Problems With AVG Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems With AVG Free

One problem, really: the SOB slows my system down, specially when I'm booting up.

As long as I've had my present PC setup I only download AVG when I've already got a virus. I use it to clean up whatever problems it finds - usually takes over an hour - then get rid of it. Because it slows my system way down on boot-up, taking about five minuts longer to go through its routine. It is also unresponsive to commands; I open it to try to reset its update check scheduling to letting me select and it starts scanning. If I try to close down its scanning or close the updater box it stalls the former and ignores the later.

I don't like running my system with just the firewall but am not willing to tollerate the extended up time and unresponsiveness to commands.

Any ideas, suggestions?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Wow..... Avg doesn't slow any of my PC's down. Wonder if it's the update?

Try changing the update time in the schedular, or even off.

Comment

Remove it from your startup menu, then just run it as you need it.

Start >Settings >Taskbar and start menu >start menu >customize >advanced >programs >start up

Removes it from there, but make sure that it's still available in the programs folder.
      4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
        I am not willing to tollerate the extended up time and unresponsiveness to commands.
        chauvinist

Comment

Originally posted by mimin
          chauvinist

I didn't realize that AVG was female; this explains a lot of things.
          J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Raccoon
            Remove it from your startup menu, then just run it as you need it.

Start >Settings >Taskbar and start menu >start menu >customize >advanced >programs >start up

Removes it from there, but make sure that it's still available in the programs folder.
            Hm, I'm running XPhome but my Start doesn't bring up any Settings nor can I find it in Programs.
            J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Never mind. I found it in the Control Panel. What OS are you running; why the difference?
              J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

We are running AVG on several computers XP and Vista. The only time it slows start up is when AVG is downloading and installing updates (it will wait for internet access for awhile if none is available sometimes). Or if it's set to run a scan on startup. We set AVG to NOT update on startup, and NOT to automatically scan.

Comment

I'm running XP Home, but I've got it set to "classic" interface, rather than the XP interface. Sorry about that.
                  4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Free version will not allow me to remove or modify scheduled tasks nor can I remove it from the taskbar. As it schedules itself to run both updates and scanns daily from 8-9 AM I have no option but to remove it compleatly and reinstall it as needed. Sux but there it is.

Thanks for trying to help, Raccoon and all.

Originally posted by Raccoon
                    I'm running XP Home, but I've got it set to "classic" interface, rather than the XP interface. Sorry about that.
                    J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

it used to do that when i had win98 on my laptop, my brother said it did the same on his desktop with 98.

it doesn't do it on win 2000 or xp. i googled an couldn't find a real answer how to keep it from scanning on bootup.

Comment

The Free version will not allow me to remove or modify scheduled tasks nor can I remove it from the taskbar. As it schedules itself to run both updates and scanns daily from 8-9 AM I have no option but to remove it compleatly and reinstall it as needed. Sux but there it is.

Thanks for trying to help, Raccoon and all.
                        Yha you can.... Edit the tasks instead of deleting it.

Comment

Yes, AVGFree does allow you to change settings. Mine does and it's version 7.5.503. It should be the latest version. All the older version do too.

Open the AVG Control Center. Click on Test Center button, then click on the Scheduler button. You should see two Scheduled Tasks. Double clicking on each one brings up its options.

Comment

MY personal suggestion is to trash that junk. It is a resource hog and I spend a lot of time cleaning virii from computers on which it is the AV solution.
                            Download AVAST and uninstall AVG. After rebooting, install AVAST and tell it to do scan after reboot ( setting it to scan archives, move the slider all the way to the right). Then when windows comes up, update it, register it (it's free) , right click over the rotating icon and have it merge with the main Icon after telling it to generate the virus database NOW.
                            Then sit back and enjoy trouble free computing from now on.
                            Also enjoy about 60MB of freed up ram and a much speedier boot process.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

I noticed that Avast uses less ram also. My oldest computer only has 128 MBs of ram so the difference is very noticable.
                              "There's too many things to get done, and I'm running out of days" 3 Doors Down

Comment

Working...
                              X