No announcement yet.

Send a question to the new CEO of Rick Hansen Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe there are SCI Canadians working on that as we speak...
    http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Speaking of Steve Fonyo earlier ..

VANCOUVER — In spite of his pledge in January to stay "on the straight and narrow", cross-Canada cancer runner Steve Fonyo is back in court charged with attacking his wife.

Fonyo, 46, is accused of assaulting his wife, Lisa Greenwood, on Sept. 5. He was released on $500 bail on Sept. 7. Fonyo is also charged with breaching his conditional sentence order for a charge of uttering threats on Sept. 5.

He is scheduled to appear in court again on those charges in October.

Fonyo lost his leg to bone cancer as a child and ran across Canada to raise money for cancer research in 1984-85.

He has since struggled with drug and alcohol abuse and has had a string of run-ins with the law that began shortly after that run, including charges of assault, fraud, theft, possession of stolen property and multiple driving-related offences.

After spending 65 days in custody, Fonyo said that he was sorry in January and pledged to make a fresh start and stay out of trouble.

Judge Ellen Gordon imposed an 18-month sentence, plus 75 hours of community service and a five-year driving prohibition. She warned him that if he appeared before her again, he would finish his sentence in jail.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Fonyo+fre...#ixzz1Ye3nj1vD
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Dang, sorry to hear about Steve. It all comes around what goes around. Most in the know, know he didn't run/walk all the way. I think it ate at him and that's one of the reasons he never got his life together.

Comment

Article about Rich Hansen Foundation:

"As Rick Hansen starts his 25th Anniversary Tour, some people living with spinal cord injuries are asking questions about where the money is being spent "

http://njnnetwork.com/2011/09/whats-...on/#more-62003
          In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

VANCOUVER, B.C. (August 31, 2011) — The Rick Hansen Institute (RHI) has become the first centre outside of the United States to be invited to join the prestigious Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine, which facilitates the development and distribution of clinical best practice guidelines across the international spinal cord medicine practice community. The invitation is recognition and validation of Canada’s position among world leaders in the area of spinal cord injury (SCI) research, and of the significant progress RHI has achieved in translational research, best practices implementation and network building.

Governing Steering Committee Chair Dr. Lawrence C. Vogel requested RHI’s participation as a member of the 20+ member Consortium because of its expertise in developing scientific, evidence-based clinical practice guidelines - essential resources for aligning the international medical community and an important area of interest for the Consortium.
            This consortium sets the clinical guidelines for AD, pressure sores, upper extremity preservation-----ALL of the guides that KLD and the SCI nurses refer you to so that when you get injured or sick, your care is consistant.

Everyone is so busy knocking the RHI that you don't know what you are knocking.

Oh, and the Accessible Globe maps--that is Christopher from here's project, funded by RHI.
            Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Thanks Cheesecake

Comment

They fundraise based on cure, but they do not fund cure. I think we're pretty clear on what we're knocking.

Comment

I have to agree with Scraper1 .. I feel I was duped for many years because I certainly thought that they RHF had my back as far as cure research. I was way wrong. We're talking thousands here.
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Anybody know for sure with proof when they stopped funding or doing cure related research. My suspicion is that it might have been just the last few funding cycles where things have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by canuck View Post
                      Anybody know for sure with proof when they stopped funding or doing cure related research. My suspicion is that it might have been just the last few funding cycles where things have changed.
                      People from all over the world have written asking them 'what percentage of their funds are spent on CNS regeneration and what they have funded'.

It's pretty clear that they don't want to tell anyone. Why? Maybe they're just shy about all the cure stuff that they've been spending on and don't want to toot their own horn. Oh, that's it. They're shy!

As soon as I put a link up showing all the the projects RHI was funding they took that part of the site down.

If you haven't followed all the Q&A, you can see it at http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...oundation.html
                      Dennis Tesolat
                      www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
                      Martin Luther King

Comment

I think canuck is wanting to know the "when" of it all. According to a friend, the shift in priorities to care occurred about 10 years ago. Since then it seems the pendulum has swung away from cure altogether, but it's hard to get an exact timeline as they aren't exactly forthcoming with concrete figures and they tend to conflate care and cure in any responses they do give. There are other members here who are aware of specific clinical trials that they rejected for funding, hopefully they will chime in. It's my understanding that they do not now nor have ever funded stem cell research.

Comment

Originally posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
                          People from all over the world have written asking them 'what percentage of their funds are spent on CNS regeneration and what they have funded'.

As soon as I put a link up showing all the projects RHI was funding they took that part of the site down.

If you haven't followed all the Q&A, you can see it at http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...oundation.html

You can run or you can wheel...but you cannot hide.

If you're raising funds for curing spinal cord injury, you need to be able to tell people what exact research is being funded and how much it is costing. The answer to the question is not being provided and making internet information "disappear" because it "looks bad" isn't helpful either.

Reminds me of the missing minutes on the Nixon tapes...then look what happened.

RHI Clinical Guidelines and CDRF Accessible Globe Maps are nice projects but these are not research projects aimed at the cure of spinal cord injury or paralysis.
                          Last edited by GRAMMY; 27 Sep 2011, 2:08 AM.
                          http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

If you all think there is so much wrong doing going on at RHI why don't you contact Revenue Canada to investigate or even RCMP commercial crime unit if you think it's so fraudulent.

Comment

If you all think there is so much wrong doing going on at RHI why don't you contact Revenue Canada to investigate or even RCMP commercial crime unit if you think it's so fraudulent.
                              They have a lot of money saved up. A lot of money that could go to very good clinical trials.

They still have time to do the right thing, and we are willing to help them. That's why we are trying to contact them. They are simply not listening, yet.
                              Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

Somehow you've missed the point and I hate to say it, but it's because you haven't been listening.

I don't wish to get the Hansen folks in trouble or hurt their funding.
                                That's actually a simplistic goal that will not benefit anyone.
                                The goal is simple.
                                1. If they're raising money in the name of cure, I want to know; how much, on what, and how we can help and have our very experienced voices heard.
                                2. If they're not spending money on cure, they should stop advertising cure and let other orgs compete for this money.

I don't understand how this is about raising a stink with the authourities.
                                The goal is simple; money raised in the name of cure should go to cure. So I want to know what they're spending their cure dollars on.

It's not about being angry. It's not about poking our nose in Canada's business. It's not about persecuting someone who has done so much. It's about asking a responsible question in the hope of receiving a responsible answer.

Can you now give me an opinion on how to do this better?
                                Dennis Tesolat
                                www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
                                Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X