Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OS X Leopard 10/26/07

Its here. Coming out 10/26/07 (Friday). Who's buying? http://www.apple.com/

Will you be first to the store, or will you wait? (and why)

I've been waiting to purchase a new laptop until this came out. It looks really nice, but I'm hoping my parents will make me wait til Christmas....then I don't have to pay for it.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by CurlieQCarrie
      I've been waiting to purchase a new laptop until this came out.
      Mee too! Hi Carrie! I hope we all have a good discussion on this here. I need to make the right descision and weigh all reasoning-

Comment

I just bought an iMac on Thursday. This thing runs like a dream! Because I bought it after the release date for Leopard was announced, I'm entitled to a free upgrade when it comes out next week.
        www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Do Apple laptops have docking stations like PC laptops? Prolly a dumb question, but....... I have a Sony monitor that is the price of a child I love too much and want to usev as well as peripherals really a pain to unplug-

Comment

http://www.bookendzdocks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
              LOL - $300 FUGLY.....

It would take a lot of plugging and unplugging power, DVI, and USB to make $300 worthwhile

As implied, I have an extra power brick (which you would need for this device too). I plug that in, Network, DVI for video, and a USB connector that connects to a Hub for keyboard, video, mouse, shuttle pro, external hard drive, etc. No big deal.

Even easier if you use wireless networking, keyboard, and mouse.

-- JB

Comment

Originally posted by christopher
                I just bought an iMac on Thursday. This thing runs like a dream! Because I bought it after the release date for Leopard was announced, I'm entitled to a free upgrade when it comes out next week.
                Marry me now!
                Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

Originally posted by christopher
                  Hello Christopher,

I have the few questions if you don't mind. Did you get the 20 inch iMac or the 24 inch iMac? Is this the iMac with the new aluminum enclosure or the old type, all white plastic? I have some concerns with this new glossy screen (glare/reflection).

Thanks and congratulations!

Apple Discussions Forum and the topic is Screen Irregularities.
                  The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                  --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                  ––Paul Nussbaum
                  usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by JustinB
                    LOL - $300 FUGLY.....

It would take a lot of plugging and unplugging power, DVI, and USB to make $300 worthwhile

As implied, I have an extra power brick (which you would need for this device too). I plug that in, Network, DVI for video, and a USB connector that connects to a Hub for keyboard, video, mouse, shuttle pro, external hard drive, etc. No big deal.

Even easier if you use wireless networking, keyboard, and mouse.

-- JB
                    I totally agree. If Apple had a nice clean solution, that would be different. But this thing is just fugly, expensive and a pain to line up with 6+ ports. A USB or firewire hub does most of the same thing.

Chris.
                    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

She wants her DVI monitor, so... And it seems you just place it on the plate, and it self aligns, then just move the lever, and it all plugs in by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizbv
                        Its here. Coming out 10/26/07 (Friday). Who's buying? http://www.apple.com/

Will you be first to the store, or will you wait? (and why)
                        I was going to wait - I still might. I would normally wait for the 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 release (about a month after the 10.5 release if history repeats). Waiting lets others discover any obscure bugs etc, which there always are.

Having said that, 10.5 looks so nice I may cave this time. Being a long time Mac user, one of my gripes has always been the Finder. It's nice and functional, but it often has pretty features that escrew function for form. That offends Greeks of all ages.

The new Finder looks to be a huge improvement. The new iTunes-like sidebar, Quick Look, Stacks and Spaces look like they'll definitely change the way I work for the better. While I think Cover Folw isn't always the best way to navigate content, scrolling through a folder of JPEGs with Cover Flow will also be a boon.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

The video at this link, though cheesy, does an excellent job at highlighting some of the best new features. Time Machine looks amazing too.

Finally, Mail is at last growing up. The ability to format lists in e.mails, take notes and track to-do lists is again all about function. These features will hopefully change my work-life.

So I'm tempted to go in early this time.

Chris.

P.S. Apple has apparently standardised the look of windows across applications. No more metal-theme here and white-theme there. Praise the Lord!

Comment

I can't wait! I upgraded my old iMac from Panther to Tiger right when Tiger came out, and I had no problems, so I'll likely get Leopard in the first week. The new features look like they'll not only be cool but useful in how I work.

Originally posted by cspanos
                          While I think Cover Folw isn't always the best way to navigate content, scrolling through a folder of JPEGs with Cover Flow will also be a boon.
                          Well, that's the beauty of the MacOS, you can use one of several different ways to view your folders, depending on the content, what you prefer, how you work, etc. I think Cover Flow will work well with more than just jpegs, but I do like list view even now when I'm searching through my lettering files, so it all depends.

Originally posted by cspanos
                          Being a long time Mac user, one of my gripes has always been the Finder. It's nice and functional, but it often has pretty features that escrew function for form. That offends Greeks of all ages.
                          What features do you see as form over function?

Comment

fyi: you can preorder it on amazon (link, $109)

i skipped tiger; still running panther. this & photoshop cs3 are my big software upgrades of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
                              i skipped tiger; still running panther. this & photoshop cs3 are my big software upgrades of the year.
                              Do you think Photoshop CS3 is worth the upgrade from CS2?

Comment

Working...
                              X