no change yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no change yet

If you have any questions you want to ask me about my operation and recovery just post them on this thread. thank you ..!..

Mel- thanks for your help, you're a great person and friend.

RDF- Is Maynard the pet name you were tagged with when you went to San Francisco.hehe

bill

nothing? not even a tingle?

Comment

How long has it been now Bilby...?

Maceyka
      Maceyka

Comment

Hey billy!! Good to see ya again ..!..
        lmao
        I'm glad you're back amongst the living, billy. Melly said your puter was down for awhile. And no, I didn't get maynard in SF, melissa calls me that nonstop, so I figured I could either argue with her forever, and lose in the end anyway, or just give in and live with it, hehe.
        How's your health? Are you back to normal in terms of stamina and whatnot? You did a brave thing billy, we all owe you a debt of gratitude for being one of the first to undergo a trial, for if there wasn't people like you, we'd all be sittin around forever. Thanks buddy.
        -maynard, hehe
        [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] \/ [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

ps. great site Wise, much much better than ole cando, for sure. Thank
        Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
        Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

what about you dmit, any changes in you?

Comment

Bily, it is so great to hear from you!

What is the schedule of your return to the clinical for follow-up examination and MRI? c

Comment

thanks billyd. i hope you're having fun today at the track checking out all the cute girls...hehehe

you're right maynard, you would've lost anyway...lol. you're just lucky maynard is such a chill name.
              Life is a lesson you learn when you're through.

Comment

Great to see you back

are you back to full speed yet? How are they evaluating your progress?

Comment

Maynard- I feel fine now. It took me a couple of weeks to regain my endurance because I spent 10 days in bed without exercise.

Whether I was Brave or stupid all depends on how you view it. I wouldn't recommend anyone else to do it.

Come on, don't hold out on us, you earned your nickname in San Fran.

Dr. Young- I had follow up visits once a week for the first month. Now I go once every month for 6 months. I've had three MRI's so far.

Da- I have chronic pain in my legs, feet and hands, so I have a burning tingle all over. Progress for me would be when I no longer have these sensations.

Mel- Saratoga is wonderful this time of the year, alot of moving scenery.hehe The horses were ok too..!..

Dr. Young can you add one more message icon for me- ..!.. it would save me some time. thank you

bill

Comment

message icons

bilby, I am trying to find out how I can add new icons. It is possible. I am not sure that I understand, however. You would like the exclamation mark with two periods before and two periods after? Wise.

Comment

Hopefully You will start getting some kind of Return

Bilby in time and then feel that it was worth it. Nerves grow at a very slow rate, so it could be six months to a year before there are any noticable gains. In the meantime, I wonder if FES might help you or possibly that new Robot trainer that is now being used? The Robot trainer moves the legs so as to simmulate walking to attempt to retrain the spinal cord, this might be good for you as if there is regeneration going on, it could be enhanced. Talk to you're Doc about these options.
                      "Life is about how you
                      respond to not only the
                      challenges you're dealt but
                      the challenges you seek...If
                      you have no goals, no
                      mountains to climb, your
                      soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Improvement time after stem cell transplant

Curtis, your post raised a very interesting question. When can we expect to see functional return after a stem cell transplant. There are relatively few guides and let me summarize.

John McDonald's study of embryonic stem cell transplants to rats with contusion injury (the cells were transplanted at two weeks after injury) began to show responses within 2-3 weeks after transplant. This was presumably due to remyelination of demyelinated axons at the injury site. In a second study, he showed that the myelination occurred in mice within a few weeks. There is of course the question of rat time versus human time. In general, a rat has four time faster metabolism and growth than humans. So, if we adopt the rule of thumb that a rat month is equal to four months in a human, one might expect remyelination induced return to appear about within four months in people.

Regeneration time, as you say, is much longer. Not only do human axons grow slower than rats but they have much longer to grow. The typical rat spinal cord is about 10 cm in length, compared to 40-50 cm in human. Because both growth rate is slower and distance is longer, one would expect substantially longer recovery periods for axons to grow the entire length of the spinal cord, i.e. 16 times slower in humans compared to rats.

On the other hand, many of the axons don't have to grow that the entire length of the spinal cord. For example, if one is injured in the cervical spinal cord, the distance that sensory axons have to grow is much shorter. Likewise, if one is injured in the lower thoracic cord, the distance that the motor axons have to grow to get to the motoneurons for the legs will be shorter.

In most of the rat experiments where some kind of functional return were observed in rats after treatment with regenerative therapies, it took 2-3 months. Thus, one might expect some recovery in 8-12 months and it should continue for several years.

Wise.

Comment

hi billyd, i'm glad you at least looked at the horses sillyhead.

i think i found something that belongs to you... ...hehehe
                          Life is a lesson you learn when you're through.

Comment

Bilby this might work :thefinger:
                            "I QUESS THEY'LL HAVE TO RUN OUT OF RATS, BEFORE THEY TRY IT OUT IN HUMANS. WAKE ME UP WHEN IT'S OVER !!!"

Comment

Icon

Won't work here [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]
                              "I QUESS THEY'LL HAVE TO RUN OUT OF RATS, BEFORE THEY TRY IT OUT IN HUMANS. WAKE ME UP WHEN IT'S OVER !!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X