Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why test rats, when we should test primates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure I am probably going to get some flack for saying this, but personally speaking I do not want the cure to come at the cost of paralyzing primates for research. They think, they feel, they have emotions, and most of all, they can suffer the same as the rest of us. Too high an ethical price for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
      I am sure I am probably going to get some flack for saying this, but personally speaking I do not want the cure to come at the cost of paralyzing primates for research. They think, they feel, they have emotions, and most of all, they can suffer the same as the rest of us. Too high an ethical price for me.
      Add me to the flack line. My feelings are identical.

Comment

Why maim and study healthy primates when there are so many SCIed humans who are so eager to become test subjects that they pay small fortunes to mercenary quacks for fake treatments that improve nothing and provide no data?

Besides, politicians are the test animal of the future. Politicians are more numerous than lab rats, the scientists don't have the same affection for the politicians as they do for the rats, and there are some things that rats will refuse to do for reasons of conscience.
        Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
          Don't rats, dogs, cats and pigs think, feel and suffer?
          Studies show that pigs are highly intelligent, perhaps as smart as primates. They demonstrate similar social behaviors.They just don't look as much like us as primates do.

Moral relativism is a bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian View Post
            It is evident that monkeys are more similar to humans than rats are but that should not disguise the fact that at the fundamental, cell biology level, rats and humas are very, very similar.
            yes this, also using rats and mice is affordable, you can have a larger number of test subjects, and especially with cancer research and stem cell, and genetics, the more rapid lifespan of the rats and mice compared to primates. makes rats and mice better for research.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
              yes this, also using rats and mice is affordable, you can have a larger number of test subjects, and especially with cancer research and stem cell, and genetics, the more rapid lifespan of the rats and mice compared to primates. makes rats and mice better for research.
              Appently, you didn't read my last post.
              Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
              CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Comment

Originally posted by KofQ View Post
                Don't rats, dogs, cats and pigs think, feel and suffer?
                Studies show that pigs are highly intelligent, perhaps as smart as primates. They demonstrate similar social behaviors.They just don't look as much like us as primates do.

Moral relativism is a bitch.
                There is no ethical relativism from my side, as I am opposed to the use of ALL animals in medical research. The question of the thread was about primates, and I responded to that question. I'm sure I am in the minority with this stance, but I can live with it and have a clean conscience too. If you haven't read it I can recommend the book 'When Elephants Cry' an excellent exploration into the inner lives of animals.

Comment

One other point... the OP and others are assuming the primates SCI model is closer to human than rat or cat... but is that really the case? I can think of several proteins that are just as similar to our own in both rats and primates. On a molecular level, there is not much of an argument for primates over rats.. on an anatomical scale there may be, but as far as I know, there is no proof of that.... nerves grow the same way, just over longer distances.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie View Post
                    Appently, you didn't read my last post.
                    no I dont see it, but did not see Dr wise had replied as well.
                    is there something wrong with my post? if so sorry.

Comment

Working...
                    X