Ampyra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra?

So with seeing that 4-ap is now ampyra and now FDA approved and ready for market in the near future. I started looking into cost. From what I can find, its looking like $1,000 US a month. I tried 4-ap a few years ago and was paying for it out of pocket, and I was thinking it was around $200 a month. Seems like a huge jump in price. Do insurance companies really cover stuff that high? And if it is designated for MS, will insurance cover it if your doctor writes you a sript for it and you don't have MS, but for incomplete sci?

Acorda has a help Line to assist people with these insurance questions.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Well, just an update. I have pretty minimal insurance. And I am pretty sure they wont cover this. But, I did call the ampyra call line today. They said that they wont help with cost if you don't have MS.

Comment

I can see none of us are going to be able to access ampyra ... what a disappointment.
        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Even those with MS are having a hard time, Davids dr. doesn't want to prescribe it for 6 months. He wants to wait to see the outcome from other drs. WTF - why do clinical trials. And then he says our ins. won't pay for new medications until they have been out for 6 months. We have an appointment next friday and hopefully get this straightened out. I have a call into insurance and Ampyra.

Comment

This had better be a time when Transverse Myelitis works to my advantage ... since it's like a 'singular episode' of MS.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I started Ampyra 3 days ago -- haven't noticed any changes yet!

After a slew of phone calls my insurance company approved it (I have a spinal cord injury) and co-pay is only $30/month.

I will post any news!

Comment

Originally posted by Katsune View Post
                I started Ampyra 3 days ago -- haven't noticed any changes yet!

After a slew of phone calls my insurance company approved it (I have a spinal cord injury) and co-pay is only $30/month.

I will post any news!
                What insurance do you have ?

Comment

We are able to get Ampyra through Medco with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Copay is $30.
                  We've been using compounded 4ap through Colorado Pharmacy. The Ampyra is really terrific compared to the compounded formula. Results have been super!
                  http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
                    WTF - why do clinical trials. And then he says our ins. won't pay for new medications until they have been out for 6 months.
                    MSIFE1 - It's an example of common two-tier medicine.

Comment

Yea I know Wilfried but its still annoying.

We did end up getting Ampyra from Acorda Theraputics free for a year since insurance wouldn't pay, he has been on it since sometime around May I think. Got alot of return back quickly, everything is moving now its just up to him to rebuild muscle, which will be another long journey but he has been in a chair with no movement for 5 years.

So glad you are seeeing results too Grammy!

Comment

@Grammy - would love to hear more details about your experience with 4-AP.

Comment

Fly, I'm taking 4ap and have not noticed any improvement avter 6 weeks. I knwo 2 people who have ms and have shown improvement. that's what I know of the pill. I was told that improvement can be shown for aobut 6 months, so I will continue to take the pill.

Keeping on

Comment

Ampyra a Scam like Other FDA approved Drugs

Originally posted by keeping on View Post
                            Fly, I'm taking 4ap and have not noticed any improvement avter 6 weeks. I knwo 2 people who have ms and have shown improvement. that's what I know of the pill. I was told that improvement can be shown for aobut 6 months, so I will continue to take the pill.

Keeping on
                            Keeping on, Ampyra is a scam. Yes it's ironic how scams CAN be perpetrated by institutions like FDA, and doctors we trust. Often advocates/fans for certain doctors and/or marginal treatments are to blame:

Ampyra at a cost of 15,000 a year is a rip off no better than the treatments many here complain about.

Yes, because it is FDA approved insurance might pay for it, but that doesn't mean it works!

What had happened with the fda and ampyra was that the fda did not think it should be approved at first, however a patient group the ms society which also funded the trial persuaded the fda to approve it. I hope carecure fans aren't going to push for other treatments that will never amount to anything really usable or anything close to a cure just because it is going through regular channels, because it’s a feel good diversion from good science.

5.1 Statistical Issues and Collective Evidence

The main issues of this submission are the unconventional approach in establishing efficacy and the small treatment difference in walking speed.
                            The walking speed improvement from Visit 2 to Visit 6 was 0.05 (F203) and 0.11 (F204) ft/sec for placebo group and 0.21 (F203) and 0.22 (F204) ft/sec for Famrpidine-SR group.

The improvement translated to up to 0.5 second for placebo group and 1 second for Fampridine-SR group in the time improvement for the 25-foot walking test.

5.2 Conclusions and Recommendations

The two pivotal studies have met the primary objectives by achieving statistically significant difference in the 3-step primary analysis. The traditional analysis of change from baseline in walking speed has also showed treatment difference between the Fampridine-SR group and the placebo group. However, the treatment difference, although in favor of Fampridine-SR treatment, is so small.

Given the safety concern, (discussed in Dr. Boehm’s and Dr. Illoh’s reviews) the clinical value of such difference becomes a question.

Seems to me that people right here in the US, Big Pharma and the reaseachers associated with ampyra ( extended release 4ap) are scamming the desperate under cover of law, similar to what you all complain X-Cell is doing!!!

What had happened with the fda and ampyra was that the fda did not think it should be approved at first, however a patient group the ms society which also funded the trial persuaded the fda to approve it. I hope Carecure will not fall into that trap with other questionable treatments that though they appear to go through regular channels will not amount to a hill of beans!

Here is an article explaining the junk that comes through the FDA:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_795499.html
                            "it is not necessary to hope in order to persevere" ~ William of Orange

Comment

pro, wise said it helps some and maybe me. I know 2 people taking it that have ms and both ahve shown improvement. I've had no improvement. Keep you abreast.

keeping on

Comment

Working...
                              X