Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speakers for a Home Theater

Do anyone know of some good ones?

Depends on how much money you have to burn.......in some cases, literally!

But any sound system is only as good as its weakest link, and speakers make more difference per dollar spent than any other component in question. Now me personally, I had a pair of Paradigm Titan bookshelf speakers several years ago that I paid only $125 for (on sale), and they were fantastic. If money hadn't been an issue I would more than likely have gotten a set of larger Paradigms....Monitor 5 or 7's. Anyways, they by and large seemed very reasonably priced and of extremely high quality, both in terms of workmanship and sound. There's lots of other brands (B&W has a fantastic rep, but even their least costly speakers are a small fortune, I'm sure) out there tho

Tom

Comment

Do you have any components already? If so, what. What are the dimensions of the room? What is your budget?
      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

you can get a bose system for 1k bux at circut city but you'll still have to buy a reciever and cables/wires. I got the klipsch 7.1 and a onkyo reciever with 12g wire. It's not as good as bose, but still pretty damn awesome at about $500 less.
        There's
        No
        Place

Comment

Originally posted by MADPRODUCER
          Do anyone know of some good ones?
          Klipsch
          "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

When it comes to home theater sound, a lot of it depends on the listener's preferences. If you have some cash to sink into it, check out this website.
            http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Make sure you can get out and listen to some of these speakers for yourself, but keep in mind they will probably not sound as good in your home as they do in the showrooms. Unfortunately for me the floors of my house are mostly hard surfaces. Furniture, drapes, and wall coverings can help dampen the sound.

In the living room I have some large Klipsch Synergy Series speakers I paid quite a bit for back in 1999. In the bedroom I have some Boston Acoustic corner mount speakers I picked up a year ago and the Klipsch subwoofer I borrowed from the living room as I'm watching more movies in the bedroom these days. At some point I'll be in the market for another subwoofer.

Comment

AAD http://www.aad-direct.com/main/aadd-Home.htm

Comment

Like others have said it depends on how much you want to spend. I have JBL 5.1 hooked to a Yamaha receiver. Cost a nice penny but sound good. You can definitley do it cheaper.

Comment

Avsforum is definitely a good site for learning about things. There are some "real" audio/videophiles posting there. As others have said, your budget/environment/ears are all things that need paying attention to.

I have a Denon receiver feeding MB Quart 5.1 speakers(a Klipsch SW). You definitely gotta go listen to whatever speakers you consider. They are the last step before your ears and can make or break an otherwise good setup.
                  "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

I have older kenwood reciever. But im going new..
                    FO-- It will be for my place.. Not sure.. I will look and listen around at stores..

Comment

audition setups from these companies in your house risk-free:

www.orbaudio.com
                      www.aperionaudio.com

Comment

Scott do you have any of the brands? I may try aperion.

Comment

no, but they're both on my short list for when I have the $.

along w/ www.svsound.com

Comment

I have Monitor Audio Silver Series 9i with matching 12i center and Monitor inwall for the surround. I recommend Denon receiver's AVR-2808 or AVR-3808. Also I would check out speakers from Paradigm, Boston Acoustic, Definitive Technology, B&W and SVS for a sub. I have recently read a review in my Home Theatre Mag. on the speaker system from SVS (SBS-01 5.1 Surround Sound System with PB10-NSD subwoofer) that got a great review for $999.00 that is worth checking out. This is just my opinion. There are many good speakers out there but these I am a little more familiar with.
                            Audio Review is also a good site for speaker reviews.
                            Last edited by tbdeaux; 26 Feb 2008, 8:09 PM.

Comment

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with any of the SVS subs? I've looked at them in the past, probably a year or so ago. They sound nice based on what they have to say about them, but that's advertisement. I'd like to know how they would compare to other ones on the market in a large open floor plan living room. Plus I'm always a little hesitant when dealing with a rather pricey mail-order only product.

The only decent subwoofer I've ever had is the 12 inch downward firing Klipsch. Where the sub would be located is either tile or laminate floor. Would a front firing sub be any kind of improvement I wonder?

Comment

Working...
                              X