Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ChinaSCINet Update

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    "You seem to have missed this:


    Quote:
    I obviously cannot talk about this data in a public forum until it has been accepted in a peer-review journal.


    Patience grasshopper."


    Good point t8burst. However, I'm no expert but shouldn't the peer reviewe work be done on animals first then go to human trials? I might be confused here.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Jim View Post
      Fellas, let's not get personal, we are all in this together.
      I agree Jim - I don't think anything in my posts was personal, unless calling rjg ageist is personal in which case I apologize.

      I happen to think rjg's post was disrespectful and unnecessary

      Comment


        Thanks, t8burst, "grasshopper" is much more preferable (on multiple fronts) than an "ass on multiple fronts" and "anti-homosexual slur", though the latter is quite a compliment for me,-sorry, we all have one's little vices. You, for example, prefer dogs and continue yapping in spite of the fact that I have more than once dropped a hint that produced by you sounds is not what I expect to hear as a response to my inquiries. So, be a good puppy, ignore my posts.
        Last edited by kivi66; 24 Jun 2012, 8:41 AM.

        Comment


          Dr Young says he observed some patients walking ... then laments about funding for further trials hinting that they need money.

          It seems all very simple to me.
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

          T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

          Comment


            it is simple Lynnifer!
            The most important, 3rd phase of this trial is in jeopardy due to lack of resources.
            Looks like some patients had some unexpected progress even through safety testing phases and Dr. Wise excitedly shared his "personal observation" in Open house.

            Real data still waiting examination and could eventually along with phase 3 results shape our future.

            By my opinion, if therapy shows proven safety record it is better to keep testing and researching all fine details in a real life, through phase 3, helping real people, rather than go back to animal study and again years of lab testing to figure out what are real mechanisms behind possible recoveries after UCBMC and lithium injection & vigorous exercise program.

            This is very exciting time in SCI Cure search and Dr. Wise is under tremendous pressure from people that from any reason want to find mistake in his steps in a new dance he is trying to teach himself and dance something that no one danced before.

            Imagine what team would be if Dr. Wise & Dr. Silver and couple of other top researchers start to play together!

            We would land on the moon!
            www.MiracleofWalk.com

            Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
            to what we know about nature
            Saint Augustine

            Comment


              Originally posted by comad View Post
              Imagine what team would be if Dr. Wise & Dr. Silver and couple of other top researchers start to play together!

              We would land on the moon!
              Scientific sci national and international collaboration is in play and movement. Lots of good things will happen.

              Comment


                I request that people be more respectful of scientists. I have the greatest respect for Jerry Silver, particularly for his pioneering role in discovering the important role of chondroitin-6-sulfate-proteoglycans in inhibiting axonal growth in the spinal cord. He is a great scientist.

                Scientists naturally have many disagreements on what is the best route for curing spinal cord injury. None of us possess the full story of spinal cord injury and what will cure spinal cord injury. However, we do agree on many subjects. It is useful for the spinal cord injury community to know what scientists agree and do not agree on.

                On the other hand, I don't think that it is useful for members of the spinal cord injury community to compare and pit one scientist against another. That doesn't help anybody at all. We all are working for the same goal and should be working together.

                I want to clear up one persistent misunderstanding. I lead clinical trial networks that test promising and feasible therapies for SCI. The trials are not testing "my" therapies. We are testing therapies developed by many independent laboratories.

                Some day, we hope to test therapies discovered by Jerry Silver, Stephen Davies, Mari Dezawa, Lisa McKerracher, Zhigang He, Ozzy Steward, Mary Bunge, and many others. I wish that we had the funds to test more therapies. There will naturally be disagreement with our choices. I would be happy to discuss them.

                Wise.

                Comment


                  I know many of you have been injured far longer than my son who is not quite 1 year post yet. You deserve the right to ask tough respectful questions, but when I see people attacking the ones that are trying to help us, it makes me lose a little hope. I see professional disagreements in the software design field all the time, in the end we usually come out with a better product. In the end I could care less of whose cure is the one. I know that the scientists that post here are honorable and passionate. Thank you for your dedication.
                  Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

                  Comment


                    Muskie, you are right; you see disagreement from time to time. WE ARE LOOKING FOR A CURE. this thread is titeld the cure forum/. we are up and down constantly but things are happening. I just don't know who to belive. I hope that for your son and other youg people will get a treatment that will allow them to get on withn their lives, as well as yours. I also hope that something will yield benefits for longer term and older patents who have been on this forum for years and sit and wait.

                    anthony

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                      I request that people be more respectful of scientists. I have the greatest respect for Jerry Silver, particularly for his pioneering role in discovering the important role of chondroitin-6-sulfate-proteoglycans in inhibiting axonal growth in the spinal cord. He is a great scientist.

                      Scientists naturally have many disagreements on what is the best route for curing spinal cord injury. None of us possess the full story of spinal cord injury and what will cure spinal cord injury. However, we do agree on many subjects. It is useful for the spinal cord injury community to know what scientists agree and do not agree on.

