Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioness Inc. Receives FDA Clearance And CE Mark For Its NESS H200 Wireless System For Hand Paralysis As A Result Of Stroke And Other Central Nervous System Disorders
    By PR Newswire 10/04/11 - 09:01 AM EDT

VALENCIA, Calif., Oct. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Bioness Inc. today announced that it has received 510(k) clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and CE Mark Approval by the European Union for its NESS H200® Wireless Hand Rehabilitation System. This new wireless system allows patients to better integrate the NESS H200 into daily life, increasing therapy time which may lead to increased patient compliance and better outcomes.

The NESS H200 Wireless is an advanced hand rehabilitation system designed to use mild Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) to improve hand function and promote motor recovery in patients who have lost function of their upper extremity following injury to the central nervous system such as stroke, traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury. The device is intended to provide certain individuals with hand paralysis the ability to grasp and release objects while performing ordinary and essential activities of daily living.

read...

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11267...disorders.html
    Last edited by manouli; 10-06-2011, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• See more news releases in: Health Care & Hospitals, Medical Pharmaceuticals, Awards

Kessler Awarded $2.28 Million Federal Grant for Spinal Cord Injury Research

WEST ORANGE, N.J., Oct. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research of the U.S. Department of Education awarded a $2.28 million federal grant to Kessler Foundation. The five-year grant funds the Northern New Jersey Spinal Cord Injury System (NNJSCIS), a comprehensive system of care, research, education and dissemination aimed at improving quality of life for people with spinal cord injury. The NNJSCIS is a cooperative effort of Kessler Foundation, Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation, and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Newark.

"Our collaborative system is excited to receive this recognition of our comprehensive services and research activities in the realm of spinal cord injury," said Steven Kirshblum, MD, co-director of the NNJSCIS. "We look forward to continuing our dedication to individuals with these catastrophic injuries." Dr. Kirshblum is medical director of Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation and director of SCI Services.

NNJSCIS collects patient data from the time of injury through long-term followup, which is contributed to the National SCI Statistical Center. Data are used to identify areas where investigation is needed.

read...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...131042443.html

Comment

• Research Indicates That Adult Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells May Be Viable Treatment For Spinal Cord Injury Repair

Main Category: Neurology / Neuroscience
        Also Included In: Stem Cell Research
        Article Date: 06 Oct 2011

Research from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, published online ahead of print in Stem Cells and Development, shows that adult human mesenchymal stem cells may have an important role in the treatment and repair of spinal cord injuries. Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are found mainly in the bone marrow and are the focus of many clinical trials that investigate potential methods of neurological repair and other regenerative applications.

more....

http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalne...?newsid=235546

Comment

• Body suit may soon enable the paralyzed to walk

An international research team announces it has taken a key step toward achieving its goal of a 'prosthetic exoskeleton' that a quadriplegic could command by brain power.
          By Melissa Healy, Los Angeles Times
          October 6, 2011

In a busy lab at Duke University, Dr. Miguel Nicolelis is merging brain science with engineering in a bid to create something fantastical: a full-body prosthetic device that would allow those immobilized by injury to walk again.

On Wednesday, Nicolelis and an international group of collaborators declared that they had cleared a key hurdle on the path toward that goal, demonstrating they could bypass the body's complex network of nerve endings and supply the sensation of touch directly to the brains of monkeys.

Nicolelis and his collaborators — engineers, neuroscientists and physiologists from Brazil, Switzerland, Germany and the United States — are working toward an ambitious objective: On the opening day of the 2014 World Cup soccer tournament in Brazil, they hope to send a young quadriplegic striding out to midfield to open the games, suited up in the "prosthetic exoskeleton" they aim to build.

more...

http://www.wpix.com/health/la-he-bra...,6016455.story

Comment

• Created: Friday, October 7, 2011 11:47 a.m. CDT

Praying for Larry Dhondt: Making progress
            By Mike Mendenhall NDN Staff Writer
            Comments (No comments posted) | Add

DES MOINES — Kellogg resident and Newton Correctional Facility Officer Larry Dhondt continues to make strides in his recovery from a critical motorcycle accident Aug. 3. During his treatments and therapies on the fourth-floor rehabilitation unit at Mercy Medical Center on Des Moines’ northeast side, Dhondt is beginning to reach milestones large and small.

“Exciting news. The therapist stood Larry up today,” his family posted on the Facebook Page “Praying for Larry Dhondt.” “It’s crazy how one thing in your life changes and from that point on you take nothing for granted, and every small step is a blessing. We are so happy with his progress and amazed by such wonderful support.”

The celebration of even the smallest milestone is something that former University of Nortre Dame swimmer Haley Scott Demaria understands all too well. The former swimmer was left paralyzed from the waist down in 1992 from a team bus accident that killed two of her fellow Fighting Irish and injured several others. After extensive therapy and multiple surgeries Demaria can again walk. She met privately with Dhondt Thursday morning.

“An injury like this I believe does define your life. It has for me,” she said. “But what I tell people is that although it may not be the path you intended or envisioned, it can still be very meaningful and fulfilling.”

more...

http://www.newtondailynews.com/artic...7ija/index.xml

Comment

• There's hope for those with spinal cord injuries - Hansen
              Published Saturday October 8th, 2011

By COLIN MCPHAIL
              For The Daily Gleaner

The Stan Cassidy Centre for Rehabilitation was the focus of attention on the second day of the Fredericton leg of the Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary Man In Motion Relay.

