Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damaged nerve fibers in spinal cord injuries could be repaired using nano-spheres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damaged nerve fibers in spinal cord injuries could be repaired using nano-spheres

Latest research at Purdue University has developed a new approach for repairing damaged nerve fibers in spinal cord injuries using nano-spheres that could be injected into the blood shortly after an accident.

Read more

Well. What are we waiting for?????????

Comment

November 09, 2009
      Advances on Many Fronts to Spinal Cord Injury Repair

read article:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/11/adv...inal-cord.html

Comment

"that can be injected SHORTLY after the accident "... Another acute thing.... JACKPOT!
        "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
        Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Could this one day be used to help rats with SCI?

Comment

Originally posted by foffana View Post
            Latest research at Purdue University has developed a new approach for repairing damaged nerve fibers in spinal cord injuries using nano-spheres that could be injected into the blood shortly after an accident.

Read more
            The research being described here is more than just about treating acute spinal cord injury. The scientists have Purdue have discovered a new method of delivering drugs, proteins, and other materials to the injured spinal cord. They used spinal cord injury as the model with which to demonstrate their technique. It doesn't mean that it has to be restricted to acute spinal cord injury? Nor does it mean that all acute spinal cord injury research is automatically not useful to people with chronic spinal cord injury.

Wise.

Comment

Yeah! (for real, no sarcasm)
              Now how do we get this on your desk?
              please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                The research being described here is more than just about treating acute spinal cord injury. The scientists have Purdue have discovered a new method of delivering drugs, proteins, and other materials to the injured spinal cord. They used spinal cord injury as the model with which to demonstrate their technique. It doesn't mean that it has to be restricted to acute spinal cord injury? Nor does it mean that all acute spinal cord injury research is automatically not useful to people with chronic spinal cord injury.

Wise.
                it may not be necessarry in treating acutes only, but it is. acute gets everything.

Comment

When I was a new injury, I was much acuter then I am now.

Comment

Originally posted by boda View Post

Comment

Originally posted by DA View Post
                      it may not be necessarry in treating acutes only, but it is. acute gets everything.
                      No one is getting anything.

Comment

Originally posted by boda View Post
                        - funniest remark I've read in here! - thank you boda.
                        "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
                        Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Scientists Devise Early Treatment for Spine Injury

Scientists Devise Early Treatment for Spine Injury

Monday, November 9, 2009 9:15 AM

Article Font Size

CHICAGO - Injecting tiny polymer spheres into rats right after a spinal cord injury helped the animals recover movement and prevented secondary nerve damage that often follows such injuries, U.S. researchers said on Sunday.

The experimental treatment uses spheres called copolymer micelles that fuse with injured nerve fibers and prevent inflammation from doing more damage to surrounding nerves.

"What we did here was we invented a method to treat the spinal injury at the early stage," said Ji-Xin Cheng of Purdue University in Indiana, whose study appears in the journal Nature Nanomedicine.

Copolymer micelles, roughly 100 times smaller than the diameter of a red blood cell, have been used in research for three decades as a drug-delivery vehicle.

more...

http://www.newsmax.com/science/spine...09/283551.html

Comment

Working...
                          X