No announcement yet.

Promise of stem cells fulfilled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dickey Amendment (also known as the Dickey-Wicker Amendment) is the name of an appropriation bill rider attached to a bill passed by United States Congress in 1995, and signed by former President Bill Clinton.
    I now blame clinton,bush and obama for no cure.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
      The issue has been complicated by a judge who has ruled that Obama's executive order to allow NIH to fund embryonic stem cell research and NIH's subsequent policy does not comply with the Dickey/Wickers amendment which forbids the use of NIH to fund any activity that may harm human embryos. This is despite the stem cell research enhancement act (SCREA) being passed three times by both the House and Senate, vetoed twice by G. W. Bush, but finally passed in the first year of the Obama administration. The issue will come up before the Supreme Court and there has been a stay of the cease funding order until the Supreme Court can decide the case.

Many legal pundits believe that the only answer is to repeal the Dickey/Wicker's amendment. The new republican majority in the House will prevent this repeal. So, many advocates believe that this must be done by the outgoing members of the House, i.e. during the "lame duck" session. What is most unfortunate is the perception created by this court decision, that NIH funding of embryonic stem cell research is killing embryos. That is simply false. What does kill embryos, by the hundreds of thousands every year are in vitro fertilization (IVF) procedures. The decision will stop all embryonic stem cell research including those derived before 2001 and permitted by the Bush administration.

The court decision will stop legitimate and ethical research on embryonic stem cells while allowing unrestricted abuse of embryos by companies and individuals. At the present, there is no federal law to prevent a wealthy individual paying women to donate eggs and fertilizing the eggs with his sperm or cloning them, to create as many blastocysts as needed. The only way to stop abuse of blastocysts and embryos is to let legitimate NIH-funded science go forward. The future will be better understanding of what embryonic stem cells do and to be able to replicate this in transplantable cells.

There is no question that Bush and Obama have both contributed to the morass that we find ourselves in. Bush did so by requiring American scientists to study only embryonic stem cells derived before August 2001. Obama did so by allowing the bureaucrats at NIH to restrict stem cell research further and to place retroactive obstacles to approving cell lines created in the past. This is now the third year of Obama administration and they have yet to increase embryonic stem cell research or, for that matter, any stem cell research. The democratic leadership in Congress ducked the issue of repealing the Dickey/Wicker's amendment.

Other countries are overtaking the US in stem cell research. The discovery of IPS cells was made by Yamanaka in Japan. I have the feeling that the first clinical application of IPS cells for therapy will be done overseas as well. Note that these cells have nothing to do with embryos and yet there is no support for this research by the conservatives. With the exception of California, there is no significant research funding for embryonic stem cell research in the United States. A majority of Americans support embryonic stem cell research in poll after poll. Yet, the research has now been stymied for over a decade. Most Americans probably don't realize that NIH currently spends less than 1% of its $30 billion budget on human stem cell research, including embryonic, neonatal, and adult stem cells, even though stem cells are generally acknowledged to be the most important advance in biomedical research since the discovery that DNA is the basis of genetics.

If the United States loses its leadership in biomedical research, it will not be because it was not warned. It is frightening because the US has already lost its ability to compete in manufacturing cars, electronics, clothing, and consumer goods. It is now giving away its leadership in biomedical research by suppressing stem cell research. Once it loses its leadership in biomedical research, the only field that the country will dominate in is weapons research. That would be very sad indeed.

Wise.
      Great explination of what has happened with stem cell research and where we are at now, this should be published in some newspapers around the country.

Thanks Wise.

One other thing that happened through all of this was venture capitalists were hesitant to come into the embryonic stem cell arena because it wasn't supported by the government which has created a lot of uncertainty, they could have brought a huge infusion of cash which would have moved things along much more rapidly. The one thing I have heard consitantly about finding a cure faster is more CASH.

Comment

Originally posted by rjames View Post
        Great explination of what has happened with stem cell research and where we are at now, this should be published in some newspapers around the country.

