Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where were we 10 years ago on SCI treatment and where will be at 10 years from now??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where were we 10 years ago on SCI treatment and where will be at 10 years from now??

Im thinking where were we at in 1998 on sci research and were do you see sci research in 2018? You think there would be a cure or something to get people with sci better, may it be through stem cells or exercise or whatever?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Well if this injury does not kill me first, I seriously hope and believe within the next 10 years we should be somewhat able-bodied. It wouldn't a lot faster if we had government funding. In the past 10 years there has been lots of new roads opened & new discoveries. C3 11 years post
    keiffer66

Comment

Originally posted by Keith
      Well if this injury does not kill me first, I seriously hope and believe within the next 10 years we should be somewhat able-bodied. It wouldn't a lot faster if we had government funding. In the past 10 years there has been lots of new roads opened & new discoveries. C3 11 years post
      I wish I had a shred of your optimism as it pertains to SCI research.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

22 yrs ago i was told 5 yrs. didn't believe it then. BUT it is closer now than 22 yrs ago. personally, i'm sure i won't see it. but am reasonably hopeful my son's generation, he's 15, will. i'm not discouraged for myself, just realistic. i'm not 20 yrs old. you ppl who are have every reason to hope.

eta, don't just look to be restored to your ab self. getting off a vent, getting arm function, etc., these things are major milestones.

Comment

Seeing someone not having to rely on a vent to breathe would be a huge accomplishment in my opinion and should be priority number one! I hope in less than five years although I have no research reason to back this up.

Then arms/hands/fingers. I hope that's in less than ten.

Hope to see regeneration and some leave their chairs before I die.
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

no more ASIA A would be nice in 5year timeframe...
            http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

Comment

I think that we need to get a grip here. I don't post on here but have lurked for years. We seem to be no further on now than we were ten years ago. The pursuit of cure has a long history, long pre-dating genetic or stem cell research. We've had promises of a cure for spinal cord injury since at least the 50's. The following is from Paraplegia News in 1959 from from an editorial entitled “Kick Him While He’s Down”

“In the past twelve months paraplegic has been dealt some serious blows. Paraplegia has been attacked from all four sides this year. . […] Medical science has come up with some advances too. Researchers have been able to repair damaged cords in mice and other animals and get nerve impulses past the break.[…] A new substance to grow spinal nerves has been developed by Walter Reed scientists.

All through the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and in the 21st Century there has been a number of claims that a cure for spinal cord injury is just round the corner. FES was going to help the paralysed walk, the International Spinal Research Trust, was in 1986 was promising cures for spinal cord injury within five years. I remember being at a meeting of the Spinal Injury Scotland in 1992 when a representative from this group gave a talk. His first slide was an empty wheelchair with the title “Your Wheelchair by the year 2000”. He went on to describe how mice where now walking again after having their spinal cords severed.

Stem cell research and growth factors are just increasing this tendancy. From what I can see if you want to walk again and recover from a spinal injury, become a mouse, cos it only seems to work for them.

I know I'm being provocative here, but i get fed up with hyperbole and raised expectations that surrond the cure agenda and way that new medical research findings do not translate into benefits.

Comment

Anyone can make predictions. No one can make accurate predictions.

Progress will be made incrementally; it's a process, not an event.
                Last edited by Schmeky; 21 May 2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

1998- researchers was working in the labs and fighting to get funds for clinical trials. Cure was around the corner.
                  and if the actual situation don´t changes,
                  2018- researchers still be working in the labs and fighting to get funds for clinical trials. Cure will be around the corner.....again.

I hope to walk again someday, but time passes away and im not inmortal
                  -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Comment

tis a sad subject as nobody can answer it. we can only keep supporting the research and the legislation that promotes it. sometimes breakthroughs do happen.

meanwhile, just having the internet and sites like this is a HUGE improvement over march, 1986, when i was injured. what i would have given to have this site then, all those terrible, lonely times at Rancho Los Amigos.

i thank wise, sci nurses, mods and everybody here for this site.

Comment

It looks better today ...

I was injured March 1987. After I was out of Intensive Care Unit, ICU and put on the rehab floor. My rehab doctor was honest and hopeful that something would happen in about eight years, 1994.

Fourteen years later, 2008, it looks much more promising today especially with stem cells and with many other different therapies. There are thousands more people involved in this research today to restore function than in the past. This research is going on all over the world with many men, women, universities, organizations and companies seeking a solution to spinal cord injuries and diseases.

It looks much more promising now then it ever has. Give it time and when there is a break through it will be reported all around the world.

