Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Plans to Attend Working 2 Walk 2011 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsilver View Post
    I'm looking forward to meeting you and all the others as well as discussing our latest results. Don't worry, I'll keep it simple so everybody can understand, even me. Jerry
    I especially like simple!! I'm starting to understand more of the complicated terms about spinal cord injury and the therapies that are being worked on, but it helps when things are presented in layman terms and concepts so we can follow along easier. We can catch on so much faster that way too. (The nerve grafting piece is pretty new to me).

PS. Don't bring any rats for demonstration purposes. I'm a bit squimish that way... (kidding)
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 28 Sep 2011, 4:20 PM.
    http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

I was just thinking about those rats. Do they have little chariots? How do they pee? After how long is a sci'd rat considered "chronic"?

Comment

Originally posted by kate View Post
        I got my ticket & I'm warming up my blogging fingers! Can't wait to see everybody.
        See you there Kate !!!!
        JimmyMack
        Member: New Jersey Commission on Spinal Cord Reasearch
        http://www.state.nj.us/health/spinalcord/index.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Scaper1 View Post
          I was just thinking about those rats. Do they have little chariots? How do they pee? After how long is a sci'd rat considered "chronic"?
          No chariots . . . and I know that in every lab where paralyzed rats are studied, some dedicated graduate student has to squeeze their bladders for them on a very detailed schedule. It sounds funny, but keeping these animals alive and healthy is kind of a big deal. They have all the same sci issues as humans, including neuropathic pain, tone, B&B stuff. Poor buggers.

Comment

No chariots . . . and I know that in every lab where paralyzed rats are studied, some dedicated graduate student has to squeeze their bladders for them on a very detailed schedule. It sounds funny, but keeping these animals alive and healthy is kind of a big deal. They have all the same sci issues as humans, including neuropathic pain, tone, B&B stuff. Poor buggers.
            id hate to be the intern that gets stuck digi stiming.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyMack View Post
              See you there Kate !!!!
              I'll buy you a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaper1 View Post
                Barb, if I'm not mistaken, I believe I've read that 3 months chronic rat is about equal to 12 months on a human sci. Hopefully someone will jump in and correct me if I'm way off base. I do know that the animals in the lab require a great deal of care. I cringe when I hear about larger animals being required for certain studies. They can be very dangerous to work with on top of being very physically challenging. (monkeys, pigs)

Comment

Originally posted by Barrington314mx View Post
                  id hate to be the intern that gets stuck digi stiming.
                  I'd hate to be the rat.

#perspective.
                  An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by jsilver View Post
                    Hi Granny,

Paul and I are, in fact, beginning a collaboration. We're having a meeting next week to finalize our experiments related to cord injury. I know a good thing when I see it. We already have available cord injured rats at chronic stages after injury and we have all the tools needed to analyze the data. I have a wonderful graduate student in the lab to perform the experiments. And don't worry, I'll pay for the room and board and everything else. I would never take your money nor would I ever solicit money from the SCI community. That's what grants are for.

Jerry
                    jsilver, I may be mistaken, but don't you think that "Biologists Discover Genes That Repair Nerves After Injury" (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0921144604.htm) "thing"
                    is also worth your collaboration?

Comment

Hi Kivi66,

The discovery of a host of genes that are involved with nerve growth or the lack thereof that you refer to is extremely early stage and was done in C. elegans (a round worm). These creatures can regenerate severed axons under certain circumstances and they don't form scars after injury. Over the last few decades we have already made great strides in our identification and understanding of the many genes and proteins that are involved with growth/no growth in the mammalian CNS so many of the major players are already known. The most potent intrinsic growth promoting set of genes are clearly those involved with the PTEN/mTOR pathway as well as the family of growth associated proteins (GAP43/CAP23) and the most potent extrinsic growth promoting genes/proteins are the various neurotrophins/tropins. The most inhibitory genes/proteins are involved with the regulation of and signalling by proteoglycans. The myelin story remains highly controversial and I think is fading fast. So I think we have enough on our plate for awhile. Perhaps the C. elegans data will bear some fruit in the distant future but it is my view that we need to get to clinic as fast and as soon as we can with what we already have.

Comment

@kivi66 Would you be able to come to W2W this year?

Comment

I'll buy you a beer.
                          Done...
                          JimmyMack
                          Member: New Jersey Commission on Spinal Cord Reasearch
                          http://www.state.nj.us/health/spinalcord/index.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
                            @kivi66 Would you be able to come to W2W this year?
                            GRAMMY, thanks, I am flattered by attention of such a charming lady , but I won't be there, sorry. Besides all other things, I fear to be drawn into competition with Leif
                            Originally posted by Leif View Post
                            You look great GRAMMY, you’re avatar photo looks like from a high school photo, and please, don’t come a long telling you are married too!

Comment

@kivi66 Flattery will get you everywhere....

Your long memory disturbs me though! (I'd so hoped that others hadn't noticed the Leif post, but you re-posted it) Ahhhh geez.

Hopefully we'll see you at a future W2W event.
                              Last edited by GRAMMY; 30 Sep 2011, 11:37 AM.

Comment

"Transplanted olfactory mucosal cells restore paw reaching function without regeneration of severed corticospinal tract fibres across the lesion" (http://www.biomedexperts.com/Abstrac...spinal_tract_f)

jsilver, this story for me is if not a sheer nonsense, then an utter confusion, may I ask you to clear it up?

Comment

Working...
                                X