Thanks Wise.

One other thing that happened through all of this was venture capitalists were hesitant to come into the embryonic stem cell arena because it wasn't supported by the government which has created a lot of uncertainty, they could have brought a huge infusion of cash which would have moved things along much more rapidly. The one thing I have heard consitantly about finding a cure faster is more CASH.
        I don't think that one should blame venture capitalists. They have actually funded embryonic stem cell companies, more than one would expect from the bitter partisanship on the issue. For example, there are now at least half a dozen stem cell companies that are focusing on creating iPS cell lines, establishing libraries of embryonic stem cells from parthnotes that would have homozygous HLA and therefore would match more people, and of course companies like Geron and Stem Cell Inc. that are now or will soon be testing the first embryonic stem cell lines in human spinal cord injury, spinal muscular atrophy, and other conditions. Venture capitalists don't invest funds out of the goodness of their hearts. They invest in ventures that are most likely to generate profit in as short a time as possible. With all the posturing and misinformation going on, it is a wonder that we have any companies at all in this business.

I am not sure that any of the presidents should be blamed for the morass. Congress is to blame, in my opinion, because they created the mess. The Dickey/Wicker amendment was urged by a small but very vocal anti-abortion minority who demanded that embryo research be restricted, even though the embryos do not come from abortions. Congress not only passed the Dickers/Wicker amendment but allowed that restrictive amendment added to the NIH appropriations bill year after year, even during years when the democrats controlled both the Senate and the House. That was because few senators or representatives had to guts to face this issue squarely.

The Dickey/Wicker amendment forced four generations of presidents to find ways to allow NIH to fund this research. George H. W. Bush, for example, supported a bill that would allow NIH grantees to study aborted fetuses as pathological specimens for research. When human embryonic stem cells were discovered in 1997, Bill Clinton convened panels of religious leaders, ethicists, and scientists to come up with a solution to allow NIH to fund such research. They came up with what is now embodied in the stem cell research enhancement act. George W. Bush decided that it was okay to study already derived embryonic stem cell lines and forbade study of embryonic stem cell lines derived after August of 2001. Obama continued the Clinton approach, which is a form of "don't ask, don't tell" policy for embryonic stem cells, i.e. NIH would be allowed to fund embryonic stem cell research as long as it is donated by the parents and derived by non-government organizations. In other words, it is nodding and winking at a situation that everybody knows exists but is pretending does not exist.

The Dickey-Wicker amendment needs to be modified to allow the research defined by the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act (SCREA). If the amendment is repealed from this year's appropriation bill, the Republicans must then add it back to next year's appropriation bill. Since they control the House of Representatives but not the Senate, the Democrats can prevent the passage of the bill. This would of course lead to failures to pass the appropriation bill and then there will be proposals of continuing resolutions to fund NIH at the previous year levels. This in turn will hurt NIH because it would essentially mean a 3% cut of NIH funded research when there is no increase to compensate for the rising cost of research.

Wise.
        Last edited by Wise Young; 11-09-2010, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Wise, bottom line is that the lame duck democrats might have a chnance to rewrite the Dickey ammendment. they have roughly 2 months to do so. I would like to see this take place but it seems that Judge Jambryth was able to decide against stem cell research in a mattoer of hours; we've been talking about rewitting the law to allow embryonic research for months if not years. You yourself has said that excess embryos from labs that are not used for women trying to create are thrown away. Politics are a funny thing and it appearsa that the greater the benefit the more it is trashed. Let's see what happens.

