Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spinal Cord Injury Articles Posted by Manouli

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Update for its OPC1 Phase 1/2a Clinical Trial in Severe Spinal Cord Injury
    PRESS RELEASE GlobeNewswire Jan. 24, 2019, 07:00 AM

    FREMONT, Calif., Jan. 24, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. (NYSE American: AST), a biotechnology company dedicated to developing cell-based therapeutics to treat neurological conditions associated with demyelination and cellular immunotherapies to treat cancer, today provided top-line 12 month data from the Company’s Phase 1/2a SCiStar study designed to evaluate the safety and potential efficacy of OPC1 in the treatment of severe cervical spinal cord injury (SCI). All 25 subjects from the SCiStar study have now completed 12-months of follow-up as part of the study’s protocol. The Company also held a Type B meeting with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) late last year where FDA agreed with the Company’s plan to initiate a randomized, controlled Phase 2 study to further evaluate the safety and efficacy of OPC1.
    more...
    https://markets.businessinsider.com/...ury-1027892664

    Comment


      A real-life Superman: Christopher Reeve's daughter says his foundation has raised $138M for spinal injury research, helping develop a promising new technique that has seen the paralyzed walk again
      ⦁ Alexandra Reeve Givens says the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation has raised $138million for scientific research into paralysis
      ⦁ The Superman actor looked forward to seeing new developments such as the new technique that has helped paralyzed people stand and take steps again
      ⦁ Reeve's spinal cord was injured in a 1995 horse riding fall. He died in 2004
      ⦁ She remembered her dad helping others before and after his accident
      read...
      https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...yzed-walk.html

      Comment


        Originally posted by manouli View Post
        A real-life Superman: Christopher Reeve's daughter says his foundation has raised $138M for spinal injury research, helping develop a promising new technique that has seen the paralyzed walk again
        ⦁ Alexandra Reeve Givens says the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation has raised $138million for scientific research into paralysis
        ⦁ The Superman actor looked forward to seeing new developments such as the new technique that has helped paralyzed people stand and take steps again
        ⦁ Reeve's spinal cord was injured in a 1995 horse riding fall. He died in 2004
        ⦁ She remembered her dad helping others before and after his accident
        read...
        https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...yzed-walk.html
        Gov't approves test using iPS cells to treat spinal cord injuries
        Feb. 19 06:45 am JST
        9 Comments
        By Christophe Gateau
        TOKYO
        A team of Japanese researchers will carry out an unprecedented trial using a kind of stem cell to try to treat debilitating spinal cord injuries, the specialists said on Monday.
        The team at Tokyo's Keio University has received government approval for a trial using so-called induced Pluripotent Stem (iPS) cells -- which have the potential to develop into any cell in the body -- to treat patients with serious spinal cord injuries.
        The trial, expected to begin later this year, will initially focus on four patients who suffered their injuries just 14 to 28 days beforehand, the university said.
        more...
        https://japantoday.com/category/feat...ith-stem-cells

        Comment


          SpineX Names Scientific Advisory Board to Guide Development of Non-Invasive Medical Devices for Neuromodulation of the Spine
          \l "\l "\l "https://plus.google.com/share?url=http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/02/26/1742433/0/en/SpineX-Names-Scientific-Advisory-Board-to-Guide-Development-of-Non-Invasive-Medical-Devices-for-Neuromodulation-of-the-Spine.htmlEmail Print Friendly Share
          February 26, 2019 08:15 ET | Source: SpineX
          LOS ANGELES, Feb. 26, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SpineX, a developer of non-invasive medical devices to address a broad range of medical conditions through the neuromodulation of the spinal cord to restore function lost to injury and disease, named a group of leading scientists in the field of neuroscience and medicine to serve on its scientific advisory board.
          “As SpineX seeks to address a range of medical issues through the neuromodulation devices it is developing, these renowned scientists will help guide us with their expertise and knowledge,” said Dr. V. Reggie Edgerton, co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer of SpineX. “Their insights will help accelerate the translation of our pioneering science into products that benefit patients with conditions ranging from incontinence to paralysis.”
          more...
          https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...the-Spine.html

          Comment


            $138 million since the foundation was started is pretty bad news from where I stand. Curing SCI isn't a millions of dollars project, it's a billions of dollars project. Just getting epidural stim commercialized will take the companies working on it about $35 million from what I've heard. That's AFTER the research phase and that's not a cure, but just estim.

            Imagine if we could have HALF of the $5.7 billion wall project for SCI. SCI costs the US taxpayer something north of $20 billion / year so curing it with a few billion bucks is a net savings.
            But that's just rational thought instead of politics, so it won't happen.
            T3 complete since Sept 2015.

            Comment


              We need to work that into catchy slogan that able body folks can get hold of.

              $5billion for SCI research and not a WALL.


              Originally posted by Mize View Post
              $138 million since the foundation was started is pretty bad news from where I stand. Curing SCI isn't a millions of dollars project, it's a billions of dollars project. Just getting epidural stim commercialized will take the companies working on it about $35 million from what I've heard. That's AFTER the research phase and that's not a cure, but just estim.

