Miami Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miami Project

If you read the Miami Project website it seems they are close to going to clinical trials with the schwann cell therapy.

Does anyone know much about this?

Anyone hopeful or sceptical?

Someone recently posted about Schwann Cells being used in a clinical trial in another country.

Comment

in New zealand

Comment

They have been doing clinical trials for 25 years now. Oh wait, no, i'm wrong.
        Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

I happen to be one of the rare people that actually like and Support the Miami project... I think their lack of speediness comes from methodically dotting all the "i"s and crossing all the "t"s, but they have solid plans
          Last edited by lunasicc42; 28 Aug 2011, 3:50 PM. Reason: typo
          "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
            If you read the Miami Project website it seems they are close to going to clinical trials with the schwann cell therapy.

Does anyone know much about this?

Anyone hopeful or sceptical?
            Pretty certain that trial will occur. I am a skeptic on Schwann cells simply based on the fact that most researchers abandoned them a good while ago.

Barth has certainly had large funding for many years that others envy yet he has done little "VISIBLE" to the community. Hopefully there is a large body of research ready to roll once he dots the Eyes and crosses the Tees

Comment

dalton dietrich from the Miami project will be at this years working2walk... I am looking forward to this. They weren't there last year

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

For what it's worth.

Researchers and clinicians are getting to a point, Anderson-Erisman said, where different biotechnologies are beginning to be tested in patients, a necessary step to understanding what sorts of interventions work and are practical. It is an exciting time, she said, noting that next week, the Miami Project plans to apply to federal regulators to begin clinical trials of a cell-based therapy for spinal cord injury.
                http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...n_site/?page=2

Comment

http://www.themiamiproject.org/page.aspx?pid=845

Interesting read

Comment

The Miami Project applied for FDA approval to start phase 1 clinical trials with schwann cell implants yesterday.

Once the implants have been proved safe they will move on to chronic injuries and combination treatments.

Comment

Personally I think he work Wise is doing in ChinaSCINet will reach the clinic quicker but how do I know? I have faith in Wise.........

Comment

This is good news that the application is in.
                        "Life is about how you
                        respond to not only the
                        challenges you're dealt but
                        the challenges you seek...If
                        you have no goals, no
                        mountains to climb, your
                        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

The Miami Project is happy to tell you that we have submitted our application to the FDA to request permission to start a phase 1 clinical trial to test the safety of injecting Schwann cells into people with SCI. We now have to wait for a response from the FDA.

This first trial is purely testing safety, because we have to do surgery on people and actually stick a needle into their spinal cord injury site in order to put their Schwann cells inside. It will only involve about 8 people and they will all be new injuries. The main reason we are doing new injuries first is because we have more animal data in that setting and it allows us to get FDA approval faster. Getting faster FDA approval means going into people faster, which means finding out about safety faster. As soon as we know it is safe to inject, we can then start additional trials expanding into chronic injuries, incomplete injuries, and even combination therapies (which will likely be much more effective at restoring function to people than just Schwann cells by themselves – or anything by itself for that matter).

So think of this as our building block to developing the most effective treatments for people living with SCI. The best way to get access to these treatments fastest is to keep yourself healthy and in very good condition so that you qualify for clinical trials as they become available and for which you qualify. For treatments to go all the way through multiple clinical trials and become mainstream medical practice in the “clinic” could take 10-15 years or more depending on the intervention. But participating in clinical trials not only helps us get there faster, but also benefits the clinical trial participants faster than the rest of the public.

Comment

Finally good news from MP, but I think their timeframes are a little out of reality,
                            For treatments to go all the way through multiple clinical trials and become mainstream medical practice in the “clinic” could take 10-15 years or more depending on the intervention.
                            -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Comment

Actually I thought those were quite accurate timelines - do you think they're too much or too less?
                              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                              X