Send a question to the new CEO of Rick Hansen Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
    May I ask what exact regeneration research it is that you would like them to invest in?
    Ah come on Lynnifer. There are 100s of labs/scientists working on regeneration of CNS and nanotechnologies to support regeneration. Just have a look at the number of papers that have been published in the last 12 months. Do you want Dennis to do all the work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
      Ah come on Lynnifer. There are 100s of labs/scientists working on regeneration of CNS and nanotechnologies to support regeneration. Just have a look at the number of papers that have been published in the last 12 months. Do you want Dennis to do all the work for you?
      I actually started writing until I realized that I was being taken for a little ride.
      Dennis Tesolat
      www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
      Martin Luther King

Comment

Patrick, Lynnifer and others,

please have a look at this recent interview of Rick Hansen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyY5k...layer_embedded

After 40 seconds he saies " we are still focusing on the original dream of finding a cure "

Pay attention also at minute 2.25 when he saies "...when I was talking about a cure 25 years ago..."

So I am not dreaming, but you may have a very "selective memory"
        Last edited by paolocipolla; 7 Aug 2011, 10:46 AM.
        In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

If he is not lying, is obvious that he doesn´t know whats going on in his own organization.
          Focusing in cure SCI ...
          -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Comment

I'm sure Patrick and Lynnifer are not lying. But sure enough, the RHF talks about working towards a cure (world without paralysis) and it's a big thing when it comes to getting money.
            That money is not being used towards a cure, that's clear too now.

We have seen this in other organisations (yes, in Europe too, in case anyone thinks we have an obsession with Canada, which we don't have), so sadly this is not rare in big organisations. It's actually a good definition for "big org".
            Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

This thread may sound nasty at times but it's a good one, i've learned a lot.

as a old timer it's good to see people questioning the status quoe.

also as an old timer the questioning and the way it's been done has been done respectfully.

compared to the actions ADAPT used to get there point across, this would be considered childs play.

I hope the RHF and others wake up because there is a reason we can now donate directly to Keirstead, Davies and Young.

Also as an old timer when I first came to cc in 2000-2001 and learned what was going on i felt decieved by my peers, they did a fantastic job at keeping cure research material from many of us. I was shocked to learn the SCS was around since late 70's. I wish i would have heard of them back then.

rock on
              http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                Pao, Believe me, I am not afraid of you.
                Ok good,
                would you then take 5 minutes of your time to talk to me?

Comment

Pao, Believe me, I am not afraid of you. And please don't tell me what his original dream was because I was less than 6 feet away from him when he made the decision to roll around the world. We were all in mourning for Terry, drinking a few Canadian Blue, when Tim Frick and Rick came up with the idea of going around the world. At first we spoke about just finishing the run from where Terry had to finally admit that he had to go in for tests due to his chest hurting. It turned out to be cancer again. Then the talk got to be about hell, why not go around the world, and it blossomed from there. Stan Stronge and Marshall Smith helped get the organization details in order and introduce those with money connections to the idea as Rick trained, did marathons, the first disabled race in the a/b Olympics and finish school. It was not about cure, that came about as a handle when the organizing committee came about to help with the details of the run. It was always about accessibility, inclusion, keeping a Positive Mental Attitude and physical fitness. Cure was barley mentioned because even the few researchers who were interested in its possibilites had no idea of where to start or if it was even feasible. It was unheard of really, the science was just not there yet. I think Cure came into the picture because of Terrys' dedication for a cure for Cancer.
                  Having seen the recent interview of Rick I have posted I am not sure that as you say "cure was barely mentioned", but what you say makes sense to me and I think it can be true.
                  Still I would like to hear form Rick how things went, but thanks for posting that.

Comment

I have concerns that you are not going to get too far with any foundation because of your continual posturing and challenging others with the bombardment that we are afraid of you or you are the only one with the knowledge to get others to do what you think their goals should be.
                    You can't kick ass and have both feet on the ground at the same time.

I think you just focus on the marginal content of my posts.
                    I invite you to try to focus on what my intentions are to have a better interpretation of what I write.

