Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wise, you've explained about cell nerve growth; what about remyelination? Are your therapies providing for remyelination .

Thaniks in advance
    keeping on

Comment

Remember gimps- what can go wrong will, so focus on your home therapy plan and get whatever works working better.

Comment

Also, an outfit like Beikie does a lot of good. You get a month of intensive PT with your stem cell treatments and it is well-documented that intensive PT will help SCI people immensely even long after injury. Beikie cost somewhat less than a month of PT at project walk, plus your fee includes housing and you get to pig out on cheap chines take-out food. With 40% of folks getting a boost from the placebo effect, it is a good buy, just maybe advisable for us skeptics to skip the injections.

No, I have not been there.

We do owe it to people at this point to advise against medical tourism that involves any injections or surgery due to the oncoming tsunami of anti-biotic resistant bugs. Or should we just call them antibiotic immune bugs?
        Last edited by Tetracyclone; 12 Sep 2010, 9:44 AM. Reason: Left out a bit.

Comment

hi dr.wise,

i ask one of the private hospitals in china about using
          HLA-matched umbilical cord blood cells . this was their reply

''The stem cells we use have little immunogenicity, so we needn't
          consider about HLA-matching problem. We do not combine growth factors
          with cells. We know that some groups in China and overseas are
          undertaking research in this area including Lithium. It is very
          promising for the future. However at present nobody has studied
          sufficiently the differentiation of stem cells when growth factors are
          added. We do not have enough understanding and experience in it. We
          believe the best and safest way is to transplant stem cells in their
          natural state. We know they are stable. Also, we have not met any
          problem with HLA-matching. We claim this based on our research and
          clinical experience with 2125 patients.''

would you say this is true?

Thank u

Comment

Originally posted by td_trust View Post
            hi dr.wise,

i ask one of the private hospitals in china about using
            HLA-matched umbilical cord blood cells . this was their reply

''The stem cells we use have little immunogenicity, so we needn't
            consider about HLA-matching problem. We do not combine growth factors
            with cells. We know that some groups in China and overseas are
            undertaking research in this area including Lithium. It is very
            promising for the future. However at present nobody has studied
            sufficiently the differentiation of stem cells when growth factors are
            added. We do not have enough understanding and experience in it. We
            believe the best and safest way is to transplant stem cells in their
            natural state. We know they are stable. Also, we have not met any
            problem with HLA-matching. We claim this based on our research and
            clinical experience with 2125 patients.''

would you say this is true?

Thank u
            I assume that you asked the hospitals that are treating patients with cells provide by Beike Biotechnology. In my opinion, there is no evidence that the treatment that they provide or their route of administration results in recovery of patients. To my best understanding, based on their public talks on the subject, they are infusing non-HLA matched CD34+ cells intravenously or intrathecally into patients. Two decades of experience with intravenous infusion of umbilical cord blood has shown clearly that intravenously administered and non-HLA-matched umbilical cord blood cells are usually immune-rejected within several days. Beike Biotechnology has not provided any evidence to contradict this. In that respect, their statement that their cells are non-immunogenic is false.

They give the cells intrathecally to many of their patients. I believe that cells administered through this route will not get into the spinal cord injury site or the spinal cord surrounding injury site. The reason is because cerebrospinal fluid flows distally (downward). The cells are likely to end up in the cauda equina. Thus, I am skeptical that this approach would restore function to any of the their patients.

Finally, I am perturbed by their unsupported claims of efficacy and safety. They have claimed (including on this site) that the treatment is effective in 80% of patients and safe in 100% of the patients. I have never seen any data to support this statement. They have never published a peer-reviewed article on this subject. They are charging large sums of money for a therapy that has not been shown to be safe or effective and making unsupported claims for the the safety and efficacy of the treatment. In my opinion, this is unethical and I do not recommend this therapy or group.

Wise.

Comment

Wise, bottom line is these researchers, scam artists, and others, have no proff of success. People are looking for something to hang their hats on. We need credible tests and results to put these groups to sleep. I hope you and your treatment will help the thousadx and thousands of us who are looking for some help.

Comment

Tetra, your words are prophetic. What will go wrong will. We goota hang in there.

Comment

Are the trials going ahead today as planned? Godspeed.

Comment

I am very sorry to announce that due to issues relating to testing and shipping of the cells, the surgery on Monday October 11 could not be done and has been postponed to a later date, probably to the middle of November. The trial will still go. We are working hard to make sure that everything is ready.

Wise.

Comment

Wise,

I just noticed your post from last week. The glitch sounds almost predictable. Yes, almost. Trudge, trudge, said the weary foot soldier.

My introduction to you occurred in July of 2008, 6 weeks after entering the Veteran's Hospital in Taichung, Taiwan. My husband brought me a print out of your article from the net, characterized as <no cure, but Better BETTER>. I was at that time so oblivious to the meaning of the word 'paralyzed' that I simply used the article as reenforcement of my deep optimism and faith.

There, I have introduced myself to you.

When the convoy of rubber-tyred gimps and gimpettes whines at you "WHEN, WHEN?" try flashing your best enigmatic smile. Or, consider using the old-fashioned contractor's rule of timing: Take the time you know a task will require, then multiply it by at least 2, 3 to be safe. How many subcontractors are involved? 2 out of three of them will cast inexplicable delays in your direction, yet still you will be required to concoct some explanation for your clients.

Trudge, trudge.
                      Last edited by Tetracyclone; 14 Oct 2010, 2:07 PM. Reason: added a phrase.

Comment

cure

This just made my day.. where are they located in china and may I sign up to be a participant or pay out of pocket for the procedure.. would love to have some information on who to contact and talk to about making arrangments

Comment

cure

Dr wise young,

In your opinion who do you know that has had some kind of treatment and it actually showed results, as fas as a paraplegic is concerned? And do you think that is was worth it? Also do you know any places that are legitmate facilities for stem cell or any time of procedures?

Comment

Originally posted by PARASEXY View Post
                            This just made my day.. where are they located in china and may I sign up to be a participant or pay out of pocket for the procedure.. would love to have some information on who to contact and talk to about making arrangments

Dr wise young,

In your opinion who do you know that has had some kind of treatment and it actually showed results, as fas as a paraplegic is concerned? And do you think that is was worth it? Also do you know any places that are legitmate facilities for stem cell or any time of procedures?
                            You can't participate in the clinical trials unless you're
                            a citizen of that particular country.

There is no therapy available that will restore function.

These are clinical trials that will not be available to people
                            until they are proven safe an effective.

Comment

Thanks Buck Nastier.. I know that there isnt any cure.. I was just hoping that there was some kind of facilities to help even get the bowel and bladder function straight..lol I would be fine with that..

Comment

Para, the improved bladder and bowels is to come from Wise's trial, if ti succeeds. In addition there could be improved balance and some walking. That would be fine for starters for most of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X