Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell by this mri image how many segments my lesion is?
    to me it looks like 2.5-3 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by greenseed View Post
      Can anyone tell by this mri image how many segments my lesion is?
      to me it looks like 2.5-3 or so.

Have you asked your doctor?

Comment

I have not. Reading Jims response to your question perked my question. I will ask my physiatrist next time i see him.

Comment

My guess is there would have to be a separate trial for those with 3+ segments, possibly using a different surgical technique.

Comment

I saw the X-ray of my injury only once, and very briefly. It was soon after my injury, I was lying on a gurney at the time, and was unable to sit up. I asked the technicians to please let me see the X-ray before taking me back to my room. I had to crane my neck around to see the X-ray at all. To me, it looked like the break was all at just one spot, and that the lower portion of my spinal column was jutting off to one side by about a third of the width of the spinal column. I guess I should be able to request a copy of my X-rays. It seems that a lot of other people have theirs.
            Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

This fall in the U.S... Lmao !! I haven't been on here in 4 yrs because there's NO HOPE...... Will be hurt 6 yrs in August and have seen the same shit over and over so I quit coming on here.... 4 yrs later same stuff... Hahaha, I'll stick with Michigan Sportsman for an internet fix

Comment

Aj, sorry you are frustrated, but if you want to talk about what is actually going on with Dr. Young's US Clinical Trial this year, let me know.

Comment

Jim I would love to talk to anyone about the "trial" since I think I would make a prime canidate. I met Dr.Wise in Detroit first year I was hurt. False hope ever since. When ya can tell me it's ACTUALLY going to be available I'd love to talk... T6-9 complete spinal cord swollen not severed, good shape and no atrophy since day of injury. I'll be waiting and when it won't cost million $ to try

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                    It is a very intimate setting with families affected by SCI, most don't want their business on the internet.

Unless it was GOOD news.... Why wouldn't ANYTHING positive be on the NEWS ???? How many people are affected by sci daily or yearly ? Seems to me maybe a newsworthy story instead of this thug is dead and are presidents a joke !!

Was hurt in 2011 and it's 2017, it'll be here ........

Comment

Positivity starts with you. And you don't seem very positive.

Comment

4 years for me and the only "positives" I see are, er, er I'm still here after 4 years,on most days I don't see that as a positive . It seems to be all we hear is the good news from researchers looking for more funding so they have a job or quack clinics promoting their 1 person success stories. In the time it takes to get a trial going there are new "cures" which make the "old" waiting for trial to start almost obsolete, a never ending circle of research, promises research. Maybe a harsh assessment of the state of play but I now understand the "5 years to a cure" cynics

Comment

If you would have read further back in this thread you would have seen that Wise's paper was published based on the 2 clinical trials in Hong Kong and China. The participants had chronic, complete injuries. They received escalating dose injections of umbilical cord mononuclear cells into their spinal cords, above and below the injury. In Hong Kong, 8 patients were injected, and the participated in regular physical therapy. Some recovered 1-2 sensory levels of feeling. At a year, some showed growth across their injury site. No other recovery occurred.

At the Kunming Army Hospital, 20 patients received the escalating dose injections and all participated in the intense walking program for 3-6 months. 75% of these patients recovered assisted walking. (Some with rolling/upper body supporting walker, others with 4 point walkers). MRI's of the spinal cord were taken at different time points. At one year, some patients showed growth across the injury site. Also at a year, 60% began to regain bowel and bladder function.

Here's the paper- http://www.ingentaconnect.com/search...ize=10&index=7

Based on these results, this trial is being repeated this year in India, Taiwan, and the US.
                          Last edited by Jim; 1 May 2017, 4:32 PM.

Comment

Jim, do you have any info on when the Taiwan and India trials will start and how many people will be participating in each?

Comment

Another few questions: If the US,Taiwan,India Trials show similar results what are the next steps and what would have to happen so these treatments are available to thousands of people? What would a phase 3 trial consist of? Just more people or other factors? Is there phase 4 or is that looking too far ahead? what does each phase mean exactly?
                              Thanks Jim.

Comment

Jim, do you have any info on when the Taiwan and India trials will start and how many people will be participating in each?
                                India & Taiwan Phase IIb trial- 18 subjects each, 2 groups- Group 1: cord blood injections + intensive walking, Group 2: cord blood + lithium + walking. They will to start this year, Taiwan prob first.

Another few questions: If the US,Taiwan,India Trials show similar results what are the next steps and what would have to happen so these treatments are available to thousands of people? What would a phase 3 trial consist of? Just more people or other factors? Is there phase 4 or is that looking too far ahead? what does each phase mean exactly?
                                Thanks Jim.
                                In the US IIb Trial there will be 27 patients, 3 groups (FDA required a walking group only.) As soon as subjects are chosen, anyone can apply online for Expanded Compassionate Use (also in India.) If granted, person can have the procedure at cost (Estimate $150K- 50 for operation and 3 days of hospitalization, 50 for 6 weeks of outpatient physical rehab, 50 for 3-6 months of intensive walking at a rehab center.)

The IIb trials will tell us whether the treatment is effective, as in the ChinaSCINet the Phase II. It will also tell us if lithium is effective. If it is not, lithium will be dropped from the Phase III Trial. Phase III will consist of 240 patients around the world. If proven to be effective, it will be approved for treatment.

Comment

Working...
                                X