Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really sucks not hearing from Dr. Young in quite awhile. Even if its basically the same words, it was nice reading anything he has to say on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrington314mx View Post
      It really sucks not hearing from Dr. Young in quite awhile. Even if its basically the same words, it was nice reading anything he has to say on here.

Yup.
      "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
      Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by Barrington314mx View Post
        Barrington, sorry. Here is an update.

After much discussion and some work, we have decided to go ahead to do phase II trials in U.S./Norway, India, and China. India changed its regulations so that a new organization called Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) will be approving clinical trials. They have given stem cell therapies a high priority and are willing to provide conditional market approval after phase II trials. China published new regulations in April that placed very stringent (tough) requirements for approval of stem cell therapies. Furthermore, it requires a Chinese company to be the sponsor of the trials. So, Stemcyte (the U.S. company donating cells for the trial) has been looking for partners. In the meantime, we are planning to go ahead with phase II trials in China, India, and the U.S.A. These trials have three goals. First, we want to show that intensive 6 hours/day, 6 days/week, and 3-6 month locomotor training is possible outside of Kunming. Second, we want have stronger evidence that lithium may be beneficial when given alongside

In the meantime, we are being helped by PPD, a clinical research organization, paid by Stemcyte. This spring, we trained three universities to process the umbilical cord blood to obtain mononuclear cells for transplantation: Jinan University in Guangzhou, Tongji university in Shanghai, and Xi'an Jiaotong University. We talked to a fourth center in Dahlian last week and will be trying to bring them on board. We are hoping to get provincial approval of the cell processing facilities and apply to the government for permission to do the trial.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
          Barrington, sorry. Here is an update.

First, we want to show that intensive 6 hours/day, 6 days/week, and 3-6 month locomotor training is possible outside of Kunming.
          could you explain this farther? theres a trial to show that training is possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric.S View Post
            could you explain this farther? theres a trial to show that training is possible?
            There has been push back from a lot of hospitals and therapy centers in the US, saying that it would be too expensive (both in terms of money and manpower) to give people with SCI intensive walking training for many hours a day, 6 days per week. I believe there are many things that make this easier to accomplish in China compared to the US, but with the right resources, it should be possible anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsonite View Post
              There has been push back from a lot of hospitals and therapy centers in the US, saying that it would be too expensive (both in terms of money and manpower) to give people with SCI intensive walking training for many hours a day, 6 days per week. I believe there are many things that make this easier to accomplish in China compared to the US, but with the right resources, it should be possible anywhere.
              Have they found that much is needed? does seem like a lot. Wait is this just for the trial, to determine the results in timely fashion? or is this required for anyone who has had the procedure?

Comment

I can't speak to the trials but it took me about 4 months of >2 hours of sci walking training + about 4 hours of reconditioning (stretching, biking, exercise etc) 6 days a week to get me up and walking independently with a walker. Getting that much time was a daily struggle, and it's one of the big arguments for sci specific exercise facilities - being able to use equipment (bikes, recumbent ellipticals, etc) independently made it possible for me to get enough time in. This time around in a non-specific and sci-ignorant facility getting 2 hours of therapy time in is a real struggle, and that's with them counting every transfer, brushing teeth and hair etc as therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by annev308 View Post
                  I can't speak to the trials but it took me about 4 months of >2 hours of sci walking training + about 4 hours of reconditioning (stretching, biking, exercise etc) 6 days a week to get me up and walking independently with a walker. Getting that much time was a daily struggle, and it's one of the big arguments for sci specific exercise facilities - being able to use equipment (bikes, recumbent ellipticals, etc) independently made it possible for me to get enough time in. This time around in a non-specific and sci-ignorant facility getting 2 hours of therapy time in is a real struggle, and that's with them counting every transfer, brushing teeth and hair etc as therapy.
                  whats your level?

Comment

Have they found that much is needed? does seem like a lot. Wait is this just for the trial, to determine the results in timely fashion? or is this required for anyone who has had the procedure?
                    I can't comment on the details of the trial, as I am not involved. As for how much walking training is "needed" - that depends on a million different things and is likely highly individual. If you're asking specifically how much training is needed for a chronic, complete injury who has undergone some kind of regenerative treatment, the truth is that nobody knows. However it is likely that a LOT of training would be needed, at least at first, to get the nervous system to start re-organizing in the right direction.

Comment

whats your level?
                      Original injury T3 incomplete. Detethering ran from T1-6 and I regained sensation and (trace) movement in areas I haven't had since the original injury. Slowness of recovery exacerbated by medical complications, tethering etc. This time facility seems pretty ignorant of SCI.

Comment

When will publish the paper of "CN102b: Phase I/II UCBMC Transplant Trial", "CN102b_KM: UCBMC Transplant with Rehabilitation Trial", "CN102c: Lithium?UCBMC for Acute/Subacute SCI" ?

Comment

These papers are in the process of being published.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                            These papers are in the process of being published.
                            Jim,

What is the hold up on the papers being published? I feel like it's been 2 years since they were first submitted to be published. That seems like an abnormal amount of time, but I'm not in the field.

Papers? How many papers are there?

Comment

I jus hope to god we get some good news cause I'm gettin burned out

Comment

Originally posted by Han Solo View Post
                                I jus hope to god we get some good news cause I'm gettin burned out

Same here, been a long time with no news from any SCI organization or researcher, I am not going to w2w this year but am really looking forward to the updates and blogs
                                "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                                Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Working...
                                X