MacSpeech Dictate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth headset

Has anyone tried using dictate with a Bluetooth headset? If so, please let me know the success rate as well as the type of headset.

Comment

Have not tried Bluetooth, but have a question for other new Dictate users. I'm going back and forth with MacSpeech support...seems I installed Dictate okay, but when creating an initial profile the app pauses and quits. No error messages, no nothing. Tried removing and reinstalling the software - dumped Preferences - tried leaving the English Data Disk in - all to no avail.

Am running MacBook 2 GHz, 2 GB SDRAM, OS X 10.5.2. Prior iListen user.

Their support folks are not exactly on top of this issue. Was wondering if anyone else has either similar experience, or suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

I just received the macspeech dictate package, and I can't install it. (I am using a MacBook Pro 10.4..11) When I drag the MacSpeech icon gto the applications folder, it appears there. But when I double click the application icon, it asks me for the English Data Disk. I then have to eject the applications CD, but it has not been installed. Thus the program doesn't do anthing with the English Data Disc. So I am stuck in a loop.

Suggestions?

rossenb

Comment

I think you are dragging the wrong microphone icon into the Applications folder. I would recommend that you start over and delete any MacSpeech software that may still be on your desktop. When you install the software, you should see two microphones. One is located in the upper right hand corner, the other is (at least on my machine) near the bottom left hand corner of your screen. Drag the microphone that is near the bottom left hand corner of your screen into the applications folder. That should resolve this installation issue.
          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
          --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
          ––Paul Nussbaum
          usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I watched some of these videos on YouTube, and found them to be somewhat helpful. In at least two of the demonstrations there is a lag or delay where three or four sentences are spoken, but the words appear seconds later. This is not my experience at all. When I dictate a sentence or a paragraph there is almost no delay. These are Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo computers so maybe it is a memory issue.

There was a recent update for MacSpeech Dictate, but I'm not really sure what it fixes or enhances. The people who use iListen really must have suffered (I tried it) and the accuracy with MacSpeech Dictate is so much better.

Dictate Custom Commands

MacSpeech Dictate Hands Free Browsing

MacSpeech Dictate Voice Recognition for Mac OS X

MacSpeech Dictate Demonstration 3

MacSpeech Dictate in Australia

MacSpeech Dictate In Built Commands

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
            --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

uninstall iListen first ?

Did you say you should uninstall/remove iListen before loading Mac Speech Dictate (crossgrade)?
              I haven't tried that yet.

I didn't remember seeing that in their manual, but that might help or work for me.

I'm stuck not getting a first profile set up. Most likely a bad Data DVD they have now identified. Hopefully that's all it is.
              Don

Comment

You can install MacSpeech Dictate without removing iListen from your computer.
                --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks for the topic!!
                  Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

What are everyone's thoughts on this software after a few months of use? Overall -- I dig it, and I think it is much better than Ilisten. it still doesn't quite have the recognition accuracy of Dragon NaturallySpeaking and I find that the recognition wanes and waxes depending on what type of writing i'm doing i.e. conversation/e-mail/technical/poetic.
                    I'm still waiting and looking forward to a correction menu, someplace where I can start to train words that I have invented myself or other archaic sayings that this software just does not like to use.

Thoughts?

Comment

I think that MacSpeech Dictate is pretty darn accurate! However, if I am typing into Firefox or Safari, the accuracy may suffer. Therefore, it makes more sense (for better accuracy) to dictate into text edit. Sometimes MacSpeech Dictate has problems capitalizing words even though I am giving it the correct commands. I also find it difficult to go back, and edit a document for grammar or word correction. There are times when I need to go hands-free, and this is not possible with MacSpeech Dictate, at this time. I was really disappointed with iListen (poor accuracy) so for me MacSpeech Dictate is a welcome relief!
                      --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                      usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I am a newbie here, to be sure, have used Dragon on Windows in the past but having abandoned Windows for the Mac, I wanted to try this. I am a little frustrated with the inability thus far to correct. It is especially frustrating with proper names that you use a lot. However, that said, I do think its accuracy is fantastic, as well as its ability to speak into just about any Mac program. I'm using it more with Text Wrangler than with anything else but it seems to work regardless. I have not touched the microphone+adaptor which came with it because I already had a USB microphone which worked for me with Dragon and it's working fine with MacSpeech. There are about 5-1/2 months left to this year and I do hope that the correction feature shows up sooner rather than later.

Mary

Comment

Thanks and questions

Thanks for the helpful reviews and all the information about Dictate.

My wife and I are thinking about ordering Dictate, but have several questions. We write together as a team, usually using a small tape recorder, passing it back and forth between us, as we work out ideas and discuss them.

So our first question is whether the Profiles in Dictate can be changed "on the fly" within a given file? In other words, can we open a file, have one of us dictate into it, change the Profile and have the other dictate into it, etc.--without closing the file? (Page 36 of the manual seems to suggest as much, but it's not entirely clear.)

Can Dictate be used with a USB desk-stand or a lavaliere microphone, instead of the usual combined headphone-microphone?

Can Dictate be used with a digital or analog recorder, assuming it's employing a USB input device?

Is it possible to use Dictate successfully to dictate into other applications, such as Omni Outliner, Nisus Writer Express, etc.?

Finally, how important is CPU speed to Dictate's performance--say the difference between 1.8 mHz and 2.4 mHz?

Thanks again for all the helpful posts.

Comment

So our first question is whether the Profiles in Dictate can be changed "on the fly" within a given file? In other words, can we open a file, have one of us dictate into it, change the Profile and have the other dictate into it, etc.--without closing the file? (Page 36 of the manual seems to suggest as much, but it's not entirely clear.)
                            If you are dictating into Microsoft Word for example, I think you can switch Profiles without having to close the document or file that you are currently working on.
                            Can Dictate be used with a USB desk-stand or a lavaliere microphone, instead of the usual combined headphone-microphone?
                            On the Mac'Speech website they recommend the MacMice MicFlex USB Desktop Microphone for dictation.
                            Can Dictate be used with a digital or analog recorder, assuming it's employing a USB input device?
                            I see a few different voice recorders, but I am not sure which is the best one for MacSpeech Dictate.
                            Finally, how important is CPU speed to Dictate's performance--say the difference between 1.8 mHz and 2.4 mHz?
                            1.8 GHz is most likely a Core Duo processor, and the 2.4 GHz is a Core 2 Duo processor which will have 4 MB of L2 cache instead of 1 MB of L2 cache. My preference would be the 2.4 GHz processor, but the 1.8 GHz processor has enough horsepower for MacSpeech Dictate. The vocabulary lives in memory, so I would recommend a minimum of 2 GB of RAM for better performance.
                            --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks very much for your helpful reply.

Comment

I recently purchased a Mac book Pro, with MacSpeech Dictate. Soon learned I couldn't go hands-free (C4 complete) so I got another version of Dragon and windows XP to use in parallels (32-bit installation). Is there anyway to use Dragon and Safari in conjunction, or am I stuck using XP on a Mac until they get dictate figured out? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X