Meanwhile never give up hope and take care of your body. The future looks very promising and brighter than ever.

titanium4motion
                      "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

well, titanium. we are practically sci twins, one yr apart almost to the day. my injury was 3/24/86.

Comment

Yes, there has always been a lot of hype concerning spinal cord injury cures but I think that most people with spinal cord injury have learned to discount the wild and crazy claims and believe those claims for which there is published data.

Ten years ago, in 1998, we had a few therapies that had been reported to reported to improve recovery in animal spinal cord injury models. These include:
                          Nogo antibodies. IN-1, developed by Martin Schwab, was the first treatment shown to regenerate the spinal cord of rats in the mid-1990's. There was much hope that this antibody could go to clinical trial.
                          Fetal cell transplants. Many scientists were transplanting fetal cells to the spinalc ord. Russia had been doing fetal cell transplants to the spinal cord of people and one study in Florida has was transplanting fetal spinal cords to the syringomyelic cysts.
                          Monosialic ganglioside (GM1). The GM1 trial had just finished but did not show significant effects.

In 1998, we did not know much about stem cells. Jamie Thomson had just published a paper reporting the first successful culturing of human embryonic stem cells. There had been some data from animals suggesting that there are neural stem cells in the brain, probably located in the subventricular zone, that could make new neurons in adult brain but pluripotent mesenchymal stem cells had not yet been described. It was not until 1999 when Ira Black reported his controversial finding that bone marrow stem cell cultures can produce neurons. Stephen Davies and Jerry Silver had just published the first papers showing that axons of transplanted dorsal root neurons can grow in the spinal cord if care was taken not to break the blood brain barrier or to create conditions where chondroitin-6-sulfate-proteoglycans (CSPG) was deposited, presenting the first challenge to the Schwab hypothesis that Nogo is the main reason why axons cannot regenerate in the spinal cord. The first studies of olfactory ensheathing glia cells were being carried out in spinal cord injury models.

Any claim of a cure, particularly for chronic spinal cord injury in 1998, would have been premature. I think that the data in 1998 warranted optimism that a cure can be achieved but anybody that claimed that the cure was already here was wrong. There were some people who did not believe that a cure possible but a majority of scientists believed that the spinal cord can regenerate under certain circumstances. It was really the beginning.

In the last 10 years, we have made huge leaps. I have reviewed the progress in research many times on these forums and in my talks in Open House but let me summarize some of the highlights.
                          Cethrin (a recombinant form of the bacterial toxin C3) was found to block the intracellular messenger for Nogo receptor and stimulate regeneration. It went to clinical trial with the first positive phase 1/2 results.
                          Olfactory ensheathing glia have been reported to be beneficial in animal studies and have actually been transplanted in humans. The results suggest some sensory improvement but limited to no motor improvement.
                          Other cell transplants. These include Schwann cell and bone marrow stem cell autografts. None of these have produced significant functional recovery, suggesting that combination therapies are necessary.
                          Nogo antibody. Preclinical studies were done in monkeys and the phase 1 trial has been underway (Novartis) for the past 2 years. The results of this trial should be reported soon.
                          Fampridine, Although clinical trials in spinal cord injury indicated that the treatment did not have a significant effect on spasticity, clinical trials of the drug showed that it improves walking in multiple sclerosis.
                          Embryonic stem cells. Geron has been working very hard over the past four years to get the first clinical trial of embryonic stem cells started in human spinal cord injury.

I can name more but I find that when I go on and on, nobody reads my posts. The above was done without increased funding from NIH over the last 8 years. In fact, there have been almost no new clinical trials funded by NIH over the past 8 years and spinal cord injury research has been flat-lined. Much of our effort was shunted into pushing for stem cell research, an entirely artificial and unprecedented situation where a President restricted funding for stem cell research for nearly 8 years. Note that I did not say embryonic stem cell research. George W. Bush underfunded all human stem cell research. That situation is only now reversing as states, such as California and New Jersey, are stepping up to fund the research.

Wise.

Comment

wise, i am amazed at the progress despite the lack of gov. funding. and i'll repeat, this website would have made a world of difference to me in 1986, had the net been available. i know it is helping thousands today in many ways.

thank you.

btw, no matter how verbose...i read your posts. just dunno where you find the time to write them

Comment

Originally posted by cass
                              wise, i am amazed at the progress despite the lack of gov. funding. and i'll repeat, this website would have made a world of difference to me in 1986, had the net been available. i know it is helping thousands today in many ways.

thank you.

btw, no matter how verbose...i read your posts. just dunno where you find the time to write them
                              Cass, you are very welcome. I would have liked to have seen at least one of the thousand billion dollars that we have spent on Iraq had been devoted to solution of neuropathic pain.

Wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X