Next Year ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next Year ?

2010 is almost here. No break through treatment for chronics still. Maybe next year. That's all I have to say about that.

no no no... It's "5" more years. Get it right. Geesh!
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

it's so disheartening another year goes by.

Comment

Look at the bright side! We are now a year closer to actually being 5 years away!

Comment

I would be surprised if any cell treatment was developed for chronics until well after 2020*. The Geron OPC1 cells will most likely be refined and will become the platform to add drug combination's. By then, Geron may have been bought by a larger company. I don't foresee any other cells currently known providing any measurable return.

Gerons cells have been frozen, just waiting in Menlo Park, CA since 2006. There is simply no outrage, no immediacy.

* I would like to be proven wrong.

Comment

I've come to realize that I will live this life without "cure". But many here will benefit from products of science that provide meaningful increases in function. In my life I've seen so many "miracles" happen that few could have even dreamed. What was once science fantasy is now commonplace. Don't wait for the "cure" to live your life, but never forget that it will come. Once the first "real" therapies are developed, the progress will accelerate and grow like a snowball rolling downhill. Keep the faith, and keep in shape mentally and physically.
            Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
              I've come to realize that I will live this life without "cure". But many here will benefit from products of science that provide meaningful increases in function. Don't wait for the "cure" to live your life, but never forget that it will come.
              FO, I love your wisdom with words!

This sums up how I feel. The cure will come & many here will reap the benefits, ones with function, newer injuries. I just don't see it coming my way & I'm a bit over 3 years post. I wish & pray it will come, but I can't & won't wait on it for myself. Call me negative but I don't see chronics without current function as fixable.

Comment

I think acutes will benefit in the next 5 years - Cethrin is a good example - but I fear that chronic SCI will end up like chronic polio.

Once we can effectively treat most new injuries, we chronics will be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeky View Post
                  2010 is almost here. No break through treatment for chronics still. Maybe next year. That's all I have to say about that.
                  There's too much research going on to say one way or the other.
                  However, I don't believe that our nation will produce a therapy.
                  Politics and the economy won't allow the research to move forward.

Comment

Honestly we don't have enough Schmekies. Just schmuckies!

Imagine being a scientist and having to stare into the eyes of someone sitting for 1+, 5+, 10+, 20+ yrs and explain why reversal of paralysis isn't here yet ... knowing it might not be in your lifetime ... or theirs.

Well that was depressing.

So the point is that what we have been doing isn't working up to this point. How can we be more pro-active?

Socially the disabled have made quite a few strides in the past twenty years ... that is something.
                    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                      Honestly we don't have enough Schmekies. Just schmuckies!

Imagine being a scientist and having to stare into the eyes of someone sitting for 1+, 5+, 10+, 20+ yrs and explain why reversal of paralysis isn't here yet ... knowing it might not be in your lifetime ... or theirs.

Well that was depressing.

So the point is that what we have been doing isn't working up to this point. How can we be more pro-active?
                      I agree with this one. We aren't prioritized. Going to the moon, expensive elections & filling the pockets of superstars are much more important.

Comment

Foolish has my sentiments down to the 'T'.
                        Rick Goldstein
                        GO! Mobility Solutions
                        facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by quad79 View Post
                          Call me negative but I don't see chronics without current function as fixable.
                          I say this based only on the lack of therapy we're allowed to maintain things like muscle mass, have access to equipment most can't afford & insurance companies don't want to help provide. How can you possibly learn to walk again when your calves are smaller than your ankles & your legs will literally cave upon standing.

Hopefully this world will get its act together so chronic sci's will be a thing of the past. I know I want to see that day come.

Comment

I confidently predict that next year a treatment will show very good recovery in an animal model, with trials hopefully not long to go after that...my opinion though

Comment

Originally posted by quad79 View Post
                              Call me negative but I don't see chronics without current function as fixable.
                              I think bladder/bowel/sexual function is do-able. We could sit here and talk conjecture all day though ... I haven't been to a lab. Schmeky has. JenJen has. Maybe if more of us did ... ? I'm guilty too ... and I haven't done much for 'the cause' for the past two years as I was dealing with illness and loss.

Just think if we could get one of the big Hollywood film companies to donate 1% of what they make each year to spinal cord injuries ... on a class action lawsuit regarding seating at local movie theatres (just throwing that out there) ... or lack of actual disabled people in media (just throwing that out there too as there was a big tadoo about Helen Keller being portrayed by an able bodied actor - it's in development).

Just think - that stupid sparkley vampire movie raked in over $258.8 mill worldwide ... and it's still counting (not including dvd sales and rentals).

And even more off-topic because I'm curious ... besides Roosevelt ... are there any paralyzed politicians in the States at all or in other countries for that matter? Canada had 2 well known ... the former mayor of Vancouver and the Conservative Health Critic in Alberta ... just wondering if there are others?
                              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                              X