Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aren't there at least a dozen SCI treated so far? Are they allowed to speak publicly about it? It might be helpful if they can come out and show their new functions via a video.
    Last edited by Nowhere Man; 8 Mar 2017, 8:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
      Aren't there at least a dozen SCI treated so far? Is there a gag order on them? It might be helpful if they can come out and show their new functions via a video. If I were an ASIA A (I am) who has regained the ability to walk with b,b,s improvements, I'd be on every news station bragging about the treatment, and showing off my regained functions to the world. Especially when its not just one person who could be misdiagnosed after injury, but 75% of patients.

Jim, I always just assumed that the patients were under some agreement not to talk or go to the media until the trial is complete? Is that the case?
      "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
      Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

I am sure that this has been answered before on here but I forget what was said ...so there was no apparent way to distinguish between why some of the patients that were treated had a better degree of recovery than others?

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
          Jim, I always just assumed that the patients were under some agreement not to talk or go to the media until the trial is complete? Is that the case?
          I know with the trial I'm in they don't like people posting information about it on social media because they had an issue with a participant posting stuff that wasn't true. At first I would often get "in trouble" for taking pictures and videos of what we were doing but now that I've been working with them for so long they are more relaxed about it.
          c6 inc since 2-19-11
          ex pro-am motocross racer
          tilite aero z s2

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
            Aren't there at least a dozen SCI treated so far? Are they allowed to speak publicly about it? It might be helpful if they can come out and show their new functions via a video.
            There were 28 treated in the ChinaSCINet trial. I don't think there are any restrictions on what they can say after the paper was published. When FDA approval is granted, videos may be released and Wise will probably be doing interviews.

I am sure that this has been answered before on here but I forget what was said ...so there was no apparent way to distinguish between why some of the patients that were treated had a better degree of recovery than others?
            In the paper, look at the chart that breaks down the groups and what they received. Everyone in the group that received the max cells alone, all 'walked'. Time after injury, or para/quad designation didn't seem to make a difference. 15/20,75% walking is pretty incredible, but the % could be higher. 3 of the 5 that didn't walk were injured and had to stop training. 2 had leg fractures which old x-rays confirmed were present before the trial, and one had a knee injury. I'm not sure of the details of the 2 that didn't walk, or if they recovered bowel/bladder. Bringing all the subjects back for evaluation at 3 years was not a requirement of the trial, but that is what is being planned.

Comment

This may be a stupid question but i'll ask anyways. What i have read of these results has been mainly of bladder function improvement and walking improvement. Does this mean that the patients gained back all muscle function above the legs also?? ie a c6 complete regaining finger function, trunk function etc etc? Sry if this has been answered but this thread is huge. I will be reading through eventually but for now i am curious and need a shot of hope haha

Comment

Originally posted by greenseed View Post
                This may be a stupid question but i'll ask anyways. What i have read of these results has been mainly of bladder function improvement and walking improvement. Does this mean that the patients gained back all muscle function above the legs also?? ie a c6 complete regaining finger function, trunk function etc etc? Sry if this has been answered but this thread is huge. I will be reading through eventually but for now i am curious and need a shot of hope haha
                The subjects gained back walking, bowel, bladder, and possibly sexual function. All of these functions are programmed into the spinal cord. In order to regain specific muscle function, we believe each muscle must be exercised. In the upcoming trial we will use estim units on the hands. Hopefully that will return finger function.

Comment

I see, that makes sense. So what does the 6 hours of exercise per day entail? btw you seem very knowledgeable on these trials. What connection do you have to them?
                  Thanks Jim.

Comment

they need to invent some e-stim gloves for hand rehab!...if they don't already have them

Comment

Oops a quick Google search revealed that they do have them ...does that sound like a helpful avenue Jim?

Comment

I see, that makes sense. So what does the 6 hours of exercise per day entail? btw you seem very knowledgeable on these trials. What connection do you have to them?
                        Thanks Jim.
                        Good question. Jim, can you post what 666 exercise regimen is. Might be good start those specific exercises while we wait for the trial to start.
                        "I'm manic as hell-
                        But I'm goin' strong-
                        Left my meds on the sink again-
                        My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Comment

i think i found the answer reading through
                          http:///forum/showthread.php?139662-...Update/page101

"The exercise is simple. It is just walking with a rolling support cart for 6 hours a day 6 days a week. They start by standing and progress to stepping with somebody walking behind with ropes to lock the knees during stance phase. Eventually, the person is able to lick their knees by themselves. At some point, the person can use a four point walker, then crutches, and then crane.

They do have exercises for the hands and arms but I don't think that these are as systematic. Every morning, all the patients go through about an hours of calisthenics, with music and a nurse standing in front of all the patients leading the calisthenics.

Dr. Zhu has now moved from the Kunming Army General Hospital to a separate private hospital in Kunming where she will be much better staffed and equipped. In addition, she will be able to take foreign patients for the first time. She just moved and does not yet have the staff to handle a large volume of enquiries. I will post as soon as I know that she is ready to do so.

Wise."

Comment

Thanks Jim.
                            I work for Dr. Young here- http://keck.rutgers.edu/

Oops a quick Google search revealed that they do have them ...does that sound like a helpful avenue Jim?
                            The company who makes them has agreed to donate for trial. Forget the name, from Israel.

[QUOTE=greenseed;1825822]i think i found the answer reading through
                            http:///forum/showthread.php?139662-...Update/page101

I visited the Army Hospital in Kunming several years ago, was able to use the rolling walker.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jim

Comment

I'm just trying to catch up on this tread, could you link the paper please?

also, is there any concern for previous medical conditions? For example, my 18mo old is paralyzed due to neuroblastoma tumour, would that affect eligibility down the road?

Comment

Working...
                                X