• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consider Changing:
    "sexual function"
    to--> "Reproductive Functions"

"make life a battle for survival." to-->
    "make life a day to day battle of / for survival." --> "make life a daily battle of survival."
    "constitute's life as a daily struggle of survival"

Adding Cause's (So people will better understand how easily,suddenly and unexpectedly SCI effects people)
    "2.5 million people worldwide are victims of a spinal cord injury, with well over 130,000 new cases added every year."

Currently over 2.5 million people worldwide suffer from spinal cord injury's."Causes Range from Motor Vehicle Collision's, De generative Ailments, Infections to Simple Slip and Falls. Such consideration's account for an additional 130,000 new Spinal cord Injury cases every year."

Better Emphasize/Elaborate how life Altering and living with SCI can be.
    "The Inability to Perform simple life functions such as, <etc. etc.> "which most take for granted, is a devastating reality for SCI suffers.

Add a Thesis/Conclusion.
    Spinal Cord Injury silently plagues masses with indescribable suffering. The General public is naive of these daily struggles, in which many more will face. We now have the scientific ability to end it. Support of Biotech research not only will aid those currently afflicted with Spinal Cord injuries and Like Neropathic? ailments, but one day will benefit you...

GL, Remember... above all else, This is an Advertisement, write it as such..
    Last edited by patricks; 15 Dec 2008, 9:43 PM.
    Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
    "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
    ====================
    If you stare long enough,
    I may do a Trick....

Comment

When I signed the petition it offered me the chance to send a link to everyone my address book but also told me the tool was not currently functional. Anyone know how to get back to that page?
      My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Great going so far, but I think the global figures should be looked into. Over 3 million individuals directly involved, I would think (look into non-traumatic too). By using US and Europe figures and some other figures from other places based upon countries demographic and population... Then considering next of kin and supporting services like health care, PA and family involved the figures would be around 25 million indirectly for SCI, the same number as all ppl living in the Nordic countries overall (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Finland). Thus human cost and social costs money wise would be a direct cost and involve much more then the SCI individual itself. UN for example estimated a time ago that over 300 million had directly serious neurological injuries in this world, including SCI, which is not so a small part of it after all given the above, but then use the same assistant figures/math as above on SCI one could have a figure like 2,5 billion ppl involved with serious neurological injuries, one way or the other, like mentioned above, next of kin, PT and so on.

Comment

And some should make the facebook and petition signing website links sticky on top of the cure forum. Steven?

Comment

Leif,
            you're right about the figures - the ones quoted are conservative estimates to say the least, and are not current but they are at least 'official'. While the site is busy I'll leave them as they are, but I will go back into the text and make some changes/additions - maybe next week.

I'm reading some of the comments on the petition site and to be honest find myself close to tears. Knowing that this is just the tip of the iceberg - we just have to make this work.

Here are a selection of the comments:

"I have been paraplegic for six years and I really would not wish this on my worst enemy. I often go to sleep hoping I will be delivered from the prison my body has become. The neuropathic pain I feel is constant and indescribable. Like fellow SCI people, I see my body gradually deteriorating and there is little to nothing I can do. I feel helpless. Please help us, promote research to help millions of suffering individuals get well."

"My beautiful little boy suffered brainstem infarction after undergoing a LP to diagnose meningitis, he is now in a wheelchair and permanently on a ventilator. He is only six years old. I want to know that everything is being done out there to find treatments for these untreatable conditions. I want to wake up every morning with hope."

"My son is a 24 yr. old quad. Injured 4 yrs ago. His life has been ripped out from underneath him due to this injury. NOTHING is the same. To be confined to a wheelchair is worse than death for him and for many young people who have suffered a sci. NO ONE, except those directly affected by sci, have any clue as to the heartbreak that this injury inflicts. My son is moving forward with his life, however, he truly wishes he had not survived his accident."

"I myself am a paraplegic of three and a half years due to an accident that could happen to anybody, could happen to your child, sister, brother mother, father, ... I think you get the picture. The happy picture of the disabled life that the public usually gets to see is one of happy paralympians winning medals and people being engaged in all manner of disabled sports, disabled this and disabled that and that we are really not any different from able bodied people. BUT THE PAINFUL TRUTH IS: WE ARE DIFFERENT. Our lives are not, I REPEAT: NOT THE SAME. I should know; I have been on both sides of the divide. I have lost two very dear friends (both paraplegics) who have committed suicide because they could not deal with the pain (both physical and otherwise) the huge sense of loss and the bouts of depression any more. Matt and Clayton, this letter and signature are dedicated to your memory. It is high time the worldwide media stopped telling what I would call "THE BIG LIE" by highlighting the "sexy" parts of the disabled life and completely ignoring the dark, ugly, debilitating underbelly of the disabled lifestyle that includes such unpleasant things as depression, infections, skin break down, a diminished social life, social isolation, bowl and bladder movements "gone wrong". I could go on and on and on. I would urge all of you to sign this petition if you suffer from paralysis or have a friend or family that does; or simply because you feel it's the right thing to do and freedom from paralysis is a human rights issue. Thank you."