                      On the other hand, I don't think that it is useful for members of the spinal cord injury community to compare and pit one scientist against another. That doesn't help anybody at all. We all are working for the same goal and should be working together.

                      I want to clear up one persistent misunderstanding. I lead clinical trial networks that test promising and feasible therapies for SCI. The trials are not testing "my" therapies. We are testing therapies developed by many independent laboratories.

                      Some day, we hope to test therapies discovered by Jerry Silver, Stephen Davies, Mari Dezawa, Lisa McKerracher, Zhigang He, Ozzy Steward, Mary Bunge, and many others. I wish that we had the funds to test more therapies. There will naturally be disagreement with our choices. I would be happy to discuss them.

                      Wise.
                      Thanks Wise.

                      Dear CC community,

                      We are all in this together and until we help those with SCI get better we will not rest. Good heated scientific debate stirs passion and helps maintain our focus on what is really important...to develop real solutions to cure chronic spinal cord injury. I stirred the pot yet again. Ch'ase has, indeed, been shown to be effective after a contusive type of injury. Importantly, we will report shortly the development of a second generation and markedly improved strategy that works better than ch'ase to overcome CSPG mediated inhibition. The new therapy is highly effective in restoring function (locomotion and bladder function) after severe contusive injury using a simple, systemic route of administration. This time around we don't need Acorda and we have a much easier road to clinical trials. I still think I have a few good ideas left in this old brain and I have and will continue to dedicate most of what I think about to the SCI community.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by keeping on View Post
                        Muskie, you are right; you see disagreement from time to time. WE ARE LOOKING FOR A CURE. this thread is titeld the cure forum/. we are up and down constantly but things are happening. I just don't know who to belive. I hope that for your son and other youg people will get a treatment that will allow them to get on withn their lives, as well as yours. I also hope that something will yield benefits for longer term and older patents who have been on this forum for years and sit and wait.

                        anthony
                        I think the problem is "you don't know who to believe" which has the underlying assumption that some is right and someone is wrong. You can't look at research like that, it is just not that black and white. The reality is that in most likely every research project and clinical trial we learn something that we didn't know before and it gets us one step closer to a "cure". I put "cure" in quotes because SCI isn't a disease with one causative factor like say smallpox. No one sneezes on you and you catch SCI, it is caused by injury or in some people's case something like MS. There isn't going to be an SCI vaccine or a shot that you can take. What people are trying to do is induce the human body to do something it can't naturally do, which is repair the spinal cord. No one who get's their foot cut off goes around thinking that there is going to be some cure that will grow them a new foot, yet I see a lot of that mindset here.

                        Maybe in a few years we will know enough to say "put all our money here, this is the path" but we aren't there yet. We need a lot of smart people trying a lot of different things if we ever want to walk again. We should encourage all people trying to help us and since there is such limited funding choose carefully where our donations go but not attack or try and stifle other research.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by jsilver View Post
                          Thanks Wise.

                          Dear CC community,

                          We are all in this together and until we help those with SCI get better we will not rest. Good heated scientific debate stirs passion and helps maintain our focus on what is really important...to develop real solutions to cure chronic spinal cord injury. I stirred the pot yet again. Ch'ase has, indeed, been shown to be effective after a contusive type of injury. Importantly, we will report shortly the development of a second generation and markedly improved strategy that works better than ch'ase to overcome CSPG mediated inhibition. The new therapy is highly effective in restoring function (locomotion and bladder function) after severe contusive injury using a simple, systemic route of administration. This time around we don't need Acorda and we have a much easier road to clinical trials. I still think I have a few good ideas left in this old brain and I have and will continue to dedicate most of what I think about to the SCI community.
                          Thank you Dr.Silver,

                          Is your systemic therapy applicable for chronic SCI?

                          Comment


                            jerry, when will you be able to elaborate more in-depth on this new potential therapy that works better than Chase?
                            Does it have a name
                            "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

                            "what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "


                            2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                            Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

                            Comment


                              t8burst; no arguement there.

                              anthony

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
                                jerry, when will you be able to elaborate more in-depth on this new potential therapy that works better than Chase?
                                Does it have a name
                                Hi Lunasicc,

                                It was nice to meet you and your parents at W2W last year. I don't often post anymore, but saw that you made an inquiry and thought I'd share with you what I know.

                                You are probably already aware from our newsletters that Dr. Silver will be at W2W again this year. I've asked him to present information on his new discovery and the other research in his lab. He is also one of the scientists that is part of the collaboration U2FP is organizing. With some generous contributions from advocates, he will begin to work on a chronic injury model and apply this new discovery to the chronic model. He is already collaborating with other labs to move this piece of research forward.

                                Members of the U2FP team have been to his lab twice in the recent months to learn more about this piece of research and will make every effort to share the information as it becomes available.

                                I hope this is somewhat helpful and you have an opportunity to join us in November.
                                "Our lives begin to end the day
                                we become silent about things that matter."
                                - Martin Luther King Jr

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X