Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Lost Feeling In My Fingers Overnight???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Lost Feeling In My Fingers Overnight???

Is this possible? I went too sleep last night feeling fine, when I woke up today my fingers felt numb, like they were asleep, but now here I am, 3 hours later and no change. I am a C5-6 Quad for 19 years. I didn't think a cyst worked that fast. I guess I need to see Dr.Green!
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Are your fingers numb on both sides or just one side. If they are numb on both, it would suggest a problem with your spinal cord. However, if it is only one side, a peripheral nerve compression can explain the symptoms. You should go get it checked out as soon as possible.

Wise.

Comment

fingers

My thumb and two first fingers on my one hand felt like they were asleep when I woke up this morning, and stayed that way for hours. Now they seem to have more feeling back, but there is something wrong, I still feel a tingling in them. The feeling is not normal like it was. I did twist my neck in bed last night that caused a little pain in my neck, but I'm still worried that I may be losing some of the return I got 14 years ago. I can still tell hot or cold and feel different surfaces. I am bummed!
      "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Comment

Your description indicates that you have compressed your radial nerve on one side. It is possible that the compression is occurring at a root level but it is more likely that it is a result of compression of a more peripheral part of the nerve. This can be diagnosed definitely with a careful neurological examination and confirmed electrophysiologically. You should get yourself examined by a neurologist, neurosurgeon, or physiatrist. If it appears to be at the root or spinal cord level, you need to get an MRI.

Wise.

Comment

Both hands seems to be burning now. The pain I had in my neck was the right side but the problem started with my left hand. I have an appointment for the 15th of Jan, but I am going to insisted they move it up. Also I have four rings of wire in my spinal fusion, the MRI's they took 9 years ago didn't turn out to well, is there anything they can do now, other than MRI.

Comment

Hi Norm,
            If I were you, I would go to the emergency room and try to get an MRI done, now. I believe that there is a way to get a good view even with the metal in your neck. Good luck Norm.
            -bob
            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

RDF,I haven't lost any movement, The feeling is back, its just a slight burning pain, I can deal with it. The ER is a nightmare at this time of the year in South FLorida. I'll just have to wait until next week. Thanx

Comment

Did you take any new medication? Some can cause the side effect of paresthesia (numbness in extremities.)
                Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

And if it is on one side quit leaning on that elbow. Although normally the elbow smashing tends to effect the 3 smaller fingers.
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

The burning pain is gone, but I have tingling & decreased sensitivity in small spots on my thumb, first & second finger, on the left hand only. But not as bad as the first day. After New Years I'm to get every test I need, to make sure this is not a cyst. I'm not sure if I should go right to Dr. Barth Green in Miami, or my Doctor who has treated me for the last few years and works at Pinecrest Rehab in Delray Beach FL. Any suggestions Dr. Young?
                    Thanx everyone for your help.

Comment

Norm,

Steel wires (which is what they probably used) will interfere with the MRI. It is possible to do a CT scan with contrast enhancement to show a cyst but it is not as sensitive as an MRI. On the other hand, a CT scan should show bone and th presence of any bony spurs that might be putting pressure on a spinal root. They should be paying special attention to your C8 root which innervates your thumb-side of your hand.

The differential diagnosis (the list of possible causes of the symptoms, in order of likelihood based on your description) include
                      • a slipped disc or bone spur compressing the C7-C8 spinal roots,
                      • compression of your radial nerve somewhere between the shoulder and the wrist.
                      • a syringomyelic cyst that is expanding.

It does sound, however, as if the symptoms may be going away. Given that your original injury level was C5-6 and the involvement appears to be at the level of C8, when you say that you are not getting any motor loss, how much function did you have in the thumb and index finger before all this happened?

Are there any other symptoms, i.e. change in spasticity, sweating, sensory level in the thoracic area, bladder spasticity or other function changes? If none of these changed, it would argue against a syringomyelic cyst expansion since it would be unlikely to produce isolated sensory loss in one hand and that is resolving.

Wise.

Comment

"how much function did you have in the thumb and index finger before all this happened?"

I had none when I first got hurt in 1982, then in 1987 I noticed I could wiggle the muscle in between my thumb & first finger eventually it got strong enough so I could hold a glass & fork, pick things up etc.. I can still do all those things now. What I notice now is the feeling seems a little numb and hurts a little in a few spots on that thumb and first & second finger.

Thanks alot for you time and help. Norm

Comment

Working...
                        X