This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okwjoe View Post
    It has been 10 years since my son was injured and have been on this site since the first week after his injury . As a health care professional myself and well acquainted with academic papers. I have lost count of the number of studies and papers pertaining to spinal cord injury and other nuerological motor diseases which I have read. There are ton of papers and studies actual of human test subjects relating to ALS, MS, Parkinsons, MG, CVA's, brain tumors , head trauma, seizures, and other types of disorders. There but a precious few on spinal cord injuries. I am very frustrated and losing hope on the idea of a cure when a paper which focuses on actual human trials which exhibits effacacy is not beng published and yet ANOTHER RAT TRIAL with promises of " large animal trials in the future" is published in a few months after it's submission. .. Maybe I am paranoid, maybe Big Pharm is behind this to squash a cure becuase they would lose megabucks, or Dr .Young's trial is somehow not being robust enough, or maybe some other sinister plot... sigh.. 10 years my son was 14 when he became a ASIA A 4-5 he is now 24 and is lost his young adulthood and poised to lose even more of adulthood. I was told 5 years there would be a cure in 2004 and 5 years after that. I thank God he is now in Law School and at least his mind is still active. Mabe Dr. Young could shed some light related to the delay or reason no journal has published his paper yet.
    I sympathize with you and your child. I too lost my young adulthood to SCI. I spent years sitting and waiting for something to happen and the only thing that happened was time went on and I didn't. Your son is doing a great thing by getting his degree. It took me ten years to just move on and focus my mind on other things which i regret wasting so much time sitting a hoping. At least now I have a life, not really the life I want but its still better than sitting on pause like I was. You make me think about how my mother must feel and its sad. I'm currently 35 hopefully your son will get to enjoy some of his prime years still as I'm feeling like mine are behind me.

good luck to you,

Comment

There are no patent/copyright issues, the plan is still to begin Phase III in 2015.

Comment

We have submitted the manuscript to several journals and the manuscript has been returned without review, mostly saying that the study is too specialized for their journal. We started submitting in August 2014 (we closed the clinical trial database in May 2014). We are continuing to submit the manuscript to the highest impact journals possible. I hope that we will have good news soon. Wise.

Originally posted by okwjoe View Post
        It has been 10 years since my son was injured and have been on this site since the first week after his injury . As a health care professional myself and well acquainted with academic papers. I have lost count of the number of studies and papers pertaining to spinal cord injury and other nuerological motor diseases which I have read. There are ton of papers and studies actual of human test subjects relating to ALS, MS, Parkinsons, MG, CVA's, brain tumors , head trauma, seizures, and other types of disorders. There but a precious few on spinal cord injuries. I am very frustrated and losing hope on the idea of a cure when a paper which focuses on actual human trials which exhibits effacacy is not beng published and yet ANOTHER RAT TRIAL with promises of " large animal trials in the future" is published in a few months after it's submission. .. Maybe I am paranoid, maybe Big Pharm is behind this to squash a cure becuase they would lose megabucks, or Dr .Young's trial is somehow not being robust enough, or maybe some other sinister plot... sigh.. 10 years my son was 14 when he became a ASIA A 4-5 he is now 24 and is lost his young adulthood and poised to lose even more of adulthood. I was told 5 years there would be a cure in 2004 and 5 years after that. I thank God he is now in Law School and at least his mind is still active. Mabe Dr. Young could shed some light related to the delay or reason no journal has published his paper yet.

Comment

Dr. Wise, thanks for replying. But this is surprising that the journals can reply in sauch a way !! I mean if all the journals will reply in this way then how will new findings be ever published ??
          Isnt it a deadlock- cannot proceed without publishing papers and the journals dnt let publish !
          There must be some way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahul Chavan View Post
            Dr. Wise, thanks for replying. But this is surprising that the journals can reply in sauch a way !! I mean if all the journals will reply in this way then how will new findings be ever published ??
            Isnt it a deadlock- cannot proceed without publishing papers and the journals dnt let publish !
            There must be some way out.
            Very good point
            "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
            ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

Comment

If this study was done in the U.S. it would have already been published. The data is rock solid and the results are highly significant.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                We have submitted the manuscript to several journals and the manuscript has been returned without review, mostly saying that the study is too specialized for their journal. We started submitting in August 2014 (we closed the clinical trial database in May 2014). We are continuing to submit the manuscript to the highest impact journals possible. I hope that we will have good news soon. Wise.
                Too specialized for Neuroscience or Neurotrauma? What do you think about our most recent Nobel Prize winner's thoughts on the "better journals" and how they hold up research and investigator promotions?
                Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 13 Dec 2014, 12:32 AM. Reason: spelling
                Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                  If this study was done in the U.S. it would have already been published. The data is rock solid and the results are highly significant.
                  Wise implied that the study is not being published because it is too specialized. Jim you are stating that it is because it was done outside the US. Which is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Buttabean View Post
                    4)Has there been any studies with healthy humans where they do full body MRI scans with motor and touch exercises and trace the nerve pathways from the foot all the way up to the brain? See how the central pattern generators activate, etc?
                    Well somewhat accordingly theres a kid on here that has been seeing a reflexologist or foot master and feels especially strongly of the fact he had experienced return of both major components after his SCI because of the intricate connections of nerve pathways from the foot...of course he was majorly bashed but stood by his protest..
                    http:///forum/showthread.php?128960-...exology+return
                    Last edited by Stormycoon; 12 Dec 2014, 5:31 PM.
                    I am not your rolling wheels
                    I am the highway
                    I am not your carpet ride
                    I am the sky
                    I am not your blowing wind
                    I am the lightning
                    I am not your autumn moon
                    I am the night, the night..

Comment

We have submitted the manuscript to several journals and the manuscript has been returned without review, mostly saying that the study is too specialized for their journal.
                      Wise

Originally posted by quadfather View Post
                      Wise implied that the study is not being published because it is too specialized. Jim you are stating that it is because it was done outside the US. Which is it?
                      Wise was told what he was told.
                      If the trial was conducted in the U.S. I believe it would already have been accepted, just my opinion.

Comment

what does this mean for the upcoming trials?

Comment

Barrier breaking drug may lead to spinal cord injury treatments : National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) - http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_ev...e_12032014.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Rahul Chavan View Post
                            Barrier breaking drug may lead to spinal cord injury treatments : National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) - http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_ev...e_12032014.htm
                            It's only been done on small animals (rats) and are a very long time away from it being done on humans. How do I define a "long time"? Probably very long lol...

Comment

Wise are you thinking for using IPS cells in lumbosacral model?

Comment

Maybe if a nation like china or another world power published the findings America would wake up to the possibility of being upstaged. How can this process not be seen as broken? If the results are really positive how can the science community just ignore it? I mean how is this rational? Maybe the news media needs to be contacted. they seem to be the only real organization capable of getting things done or bring attention to problems...

Comment

Working...
                                X