No announcement yet.

OS X Leopard 10/26/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i skipped cs2 as well due to [literally] one or two extra features i'd find useful over cs (i use cs2 elsewhere than my personal computers though), but honestly it depends what you'll use it (cs3) for. the interface is nicer & there are a handful of new features for photography, including better raw file support. it's worth it to me.

Comment

at this moment, my questions are
      1. while using parrallels, are there usb compatability issues
      2. while running boot camp, are there memory issues, and usb compatability performance issues?
      3. iListen performance and new Leopard voice recognition abilities. can the new improved voice technology in Leopard run a lot of the computer? (the mac salesmen at microcenter told me leopard would be phenomenal)

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
        She wants her DVI monitor, so... And it seems you just place it on the plate, and it self aligns, then just move the lever, and it all plugs in by itself.
        yes, and printer, etc. docks are pricey i see?

Comment

O, wondering about being able to use my USB Plethora drive, also. Would I have to use this only in Boot Camp? does it work in boot camp w Macs? Currently, I heard they don't, am I correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Lizbv
            at this moment, my questions are
            1. while using parrallels, are there usb compatability issues
            2. while running boot camp, are there memory issues, and usb compatability performance issues?
            3. iListen performance and new Leopard voice recognition abilities. can the new improved voice technology in Leopard run a lot of the computer? (the mac salesmen at microcenter told me leopard would be phenomenal)
            Lizbv,

I cannot speak for bootcamp because I have not yet used it although everybody tells me that bootcamp is more compatible than Parallels. There are certain programs that people can run on bootcamp that will not run on Parallels. I have had Parallels installed on my laptop for over six months now. I have been able to recognize hard discs, usb memory cards, and printers with no problem so far, except that when the USB device is inserted while one is using Parallels, it often seem to take over the USB so that it is not available to the Mac any more.

I don't know about voice recognition software for the Leopard but it doesn't make sense to shift over the Apple if you are using Dragon. I have some friends who use iListen by MacSpeech and say that it is as good (Source but I would like to hear from somebody on this site who can compare it against Dragon.

At one point, there was a rumor that Apple bought Parallels and would be making it part of the OSX operating system. However, this was an unsubstantiated rumor. The latest version of Parallels 3.0 should run both Windows XT and Vista on the OSX 10.5 Leopard (source. Leopard will now include Bootcamp.

Wise.

Comment

Well, I just ordered my free copy that actually cost me $10 after S&H. I'll probably wait a few days to read up on the experts opinions before I install it myself.
              www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

CS3 is also the first to run natively on intel mac binaries.

I never tried parallels as I've been a VMWare user for many years on the PC side. It was a no brainer for me, though I sure wish they would release Vmware workstation that runs on a mac (much, much, much more full featured than VMWare fusion)

-- JB

Comment

In reading various places, I;'m finding that the current version of iListen is not compatable with Leopard.

The current version of iListen (1.7.1) will not run on Leopard. Versions older than 1.7.1 will not run on Leopard either. MacSpeech is preparing a free upgrade to those using version 1.7 or later. We anticipate that version to be released shortly after Apple releases Leopard. Until that release is ready, we recommend that you hold off on upgrading to Leopard.
                  http://www.drbott.com/blog/2007/10/1...n-and-leopard/

Comment

I too am looking at the Macbook for my new laptop purchase. I watched the Leopard video last night and it's very convincing. This weekend I will have some time to actually finally go look at laptops.
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
                    http://www.kristi-allen.com

Comment

In reading various places, I;'m finding that the current version of iListen is not compatable with Leopard.

http://www.drbott.com/blog/2007/10/1...n-and-leopard/
                      Betsy, yes, I just saw that as well. That is disappointing. According to Chuck Rogers of iListen:
                      http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...rd_compatible/
                      Chuck Rogers, chief evangelist at MacSpeech, says that iListen 1.7.1, the current version of the company’s speech recognition software, won’t run on Mac OS X 10.5 (“Leopard”), which goes on sale Oct. 26. Nor will older versions.
                      “MacSpeech is preparing a free upgrade to those using version 1.7 or later,” he says. “We anticipate that version to be released shortly after Apple releases Leopard. Until that release is ready, we recommend you hold off on upgrading to Leopard.”
                      The good news is that they are working on it and plan to issue something soon. It is a good reason to hold off. By the way, I usually never install a new Mac OS system until a month or two after its release. The reason is that if there are any problems, I can find out and then install it after they have fixed any problems. On this occasiona, however, I did order the software because I am interested in getting bootcamp. My parallels is simply too slow and I wanted to give the new version of bootcamp a try.

Wise.

Comment

O, wondering about being able to use my USB Plethora drive, also. Would I have to use this only in Boot Camp? does it work in boot camp w Macs? Currently, I heard they don't, am I correct?
                        i am not sure about the USB Plethora Drive but I have used many different kinds of USB hard drives and memory sticks on all my Macs and I have never encountered one that does not work. Hard Drives actually work fairly well in terms of Mac OSX and Parallels. Both systems apparently will see hard drives plugged into both the USB and the Firewire ports.

It is the memory sticks that sometimes gives the OSX problems when you insert it while I am working under Parallels in XT. While the XT system will recognize it, the OSX system will ignore it. The reason, I think, is because if the Finder does not see the USB memory drive right way, it ignores it thereafter. Parallels is so slow that it may hide the USB memory drive from the OSX. So, before I insert any memory stick into the system and I want both the XT and OSX to recognize it, I go to the OSX side and insert the USB memory stick in while I am in OSX Finder. Then, both system recognizes the drive.

Wise.

Comment

On this occasiona, however, I did order the software because I am interested in getting bootcamp. My parallels is simply too slow and I wanted to give the new version of bootcamp a try.

Wise.[/quote]

Dr Wise-
                          Why is your parallels too slow? Is your system older? Is there a memory issue? Is there a version compatability issue?

Thanks-

Comment

What exactly are Parallels? and Bootcamp?
                            If there is light
                            it will find
                            you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

They're both Windows XP emulators.
                              www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Originally posted by CurlieQCarrie
                                What exactly are Parallels? and Bootcamp?
                                As Chris said, Parrallels is creates a Virtual computer on your computer... I't can be used for any OS (Mac, Win or *nix,)

BootCamps alittle different... It turns the Mac into a Windows PC. Basically, it allows the Mac to understand Windows program language..

You start your Mac as normal and Parrallels is a program that you run. Where as Boot Camp you start right up as you turn on your computer, and thus skip anything to do with Mac.

The USB plugin issues is a common VM issue... Even VMWare experiences this...
                                How does Parrallels work with PCMCIA cards? Does it recognize the slot, or like VMWare, the native OS takes it exclusively?

Comment

Working...
                                X