Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

collaboratiion is great!! Errrr would be... Is... Would... Is
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
      Pierre,

Thank you so much for your post. My memory fail me but I seem to remember having talked to people about neurogel when I was at NYU Medical Center (where I was from 1977 to 1997). I had helped found Acorda in 1995 with Ron Cohen. In those days, Acorda had no money (in fact, one could characterize it as a money sink) and therefore was in no condition to take on the challenge to developing Neurogel. I am also sorry for implying that Dr. Woerly has retired from science.

We are currently evaluating a variety of materials to hold cells for transplantation. I would be glad to include neurogel in the experiments.

Wise.
      It might be very hard to decide what material to use in a trial when every day new discoveries appear that are potentialy useful but change the strategy of a trial from scrap and if you decide to try them all the trial must be rearranged.
      Is there any virtual spine cord where it can be simulated the scenario of the different approaches to a posible candidate to a cure?

Comment

Originally posted by KIM View Post
        It might be very hard to decide what material to use in a trial when every day new discoveries appear that are potentialy useful but change the strategy of a trial from scrap and if you decide to try them all the trial must be rearranged.
        Is there any virtual spine cord where it can be simulated the scenario of the different approaches to a posible candidate to a cure?
        There is of course in vitro (in a dish) models but the proof has to be in the pudding. The biomaterial that one uses to bridge the spinal cord must be supportive of growing axons but not so attractive that the axons don't want to leave and keep on growing Wise.

Comment

Dear Kim,

There aren't too many therapies out there that address chronic lesions. I certainly cannot think of any biomaterial that has shown such promising pre-clinical results as Neurogel's, let alone one that combines a growth matrix with stem cells and/or neuro hormones. Today, Neurogel en Marche Association could bring such a therapy to human trial.

We already know that Neurogel provides a good axonal and neuronal growth matrix; however, as different combined therapies may bring further improvements, Neurogel en Marche Association wants to pursue its pre-clinical investigation; the trial may include bone marrow stem cells, with or without neuro hormones. We would also like to fund Pr. Gorio's very ambitious pre-clinical project, I am sending you. (Pr. Gorio is a member of our scientific council.

The Association, which is to say, the patients themselves, will be the promoters of the trial, and that is quite unique. Criteria will be broader, including lesions up to C5. Dr. Reis, from Lisbon, Portugal has agreed to be the investigator; manufacturing of the medical grade gel, in compliance with European norms (the equivalent of the FDA), will take place in Professor Sykova's GMP laboratory, in Prague, Czech Republic. We managed to overcome quite a few obstacles to obtain a patent for Neurogel, surviving battles between shareholders and conflicts of interests between researchers-

That's the reason why I desire to know if Dr.Wise approached Dr. Woerly's shareholders at some point. Only to have the correct information; however, today, funding is our major issue .

The members of our current scientific council,selected by our Association, have signed a chart promising to lead and guide patients in their quest for a cure. The patients themselves are involved in the project, and decide which pre-clinical trials they want to support; they will also be actors in the human trial, which is unprecedented. Nonetheless, it is extremely difficult to get paralyzed people to partner around a project. In France, as in the US, health representatives are not really pressured by the community of paralyzed people into financing a therapy or demanding a trial . This lack of activism is detrimental to our cause; documentaries on paralyzed people do not help either when they focus on individuals who have succeeded in spite of their handicap, or who have overcome their handicap to do extraordinary things. Reality is often quite different; living or existing with a handicap is always hard and painful. The paralyzed person is not only physically but also socially diminished, and often has a hard time participating... and yet, we do need everyone's support to succeed!

I have been trying to get in touch with Mr. Larry Flint to ask him to help fund our human trial and Pr. Gorio's pre-clinical project. With only 2 million dollars, we could do both: not in 5 or 10 years' time, but right now! Please, help me contact him, and other organizations, associations, and sponsors. We are ready to proceed; it is now a matter of funding!

One last thing. The treatment won't solve everything: physiotherapy is often underestimated. Dr. Reis and the Association want to make it clear that the patients who want to participate in this trial will have to agree to undergo a minimum of three years of PT. Without physiotherapy, the treatment won't work, because the problem is not just the lesion. The brain, or areas of the brain such as the spinal path below the lesion will have to be reactivated. Re-learning the spatiotemporal space, adapting to new types of connections and interneurons which will be key to optimal recovery.

Dr. Wise,

We can certainly provide you with a few lots of Neurogel. You might want to discuss the protocol with us to make sure optimal conditions are met to promote cellular growth in the gel; special precautions are required due to adherence constraints with the surface.

Sincerely
          Pierre

Comment

Dr. Young,

Your expertise would be an invaluable asset! I hope you will decide to come on board and possibly join the Association's Scientific Council. I really think you would enjoy working with Prs. Sykova, Gorio and Decherchi.
            gretchen 1

Comment

I hope that happens
              "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
              Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                Pierre,
                We are currently evaluating a variety of materials to hold cells for transplantation. I would be glad to include neurogel in the experiments.

Wise.
                Dr. Young,

Are you still interested? When will you be conducting your experiments?
                gretchen 1

Comment

nice ideas!

Comment

Dr. Young,

Your expertise would be an invaluable asset! I hope you will decide to come on board and possibly join the Association's Scientific Council. I really think you would enjoy working with Prs. Sykova, Gorio and Decherchi.

gretchen 1

Comment

Originally posted by gretchen View Post
                      Dr. Young,

Gretchen, sorry. I posted elsewhere saying that I am interested. Normally, what I would have to do is to write a grant, get some funds, find a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow, and then do the project. It turns out that I am planning to do a study looking at some other kind of biomaterial and may be able to include some animals in the study. These experiments will probably start this coming summer.

Wise.

Comment

Yes !!!!
                        keep (rolling) Walking

Comment

Dr. Young,

Thank you for considering conducting an experiment with Neurogel to familiarize yourself with our biomaterial, and hopefully, validate its efficacy. Lots of gel will be provided and shipped to you free of charge by Neurogel en Marche Association.

May I invite you to join our Scientific Council to exchange data with the researchers affiliated with our association, obtain full documentation on Neurogel, the tests performed, and share the expertise for growing stem cells in the gel.

Sincerely

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Rondio View Post
                            Dr. Young,

Thank you for considering conducting an experiment with Neurogel to familiarize yourself with our biomaterial, and hopefully, validate its efficacy. Lots of gel will be provided and shipped to you free of charge by Neurogel en Marche Association.

May I invite you to join our Scientific Council to exchange data with the researchers affiliated with our association, obtain full documentation on Neurogel, the tests performed, and share the expertise for growing stem cells in the gel.

Sincerely

Pierre
                            Pierre,

I would be honored to join. Unfortunately, I am especially busy this year in terms of meetings and travel and so may not be able to participate as much but will try.

Wise.

Comment

Dr. Young,

This is great news for the SCI community at large: I believe your involvement and expertise will be instrumental. Thank you!
                              gretchen 1

Comment

Dr. Young,

We are truly honored to be able to add your name to the list of our prestigious members. As a member of our scientific council, you will be in touch with the other researchers and have access to their data base. We do understand that given your busy schedule and workload, you may not be able to attend meetings, but we hope you will agree to provide advice and guidance to patients as much as possible. We need to make arrangements to send you lots of Neurogel to include in your upcoming experiments, can you provide us with an address? Could you possibly consider being our investigator or coordinator for a clinical trial in China at some point?

Comment

Working...
                                X