Comment

If I were a board of directors for any foundation and you came up to me with your attitude, I would dismiss you as one who is not able to make things happen due to your narrow mindedness and confortational attitude. The only way any person, foundation or country is going to change is if it's in their best interest. They want to know the benefits of the effort not because of confortation.
                      A wise member of a board of directors of any company/foundation should be interested in any good idea/criticism regardless of the attitude of the person they come from.

Spoild child usually are the ones who give more importance to attitude then to contents.

Isn't better to be pragmatic and practical here?

Last thing, I have approached people of RHF in a polite way first several times and I have been ignored. Just then I decided to shift to my present attitude and it seems I am getting more attention....
                      So... blame them not me.
                      Last edited by paolocipolla; 7 Aug 2011, 9:59 PM.

Comment

I have no qaulms taking any organization to task about their written goals and agendas. If you do take them on, it would be prudent to have concrete evidence rather than off the wall remarks and confortational innuendoes. The response is more apt to be returned when they know you are educated and up to speed on the subject with facts.
                        I have more then enough concrete evidence.. you are not paying enogh attention at what I have posted as, maybe, your emotional link the the whole story has activated in you a very difensive attitude.
                        If that is the case, I think it is ok. I don't blame you for that reaction. I am very protective with my friends too.

Comment

I'm not afraid of you in anyway Pao; I'm sorry if you feel that I am. Trustfully, I am there for support and encouraging you or anyone to go for it and make it happen in a positive way.

As always, God Bless and may your dreams come to fruitation. I'm done with commenting to this thread.
                          Don't worry, I asked if you were afraid of me just to be a bit provocative. I know you are not afraid of me.

And even if we desagree I have appreciated your post, that is why I have asked if you have 5 minutes of your time to talk.

Comment

I'm sure it's all wrapped into one. The original idea was to finish Terry's run. Things morph and change as needed for pr.

This is one of the reasons most of us who knew him and started with Terrys run, actually don't say too much; reporters and newsmedia always wanted to make Terry's run and Ricks into something it wasn't because it made better press. They can say what they want.

Rick Stopped by Terry's gravesite in Port Moody which was pretty moving. Steve Fonyo, who was credited to have run across Canada, didn't stop by. We knew it was because he actually didn't run all the way. But that's another story.

Like I said, What he initially ran for and what was propagated is two stories. It's all good. He at least brings attention to the challenge.

Comment

I'm sure it's all wrapped into one. The original idea was to finish Terry's run. Things morph and change as needed for pr.

This is one of the reasons most of us who knew him and started with Terrys run, actually don't say too much; reporters and newsmedia always wanted to make Terry's run and Ricks into something it wasn't because it made better press. They can say what they want.

Rick Stopped by Terry's gravesite in Port Moody which was pretty moving. Steve Fonyo, who was credited to have run across Canada, didn't stop by. We knew it was because he actually didn't run all the way. But that's another story.

Like I said, What he initially ran for and what was propagated is two stories. It's all good. He at least brings attention to the challenge.
                              Thanks for telling us all that, now I am more interested than ever in learning how things went and what is behind RHF.

Did you ever read this blog?

http://elizabethmcclung.blogspot.com...ansen-and.html

...Meanwhile, Rick Hansen, who incorporated himself (literally, he is kind of like a church), announced his ‘Man in Motion’ world tour with the emphasis on his inspiration from Terry Fox (who was conveniently not around to tell stories of Rick being an ass). And he did this on the back of Fonyo, once it became apparent that Fonyo would make it (about 2 months from his finish at the Pacific Ocean). Rick was competitive and liked being in the limelight........

He knew how to make a good press conference, and had camera presence and experience, and knew how to keep being in the limelight from his years as a world class athlete. Smart enough not to wheel across Canada while Steve Fonyo completed Terry Fox’s goal, Hansen and his ‘team’ (support but also media and photo op personell) took off.

Rick Hansen’s press conference had more people (click
                              here to see) than the crowd to see Steve Fonyo, who had run almost 10,000 km to dip his toe in the pacific at mile zero.....

How true is all that written in the blog?

Comment

Man, I don't even want to get into what Steve Did and didn't do. It all came around full circle for him; last I heard he is getting ready to do some prison time. He never did get it together. He deserved everything he got.

Rick and all of us did do some tricks on each other lol. Dang, we were just young bucks then.

What one perceives and what another sees may be two different things. I'm not one for getting into the minute details and say it was not that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X