Thanks to the centre and an inspiration offered by Rick Hansen, Wilf Torunski, who has been in a wheelchair for the past 41/2 years, drove there from his home in St. Stephen.

After suffering a spinal column injury caused by a bacterial infection, Torunski, 69, was on the brink of death and left without the ability to use his legs.

"I couldn't even wiggle my toes," he said to the crowd of more than 40 at the Stan Cassidy therapeutic recreational centre Friday morning.

"I went through a near-death experience. I couldn't tell the difference between day and night. I was still hallucinating."

He said his wife Donna was the catalyst to begin rehabilitation. Even though his chances of recovery were slim because of his age, 65 at the time, and his height, 6'3", she kept pushing him and still does.

On Friday, Torunski sat in his wheelchair on the outdoor gazebo, dressed in the blue and yellow Rick Hansen relay tracksuit with the participation medal slung around his neck, with Hansen, Energy Minister Craig Leonard and Stan Cassidy medical director Dr. Rob Leckey.

Torunski underwent intensive physiotherapy at the Blusson Spinal Cord Centre in Vancouver, where he and his wife were living at the time. He was accepted into the first Lokomat Research Project under Dr. Tania Lam at the Blusson Centre - the home of the Rick Hansen Institute. The project was designed to ensure patients could walk using a walker.

read...

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/f...rticle/1446483

Comment

• Paralyzed Patient Moves Prosthetic Arm With Thoughts Alone
                Editor's Choice
                Also Included In: IT / Internet / E-mail
                Article Date: 10 Oct 2011 - 10:00 PDT

A paralyzed adult male patient used a brain computer interface to move a prosthetic arm - all he had to do was use his thoughts and the arm moved. Tim Hemmes touch hands with his girlfriend in an emotional high-five moment. Hemmes, 30, had a motorbike accident seven years ago which damaged his spinal cord, leaving him paralyzed.

The researchers say that Hemmes is the first patient in a new human study which is determining whether a paralyzed person's thoughts can be used to control an external device, such as a sophisticated prosthetic arm or a computer cursor.

more...
                http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/235737.php

Comment

• Originally posted by manouli View Post
                  Paralyzed Patient Moves Prosthetic Arm With Thoughts Alone
                  Editor's Choice
                  Also Included In: IT / Internet / E-mail
                  Article Date: 10 Oct 2011 - 10:00 PDT

A paralyzed adult male patient used a brain computer interface to move a prosthetic arm - all he had to do was use his thoughts and the arm moved. Tim Hemmes touch hands with his girlfriend in an emotional high-five moment. Hemmes, 30, had a motorbike accident seven years ago which damaged his spinal cord, leaving him paralyzed.

The researchers say that Hemmes is the first patient in a new human study which is determining whether a paralyzed person's thoughts can be used to control an external device, such as a sophisticated prosthetic arm or a computer cursor.

more...
                  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/235737.php
                  Ummm, I'll take a biological cure over assimilation, thank you! Live long and prosper.
                  "I'm manic as hell-
                  But I'm goin' strong-
                  Left my meds on the sink again-
                  My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Comment

• Originally posted by ineedmyelin View Post
                    Ummm, I'll take a biological cure over assimilation, thank you! Live long and prosper.
                    Here here!!!

I hate the fact that good money gets wasted on prosthetics and robo stuff
                    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

• Originally posted by ineedmyelin View Post

me too.

Comment

• Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
                        Here here!!!

I hate the fact that good money gets wasted on prosthetics and robo stuff

Wasted? So our men/women who get their limbs blown off in Afghanistan/Iraq should be content with hook arms and c-legs?

This technology can allow a paralyzed person who is "locked in" to be able to use a computer/control a wheelchair. That alone makes this technology worthwhile. That alone has already given SCI more function back than stem cells.

Comment

• Electronic stimulation shows promise for quadriplegics
                          ANNE McILROY
                          SCIENCE REPORTER
                          Published Monday, Oct. 10, 2011 9:26PM EDT

LasHarmandeep Saini needed someone to feed him, brush his teeth, give him his medication and put his bus token in the fare box after a motorcycle accident left him a quadriplegic three years ago. Today, the 25-year-old can do these things on his own thanks to a promising new therapy that has given him back some control of his hands.
                          t updated Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2011 7:18AM

Infographic
                          How electronic stimulation helps heal quadriplegics
                          Functional electrical stimulation, or FES, involves using small amounts of electricity to push muscles into action and retrain the central nervous system. It is still experimental, but a national clinical trial is now getting underway with funding from the Rick Hansen Institute.

read...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...s-promise-for-
                          Last edited by manouli; 10-12-2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• I get a 404 error ^ ........try this... V

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2196932/

Comment

• Originally posted by tumbleweeds View Post
                              I get a 404 error ^ ........try this... V

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2196932/

thank you.

Comment

• Customized Assistive Devices for People With Spinal Cord Injuries
                                ScienceDaily (Oct. 11, 2011) — The first active orthosis prototype, developed at the UPC, assists muscles affected by incomplete spinal cord injury.

A team from the Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Biomedical Engineering Research Centre (CREB) of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya. BarcelonaTech (UPC) has developed an active knee-ankle orthosis to assist gait in people with incomplete spinal cord injury. The project is being carried out in collaboration with the University of A Coruña and the University of Extremadura.

read...
                                http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1011112305.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X