Mac Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac Stuff

A request has been made by one of our members to start a "New Mac" thread. I think this is a good idea, because we have members who are strongly considering purchasing a Mac, or who (like me) have recently acquired one.

A word of caution for anyone who may be purchasing a Mac from Amazon: find out if this machine will be coming with Leopard preinstalled. There were some early hardware problems (screen dimmed on one side, sudden freezes) on a small minority of the aluminum iMacs. These problems have been resolved, but you don't want to buy old stock.

So far all I can say is that my new aluminum iMac is an elegant machine, very quiet, and seems quite snappy.

Thanks!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

good idea! To start off -- has anyone had experience running Dragon both in parallels and in bootcamp?
    I also found a hack that allows you to dictate into Mac applications but it appears to be way over my head and was wondering if anyone else has played around with it.

Comment

Hello Chaz,

I decided to go with Windows XP in Apples Boot Camp and, from there, use Dragon. I purchased iListen to use with Leopard. Unfortunately, I am still installing software and getting things set up but I should have an update early next week.

I went with Boot Camp because I was hearing that other DNS users were encountering problems using Parallels. I am now more interested in VMware Fusion because it recognizes multiple processors and it is just plain faster than Parallels.

I'm sure we will hear from Liz when the time is right.
      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
      --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
      usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Here's a pic again of my 24" iMac. 2.4 ghz, 2 gigs of ram, BBIG FFFAT Screeeeen ~ It's sweeeet...
        "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

Ok...I'm a idiot when it comes to Macs. But I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with a Mac for my next computer...My Dell Laptop is just to slow--and windows...ugh...

So can I use most all the same programs on a Mac? What kind of OS do they use? Whats a good one to get? I want another laptop.

The last Mac I used was the size of a suitcase and the only color on the screen was green. This was way back in the early 90's when I was in elementery school.
          T8/9 (2-24-06)
          IOWA

Comment

Originally posted by RSieck
            So can I use most all the same programs on a Mac?
            Generally speaking, yes.

What kind of OS do they use?
            they come loaded w/ Mac OS X: http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Whats a good one to get? I want another laptop.
            10:1 says a 13" MacBook would fit your needs: http://www.apple.com/macbook/

Comment

Bought a MacBook Pro for my wife for Christmas(I'm on it right now). First Mac I ever played with(been a PC guy for decades), gotta say it is very fast and responsive. Seems very intuitive also, one of the reasons I bought it for her, as a Potter she is not a computer person. Figured she'd be safer online too.

If you work for a "bigger" company, check and see if they are involved with the Apple EPP program, saved me quite a few bucks.
              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

I downloaded iListen 1.8. the install is very smooth, download great, and u can re download up to 50 times until a date in 08. I have no idea what commands to use but I figure that I will print off the command list sometime this weekend, I just haven't had the time. I did dictate a little and trained two additional reading sessions for iListen of 31 sentences each. The training is very similar to Dragon. I am using my VXI Talkpro headset with Andrea USB Pod. I never have cared for the Andrea USB pod because I think using it with Dragon makes dictation worse, so generally just plug in the talkpro. Nontheless, iListen requires a USB microphone. I did find that iListen works best with quiet environment rather than with Dragon, I can have a little noise in the background. maybe this will change once iListen gets more familiar with my voice?

A few weeks ago, I attempted to load Dragon on Parallels. guess (by default?) only loaded 512 of memory for parallels when it is running? To install, I have to load dns 7.0 pro, then upgrade to my disk of dns 8.0. dns 8 wouldnt completely install because there wasnt sufficint space? so, i had to delete 7.0 and dns 8 upgrade cd in order to run parallels. help?? shouldn't I be able to load both programs?

i haven't done any more w trying to reinstall dragon n parallels because i may be getting the latest version of dragon thru my work, it just may be a few weeks.

----------------------
                Bootcamp:
                haven't tried installing Dragon as I think its best that I wait till I get the full version 9.5, instead of using 7 & 8 (upgrade cd).

----------------------

RSeick:
                All of the office programs are very compatible with Apples iWork program. There is Office for Mac too.

