No announcement yet.

A Night with Dr. Hans Keirstead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't you people remember any of the discussions on this board?

The "Chronic's will be forgotten subject" has been hashed over several times. The Geron therapy is only for acutes and won't work on chronic's, we already knew that.

I don't believe every injury new will benefit from Geron's treatment even if it does prove sucessful. Some injuries will either be too severe or possibly in a country where it's not avalible, that means there will still be new Chronic's and the need for Chronic therapies.

It's also has been discussed for some time that it will be a combination of therapeis that will lead to recovery, not one magic pill. That's why the work of people like Dr. Young, Dr. Kierstead, Dr. Davies and others is so important, and they are all working on Chronic therapies as far as I know.

It's my hope that the Geron trial is a success so more people don't have to suffer with paralysis like you all have and also to show the world this injury can be fixed creating a situation where more researchers and money comes to your aid. Not to mention proving human embryonic stem cells are useful in medicine and safe.

Comment

OK, Rjames, it is time for you to wake up.

'Dont you people', 'so more people dont have to suffer with paralysis like you all', 'come to your aid'.

Not sure who you think you are, but you may want to tone down a bit. And are you not in the same boat as most others on this board?

Most people on this board are on the edge of their seats waiting and waiting for that little bit of hope. Your words and post are not reallly needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastiang View Post
        OK, Rjames, it is time for you to wake up.

'Dont you people', 'so more people dont have to suffer with paralysis like you all', 'come to your aid'.

Not sure who you think you are, but you may want to tone down a bit. And are you not in the same boat as most others on this board?

Most people on this board are on the edge of their seats waiting and waiting for that little bit of hope. Your words and post are not reallly needed.

My son is an SCI, I spend every waking moment trying to figure out how to help the research cause, Have fundraised over $200k so far, my phone is on 24/7 to talk to newly injured people about rehabilitation and treatments that aren't here. I feel I have every right to speak my mind.

Comment

Easy sebastion, rjames has every right, as do you, to offer his perspective and opinion. Hope is a very sensitive subject. And the realities of the application of cure-based procedures for SCI, acutes and chronics, is complicated on many fronts. If you fight this battle for a while, from the trenches, your education expands, reality tempers urgency, politics, funding, collaboration, and collective focus also become challenges and are also thrown into the mix. It's just not that easy, unfortunately. Painful realization, yes. Necessary perspective, yes. We never give up fighting for the cure but more of us need to understand the playing field, mission and opportunities. Simply turning a blind eye to all of the issues surrounding a cure doesn't make them go away. Different perspectives are healthy. Open dialogue and communication, very healthy.

Onward and upward.

Chris

Comment

Still havent heard how the presentation from Dr Keirstead went?

Comment

I was not in Santa Barbara but found and copied this article as an update to Dr. Keirstead's work. I chose this particular article because it mentions CHRONIC SCI and Polio.

Btw, note the money that the small SMA population has raised recently for Dr. Keirstead. I really think that we can do better...

Dr. Hans Keirstead's Motor Neuron Replacement Program - $60,000 Award

GSF's $60,000 award to Dr. Hans Keirstead at University of California, Irvine will be used exclusively to fully fund critical experiments requested by the Federal Drug Administration, which will enable the human clinical trial for this promising stem-cell based motor neuron replacement program. Dr. Keirstead's program will initially focus on SMA Type I, the most severe form of the disease, but the pre-clinical and clinical data will be directly relevant to SMA Type II and III, ALS-Lou Gehrig's disease, chronic spinal cord injury, and polio, all of which are characterized by motor neuron loss.

"We are forever grateful to the SMA community for their support in helping us move our discoveries from the bench to the bedside," said Dr. Hans Keirstead, Associate Professor at the Reeve-Irvine Research Center. "Together, we have pioneered a first for SMA, and for the stem cell field."

This most recent $60,000 award is in addition to over $170,000 GSF and its programs have donated in support of Dr. Keirstead's research over the past 12 months.

About Gwendolyn Strong Foundation (GSF) - GSF is 501(c)(3) public charity based in Santa Barbara, California dedicated to increasing global awareness of Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), the #1 genetic killer of infants and young children, and accelerating research toward a cure. To learn more about SMA and GSF, please visit http://GwendolynStrongFoundation.org or contact GSF at (805) 679-1679.

PR courtesy of Online PR News: http://www.onlineprnews.com

Media Contact:
              Victoria Strong
              (805) 679-1679
              http://GwendolynStrongFoundation.org
              victoria@GwendolynStrongFoundation.org
              image ad
              Presswire

FULL ARTICLE:
              http://www.einpresswire.com/article/...herapy-program
              Karen M
              C 3/4 inc. central cord
              10/29/1992 - 18 years, but who counts?

Comment

I moved a number of argumentative posts that are not relevant to this topic to
                /forum/showthread.php?t=136433

Wise.

Comment

has anyone got any updates on Dr. Hans Keirstead research and his tems human trials.

Comment

Working...
                  X