans.
        I agree. It's time for some lucky humans to have these cells transplanted into their injury. Then they can sacrifice their bodies to science, have their spinal cords removed for analysis and we can determine just how well these oligodendrocyte progenitor cells remyelinate damaged axons in humans
        Last edited by captainwelch; 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          i agree when isint are turn to get lucky

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by captainwelch View Post
            I agree. It's time for some lucky humans to have these cells transplanted into their injury. Then they can sacrifice their bodies to science, have their spinal cords removed for analysis and we can determine just how well these oligodendrocyte progenitor cells remyelinate damaged axons in humans
            yea, its a great thing that these mice want to sacrifice for us. id send a thank you note, but dont know how to speak rat.

            is that pot your smoking there? hows that help your spasms?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Barrington314mx View Post
              yea, its a great thing that these mice want to sacrifice for us. id send a thank you note, but dont know how to speak rat.

              is that pot your smoking there? hows that help your spasms?

              You can get some from Jackson Laboratories to thank. http://jaxmice.jax.org/

              ...what spasms?

              Comment

              Working...
              X