No announcement yet.

Thank you, Canada!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that the momentum is shifting and more and more are joining. Partly due to this forum; I see more proactive responses from board members and results coming from credible sources on findings in the field seems good. i suggest we find out what Congress is doing. When I spoke with Harkin's office, they did say that funding was increaed to NIH. What does that mean; hell I don't know. We must keep the pressure on as you say and report to each other what we're finding. Finally, good luck to Wise in his efforts and let's get going on some cureative results.

Comment

In the first few years after joining the SCI club, every time I read about a research breakthrough it felt as if the cure was imminent. In that frame of mind it does become dispiriting and the rate of progress can seem negligible; news of research does not fill me with the same sense of an imminent cure anymore but I do feel more strongly that we are reaching the stage, with so many different lines of promising research, where we have put enough of the jigsaw puzzle pieces in place that the picture is becoming recognisable and rate of progress is accelerating. There are a lot of pieces left to put in place and it will take time, money and trial and error to get them in the right places. We have to understand that error is an inevitable part of trial and error and not to despair everytime there is a set back. I still believe that a cure is inevitable and am thankful that there are researchers who are prepared to play the long game instead of conceding defeat when they encounter problems with one line of research.

Comment

Originally posted by keeping on View Post
        I believe that the momentum is shifting and more and more are joining. Partly due to this forum; I see more proactive responses from board members and results coming from credible sources on findings in the field seems good. i suggest we find out what Congress is doing. When I spoke with Harkin's office, they did say that funding was increaed to NIH. What does that mean; hell I don't know. We must keep the pressure on as you say and report to each other what we're finding. Finally, good luck to Wise in his efforts and let's get going on some cureative results.
        funding nih does not mean nih will then fund sci clinicial trials. go to the cancer site and see if they are asking for more nih funding, no they are asking for more cancer funding. we should demand more sci cure funding, not nih. lets stop this mistake we have been making for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by DA View Post
          feels like im reading the saddest story ever. your brother died, and your mom has cancer, and your uncle is missing, cousin joe just got life in prison, and your kids dropped out of school, and your daughter is pregnant but she dont know who the daddy is, and your dog is dying....
          embrace SCI DA. Stop the self-loathing. You're not getting any younger.

Comment

DA makes a valid point that the SCI community can advocate for an increased share of the NIH budget going to SCI research. Asking for targeted funding would require supporting the earmarks that many have demonized. But if you want a bigger slice of a bigger government pie... that's how it works.
            Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Working...
            X