keepin on

Comment

Dr Young needs some prime time exposure to help him and us. I left this thread for a week to see where it went. I would love to see a pie graph of Dr. Young's budget from 1996 to 2010 and see his projected donations from the federal government for the year 2011. I am guessing it would be a big flat line. So 10 years from now when we see an article on stem cell research and they still blame roadblocks on george bush, memba' me? he did less wrong than clinton or obama, we should blame the idiots we voted in on a local level. If it is such a no brainer to over come this than why has your local congressman or senator not had the sack to push this through? Boy I don't get it for sure. If I am waiting on them to get something done....I will be waiting.....these are the folks that have provided us such great service as the DMV. Read for yourself.think for your self. even such great deep thinking,articulate intellects as this guy
            QUOTE=Mike Pell;1281065]you're an idiot![/QUOTE]

have been swooned by their local tv. Just look at whathasobamadoneforyou.com he solved the stem cell problem. Feeling any better? At least with an idiot like george bush in charge and his epic a@hole move of veto people were talking about stem cell research and my local state government tried to compensate by granting $ to research. whether any of that $ ever hit the hands of deserving people like Dr.Young or not is yet to be determined.
            Back to my first post on this thread, I love how everyone blames George Bush for holding up stem cell research. not a right wing lunatic, not a left wing lunatic, call me what you will...a middle wing lunatic asking WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by smirking1 View Post
              At least with an idiot like george bush in charge and his epic a@hole move of veto people were talking about stem cell research and my local state government tried to compensate by granting $ to research. whether any of that $ ever hit the hands of deserving people like Dr.Young or not is yet to be determined.
              Do your homework and quit smirking.
              • Dr Young doesn't work with esc's.
              • Talking about stem cell research as a fun controversy that drives cable news ratings is worse than worthless to people actually doing research.
              • We just spent two days listening to actual scientists with an actual agenda for curing sci talk about their plans, some of which involved stem cells. They would all tell you that the Bush ban on federal funding put the big stomp on research.

What's the real agenda? We need to make common cause around here and stop wasting time ripping each other for our politics. I think Bush was an idiot, so what? Other people think Obama is a joke, whatever. The cure is bigger than that b.s., and real people are trying to make it happen.

Comment

i agree. politics gets nothing done. WE are no better today than WE were 3 years ago. if anybody even wrinkles their nose at obama they are automatically put in the right wing lunatic column. Anybody that talks against a republican is in the left wing lunatic column. where are we? of course those guys bash bush....if you were a grocery bagger and there was a president saying i will never give money to a grocery bagger, you are going to rag on him. my point is give me an actual monetary value to attach to anyone that has given in to stem cell research for spinal cord injuries.....crickets chirping...... stem cell research is above and beyond politics....clinton,bush,obama it will go on and eventually someone will figure it out and i do not care who is president then, i just care that it gets done if not for my sake then for my children's sake. until i win the powerball and hand dr.young a 100 million dollar check he will always be out there fund raising who the president is matters nothing......prove me wrong and i will gladly fall out of my chair and the best i can on one knee apologize to you. yeah i am an idiot, and boy i don't get it......look at whathasobamadoneforyou.com and think stem cell research is thriving. when dr. young spends 24/7 in his lab i will be happy. F politics. Got no agenda here just a wheelchair and an inkling of hope just like last year and the year before that, and the year before that, and......

Comment

smirking, the politics of stem cell therapy is only adversion from doing real work. Sen Harkin has said that the lame duck congress will take up stem cell therapy and hopefully rewrite the laws and bills that have to do with research, The Republicans will choose to divert from doing work for the country by protesting the research. Remember that that vast popullice of the USA is in favor of this research. The ineptness of politicians will raise it's ugly head again. Research and progress will continue no matter what. I think we all are hoping of breakthroughs in therapy for chronics soon. Maybe not a total cure but improvements in all our lives. Good luck
                  keeping on
                  Last edited by keeping on; 11-13-2010, 06:30 PM.

Comment

i will shoulder the burden of being the devil's advocate.....but at least 2 years ago people were talking about stem cell research.....today there is no buzz to it because the popular president has airquotes taken care of the problem and put everyone at ease....in 2020 let all the articles blame george bush for holding up stem cell research for 8-10 years. who ever is president then.....i will be willing to take the blame for picking on them also....nothing personal folks, i just want to have one last run.

Comment

Working...
                    X