Comment

Yes, I’ve been reading too Barbara. Hope the effort will work. Great job.

… I would urge all of you to sign this petition if you suffer from paralysis or have a friend or family that does; or simply because you feel it's the right thing to do and freedom from paralysis is a human rights issue. Thank you."

Jurgen is 100% right!!!

Comment

Barbara,
                I posted the petition request and link to the petition on our national SCI website www.lars.no Click Signaturer for ryggmargsskadeforskning”.

Comment

I really like your new signature Leif!
                  "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
                  Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Originally posted by patricks View Post
                    Consider Changing:
                    "sexual function"
                    to--> "Reproductive Functions"

"make life a battle for survival." to-->
                    "make life a day to day battle of / for survival." --> "make life a daily battle of survival."
                    "constitute's life as a daily struggle of survival"

Adding Cause's (So people will better understand how easily,suddenly and unexpectedly SCI effects people)
                    "2.5 million people worldwide are victims of a spinal cord injury, with well over 130,000 new cases added every year."

Currently over 2.5 million people worldwide suffer from spinal cord injury's."Causes Range from Motor Vehicle Collision's, De generative Ailments, Infections to Simple Slip and Falls. Such consideration's account for an additional 130,000 new Spinal cord Injury cases every year."

Better Emphasize/Elaborate how life Altering and living with SCI can be.
                    "The Inability to Perform simple life functions such as, <etc. etc.> "which most take for granted, is a devastating reality for SCI suffers.

Add a Thesis/Conclusion.
                    Spinal Cord Injury silently plagues masses with indescribable suffering. The General public is naive of these daily struggles, in which many more will face. We now have the scientific ability to end it. Support of Biotech research not only will aid those currently afflicted with Spinal Cord injuries and Like Neropathic? ailments, but one day will benefit you...

GL, Remember... above all else, This is an Advertisement, write it as such..
                    Patrick,

I like the way you analize the text as I graduate in Scienze of Communication. I think your suggestions should be considered.
                    I am sure you understand that here we have a multicultural public, which complicate a little the problem

Paolo
                    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by topperf View Post
                      I really like your new signature Leif!
                      Thanks, go ahead and use it, the signature is from Jurgens post.

But I can se many from Denmark have signed the petition, which is great, but be aware topperf; we have started a campaign to beat the Kingdom of Denmark!

Comment

I've submitted a web press release which should come out later today. I also have it on Digg so if you are someone who knows how to "Digg it", you'll find their logo on the petition site.

I too agree on some of Patrick's suggestions and have put in a couple of the smaller ones into the press release text. I'll make adjustments to the original text maybe next week in case there are more suggestions in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Leif View Post
                          Thanks, go ahead and use it, the signature is from Jurgens post.

But I can se many from Denmark have signed the petition, which is great, but be aware topperf; we have started a campaign to beat the Kingdom of Denmark!
                          You will have to move swift my friend - cause I'm only just starting up and as you already mentioned - it shows!

Btw @ patricks - reproductive function is way less understandable than sexual function!

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
                          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Originally posted by topperf View Post
                            You will have to move swift my friend - cause I'm only just starting up and as you already mentioned - it shows!

Btw @ patricks - reproductive function is way less understandable than sexual function!
                            Competition is great; we like that, especially since we will beat you

Were planning to activate our handball women team too, and as you know they beat Denmark in the European championship lately like nothing, you remember that, don’t you?

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/signatures-for-spinal-cord-research

To be more serious though. I know the person signed in on post #449. He is a renowned professor from over here in hand/arm tendon/muscle surgery for cervical injured spinal cord injured persons, from one of our biggest university hospitals. It is great to see so-called “conservative clinicians” too, signing on this petition for spinal cord research. It’s very good to see.

PS. I doubt that much will have to be altered on the original petition text, this seems to be flying well. Just concentrate on spreading the word.

And make this a competition, like which country will have most signatures in percent of the population. Are you in folks!
                            Last edited by Leif; 16 Dec 2008, 1:00 PM.

Comment

I'm in Leif - and congratulations on the European championship! (3 in a row ... I know )

Comment

Thank you Carbar,Toppert and everyone else involved! Just found out about it yesterday, we're signed on, #454. Lets keep it going! K004H

Brrraaapppp!

Comment

Working...
                                X