No catheter anymore after cell therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No catheter anymore after cell therapy

"It should highlight value any functional neurorestoration which can be gotten today because any little progress in neurorestoratology is not easily gotten; hope to get more tomorrow because many scientists and physicians are dedicating themselves to neurorestoratology."

http://www.nrrfr.com/english_nr.asp?...0Cord%20Injury

Yousif Badour, a 21-year-old Sudan young man, was admitted to this clinic on March 15, 2010, who suffered severe spinal cord injury of thoracic vertebrae due to a wound on October of the year of 2009. He underwent the decompression and dural repair.On this admission, he was able to sit up stably, but he could not stand or walk; he could not take care of himself or control the urination or bowel movement. The catheter is kept been placed.
    ADMISSION DIAGNOSIS: Traumatic chronic spinal cord injury (T11-12 ASIA)

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION: Mental status was normal. There were no abnormal sign in his head. Motor power: The strength was 1 grade bilaterally in hip flexors and knee extensors, the other were 0 grade in lower limbs. Light touch was disappeared at L2 on the right, at the T12 on the left. Pin prick was disappeared at L1 on the right, at the T12 on the left. Abdominal reflex sign was disappeared bilaterally. Babinski sign was negative bilaterally. No anal contraction and sensation was noticed.
    l ASIA motor score was 27 points on the right, 27points on the left.
    lASIA light touch score was 40 points on the right, 36 points on the left.
    lASIA pin prick score was 38 points on the right, 36 points on the left.
    lScore of International Association of Neurorestoratology Spinal Cord Injury Functional Rating Scale was 25 points.
    lScore of WISCI II was 0 point.
    lScore of Barthel Index was 35 points.
    OPERATIVE PROCEDURE: The minimally invasive percutaneous intrathecal (L2-3) implantation of cerebrolysin was done on March 31, 2010, April 6, 2010, April 14, 2010, April 19, 2010 and April 27, 2010.
    The minimally invasive percutaneous intrathecal (T11-12) implantation of embryonic neural stem/progenitor cells (2×106) and umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells (1×107) together with cerebrolysin was done on March 22, 2010.
    The nasal mucosa biopsy was done on March 19, 2010, the intrathecal (T11-12) transplantation of autologous olfactory mucosa ensheathing cells (1×107), olfactory ensheathing cells (1×106) and embryonic neural stem/progenitor cells (2×106), together with cerebrolysinand was done on April 9, 2010.
    The minimally invasive percutaneous intrathecal (T11-12) implantation of Schwann cells (1×106) and embryonic neural stem/progenitor cells (2×106), plus cerebrolysin and Actovegin was done on March 26, 2010.
    The minimally invasive percutaneous intrathecal (T11-12) implantation of Schwann cells (1×106), umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells (1×107) and embryonic neural stem/progenitor cells (2×106), plus cerebrolysin and Actovegin was done on April 20, 2010.

POST-OPERATIVE COURSE: The postoperative course was uneventful. During the admission, the assistant treatments including cycling (30-45mins×10 times), electric stimulation (30mins×40 times), and acupuncture therapy (20min, Qd), standing bed (30mins×10 times), walking with brace and walker (60mins×20 times). At discharge, he can walk with brace and walker; he can better control the activities of his legs and have more capability to take care himself. He can urinate with removal of catheter.
    lASIA motor score was 27 points on the right, 27points on the left.
    lASIA light touch score was 40 points on the right, 37 points on the left.
    lASIA pin prick score was 40 points on the right, 36 points on the left.
    lScore of International Association of Neurorestoratology Spinal Cord Injury Functional Rating Scale was 25 points.
    lScore of WISCI II was 9 points, which increased by 9 points involving aspect of walking with walker and brace without help for 10m.
    lScore of Barthel Index was 60 points, which increased by 25 points involving aspect of controlling bladder, using toilet, transfers, mobility.
    When the patient left this clinic on May 4, 2010, he stated that: “After the treatment, my general condition was better. I could walk with the brace and walker. I could solute the urine timed after the catheter was taken off. I could go to toilet by myself. I could take care of myself and the quality of my life was improved.”

why did he receive all of those different cells? why not just one type? he was a T11/12 incomplete that was less than a year post injury. he is still healing. i think the stem cells may have progressed recovery but i think there is not enough to say it was the SC that caused recovery. i think its wonderful for experimental learning but there are much better therapies put together that havent been put to use yet in humans that should be used. lets get the bowl rolling!

Comment

Originally posted by MValente81807 View Post
      why did he receive all of those different cells? why not just one type? he was a T11/12 incomplete that was less than a year post injury. he is still healing. i think the stem cells may have progressed recovery but i think there is not enough to say it was the SC that caused recovery. i think its wonderful for experimental learning but there are much better therapies put together that havent been put to use yet in humans that should be used. lets get the bowl rolling!

I read he is a complete injury.

BTW, everything was done without surgery right? Just intravenous?

"I could walk with the brace and walker."
      I don't know what they always say things like that, walking with leg braces is NOT walking.
      Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

Think Lisa may hold stock........(insert sarcasm)
        Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

They didn't give him an asia score! Ie a b c or d. At t12 he couldn't take care of himself?! I know guys that are t4 and take care with 0 help!
          c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Comment

let's get the "ball" rolling?
            "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
            Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
              let's get the "ball" rolling?
              hahahahaha wow thanks for that! didnt even realize

Comment

Originally posted by 0xSquidy View Post
                I read he is a complete injury.

BTW, everything was done without surgery right? Just intravenous?

"I could walk with the brace and walker."
                I don't know what they always say things like that, walking with leg braces is NOT walking.
                it is for me. not pretty, but its something. no cathing would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                  it is for me. not pretty, but its something. no cathing would be nice.
                  agreed. getting around without a chair with wheels would improve my life. and no cath's would be just as nice...

Comment

Sure, i'd kill for my bladder too.
                    What injury you have Eric.S?
                    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

Originally posted by 0xSquidy View Post
                      Sure, i'd kill for my bladder too.
                      What injury you have Eric.S?
                      I'm a T-6..

Comment

Originally posted by Eric.S View Post
                        I'm a T-6..
                        "It should highlight value any functional neurorestoration which can be gotten today because any little progress in neurorestoratology is not easily gotten; hope to get more tomorrow because many scientists and physicians are dedicating themselves to neurorestoratology."

This man has more luck than others. At least there is possibility to improve life. Walk is the final goal. But how long it will take to reach the goal? Will be happy if get small improvements step by step. Everyday is new. The important thing is hope.

Comment

i just would be happy to sweat again.
                          Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Comment

Sometimes I sweat like crazy. I mean drenched. Usually night sweats
                            "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                            Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

If therapy works then what is wrong in it

Comment

Working...
                              X