              Imagine if we could have HALF of the $5.7 billion wall project for SCI. SCI costs the US taxpayer something north of $20 billion / year so curing it with a few billion bucks is a net savings.
              But that's just rational thought instead of politics, so it won't happen.

              Comment


                Japan Moves to Make Spinal Cord Injury History
                By Akanimo Sampson
                -February 28, 2019
                https://thenews-chronicle.com/japan-...njury-history/

                Comment


                  Science News
                  from research organizations

                  Restoring movement and autonomic function in patients with complete paralysis
                  Study demonstrates spinal cord stimulation as a treatment for chronic spinal cord injury
                  Date:
                  January 31, 2019
                  Source:
                  University of Minnesota Medical School
                  Summary:
                  Researchers show that spinal cord stimulation can immediately restore some voluntary movement and autonomic functions such as cardiovascular, bowel, and bladder years after a paralyzing injury without any significant rehabilitation.
                  read...
                  https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0131130014.htm

                  Comment


                    Science News
                    from research organizations

                    Scientists identify gene partnerships that promote spinal cord regeneration
                    Date:
                    March 6, 2019
                    Source:
                    Marine Biological Laboratory
                    Summary:
                    Scientists have identified gene 'partners' in the axolotl salamander that, when activated, allow the neural tube and associated nerve fibers to functionally regenerate after severe spinal cord damage. Interestingly, these genes are also present in humans, though they are activated in a different manner.
                    more....
                    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0306081657.htm

                    Comment


                      Stem cell clinical trials part of new groundbreaking research
                      ANTHONY GALLOWAY, National Political Reporter, Herald SunMarch 12, 2019 9:30am

                      Patients suffering from deadly diseases could soon be infused with stem cells as part of a $150 million funding boost.
                      The Herald Sun can reveal a new Federal Government medical research program, to be unveiled today, will look at beginning clinical trials with humans within the next 10 years.
                      The Australian Stem Cell Therapies Mission will support radical stem cell research for a range of conditions including heart disease, spinal cord injuries, strokes and kidney disease.
                      Researchers will also look at how stem cells can grow into brain cells and then repair the damage caused by neurological conditions including dementia and Parkinson’s disease.
                      more...
                      https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...fe392c0830c3db

                      Comment


                        Gene medication shows promise to treat spinal cord injuries
                        Download PDF Copy
                        Reviewed by Alina Shrourou, BScMar 18 2019
                        The two-gene medication has been proven to recover motor functions in rats. After several months of treatment, rodents were able to use previously paralyzed limbs. Researchers at Kazan Federal University are now seeking pre-clinical trial investment.
                        One of the problems with spinal cord injuries is that after they occur, a connective tissue cicatrix forms around them. This prevents further growth of axons. The research group wants to decrease cicatrix growth speed and stimulate regeneration of axons.
                        more...
                        https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-injuries.aspx

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by NW-Will View Post
                          We need to work that into catchy slogan that able body folks can get hold of.

                          $5billion for SCI research and not a WALL.
                          At least the WALL fund will give us something to show for our money.
                          Money into SCI is like going into a black hole.
                          Last edited by Tim C.; 20 Mar 2019, 12:20 PM. Reason: typo

                          Comment


                            Occupational Therapy: Enabling individuals to reach maximum independence

                            By Karen LeBeau
                            April is National Occupational Therapy Awareness Month, the perfect time to reflect on the many benefits of occupational therapy. Occupational therapy may benefit patients with neurological, orthopedic, psychiatric, arthritic, and cardiac conditions; post-surgical and post-trauma patients; pulmonary and oncology patients; and a wide variety of general medical patients.
                            Occupational therapy helps individuals with their daily “occupations.” Occupations go beyond your job, and include everything we do from the moment we wake up until the moment we fall asleep. It’s difficult to get ready for work if you can’t get dressed.
                            read...
                            https://www.norwichbulletin.com/news...m-independence

                            Comment


                              Texas Back Institute miraculously treats young man’s severe spinal cord injuries

                              By Alex Gonzalez mailto:alexgonzalez@planoprofile.com
                              Posted on April 11, 2019

                              On a November night in 2017 in the town of Achille, OK, a mother received news no parent could ever imagine hearing. Michelle Williams had received a phone call from her husband notifying her that her son, Braiden had flipped over his pickup truck and had been ejected from the vehicle. When Braiden’s parents arrived at the scene of the accident, Braiden was unable to move the left side of his body.
                              more...

                              https://localprofile.com/2019/04/11/...cord-injuries/

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by manouli View Post
                                Texas Back Institute miraculously treats young man’s severe spinal cord injuries

                                By Alex Gonzalez mailto:alexgonzalez@planoprofile.com
                                Posted on April 11, 2019

                                On a November night in 2017 in the town of Achille, OK, a mother received news no parent could ever imagine hearing. Michelle Williams had received a phone call from her husband notifying her that her son, Braiden had flipped over his pickup truck and had been ejected from the vehicle. When Braiden’s parents arrived at the scene of the accident, Braiden was unable to move the left side of his body.
                                more...

                                https://localprofile.com/2019/04/11/...cord-injuries/
                                {rolled eyes} I'm glad the kid was lucky.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X