Chaz- How is Dragon, Parallels and/or Bootcamp going for you?

Ronnnn- Nice fish!

Comment

i've been on a mac for 15 years now (since i was hurt) from a laptop with
                  4 meg of ram to a power mac9600 to a g4 then g5. this month bought a
                  imac with that big 24 inch screen so i can run windows. unfortunantly i don't have the money to buy the windows operating system yet. yikes!

the only problem i've had with lepoard so far is my photoshop 7 is not
                  compatible with it. so until i sell my g5, i won't have the money for a
                  program i use everyday.

i haven't used a voice recognition software for a while, but i'm getting
                  tired of typing with my pinky. i don't really like headsets so i''ll have to
                  see how well they work with my imic. has anyone here used an imic with
                  a voice recognition program?

Comment

PN requested that I post our pm about parallels, vmware, and iListen so here it is:

I'm not sure what happened with parallels for me. I went to reinstal and it wouldn't let me, even dl the new version but had the same problem. Tech suport, user furom, and FAQ's were no help so I decieded to give VMware a try and I'm very happy with it, just a better UI and easier to use imo.

To be honost I don't use iListen much thse days but I have it installed and it does work for me. It took a lot of training, reading stuff it gives you but then it keeps learning as you use it. I would say it has descent accuracy (with a good mic). I tried dragon about 4 years ago and I was not happy at all with it's accuracy, it may be better now idk.
                    Dave
                    C5/C6 complete
                    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
                    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Comment

Dave, thanks!

Your experience with these programs may help us to make a better decision before we buy/purchase these items, etc.
                      --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                      usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

OK, I admit!

I am a complete NERD. I was at Comp USA last night and they are closing their stores and so all items are REDUCED! There were copies of VMWARE and so I got one, it was 30% off God Bless Us All (love a sale)! Now, I am not liking the way Parallels performs on my MacBookPro as several times it has crashed or not loaded properly. I am going to try VMWARE. Now, to find more hours in the day?

uS cRIPS should be PAID to test these goodies!

-------------
                        got this email in my inbox- fyi

Dear MacSpeech Customer,

At the upcoming Macworld Expo in San Francisco MacSpeech will show why 2008 is a year of exciting changes. It is at this very important event that MacSpeech — the industry leader in speech recognition on Macintosh — takes the wraps off of the future of speech recognition on the Mac platform.

If you are attending Macworld Expo (January 15-19, 2008), be sure to visit us at Booth #S-607 where you will discover what true speech recognition on the Mac is all about. If you are not attending Macworld Expo, be sure to stay tuned to the MacSpeech website at http://www.macspeech.com for important details and information about our latest in Macintosh speech recognition.

We look forward to showing you why 2008 is when everything changes for speech recognition on the Mac.

Sincerely,
                        MacSpeech, Inc.

Comment

I got that email earlier as well, sounds like they have something good for us, tell us how you like VMware then.
                          Dave
                          C5/C6 complete
                          http://www.davegrotzinger.com
                          http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Comment

(i wrote this last night & just posted)
                            Hey liz -- parallels and Dragon works well although they are not as smooth and quick as I would like them to be. I've been able to write reports and other large dictations completely on DragonPad the accuracy wanes depending upon how many other programs I have running. In my opinion it is still better than working with Ilisten.
                            I had a hell of a time with that program and tried various microphones including the expensive array. I worked on training for over a month but it seemed as time passed my recognition dropped below 90%.

Right now -- I just dictated this little bit on to DragonPad using my Macbook's built-in microphone. I got sick and tired of all the extraneous wires and widgets. If I speak clearly enough it works well although I'd be game to entertain other options if Ilisten's recognition rates improved. It can be tiresome cutting and pasting text from parallels to Safari and/or Word.

If I had some extra cash & time I would try VMware. or give these hacks a try.
                            http://forum.parallels.com/thread2721.html

Let me know your thoughts on ilisten...im curious

Comment

Originally posted by dgrotz
                              I got that email earlier as well, sounds like they have something good for us, tell us how you like VMware then.
                              I hope they do.

Comment

Working...
                              X