I'm impressed. Ubuntu.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alan
    I finally got Ubuntu installed, but I have no idea about using Linux. And I'd like to copy my Firefox bookmarks and passwords to the Ubuntu Firefox.
    Hi Andy,

I didn't want your question to get lost in the shuffle, so I decided to put it into Google and I ended up at the Ubuntu Forums. I also came across a good article on how to back up Firefox and Thunderbird in Windows.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
      Scorp...... Alot of servers are run on linux... I've heard though the Windows server is really stable now. Larger companies seem to be going M$ cause of the ease of tech support, but you can't beat the price for a Linux setup.
      Yeah, I imagine you'd need some very tech savvy IT people to run Linux servers since they can't just call tech support.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion
        I've been thinking of trying Ubuntu on my new Mac, just for kicks/curiosity. Anybody done this?
        Worked fine on my G5 Powermac when I tried it a while ago, although I never did much w/ it as all my stuff is on OS X. Give it a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion
          Capn,[/B] you run Linux exclusively, right?
          No, I have used various distributions as far back as late 97 when I was introduced to it by a ham buddy who sold me my first computer. A teenager whom all the compaq folks continually asked questions over the local repeater to solve their technical and IT issues, lol.
          Since I have been a heavy gamer on and off and repair computers, I have always used windows. However, I have pretty much made up my mind to abandon windows by years end and never boot it again
          With the understanding that Sabayon Linux is a good gamer platform for windows based apps, among many other things, I am going to start concentrating on it now...when I get a chance.
          I am tired of all the hassles that come with fixing computers for free/at my cost and will not have a reason to continue advancing with Bill into shoddier operating system money pits.
          I have tried for years to tell folks about Linux and few listen. I am leaving them to their OWN devices. It is time to enjoy having a computer to make life EASIER, not fixing other folks problems and pulling my hair out.
          web survey, what www servers use
          http://news.netcraft.com/archives/we...er_survey.html

Microsoft HIDES BEHIND LINUX TO PROTECT IT"S SITE....
          http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9115920,00.htm

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Hey........ still running this?

Hows it working?

Originally posted by CapnGimp
            OK, downloading Sabayon DVD now from the VA Tech mirror. Should be done by 830am or so.
            http://www.sabayonlinux.org/mod/mirrors/
            check it out, this may be the gamers solution. Read about it, cutting edge as far as distro's go.

I'm going to install it on my server. Should be an easy install but it uses 768mb and a GeForce3 Ti 500 on an AMD +1800, so the eye candy won't be up to snuff. I may put it on my laptop later and my nephew's new computer, where it will run a LOT better.

If anything will run LoMAC BobKat, this one has the best chance. We shall see later on.

Comment

Funny, I just checked my email for the first time in a couple of days. I took the day off from riding just so me and my nephew(yeah, I know, bad english, my specialty) couldinstall it on his two computers, one a fancy one with a NV 6600 video card. I showed him the live dvd version and it instantly recognized his card, I made a one click choice for the NV type drivers vs ati, and he was up and running. I spun the desktops cube around to Gee-Whiz him and left to go see my mom for the afternoon. It was 1130am.... I came back about 430 pm and he was STILLplaying one of the games online, it was a blazingly fast, eye candy rich environment, quake-like game with about 4 other guys on a server with him. I JUST now installed another 40gig drive in his older computer and it is installing to it as I type. It's a Sempron2800+ with a ATI 9800 video card and has 2 gigs of ram. I am anxious to see how it works on it. We are gonna use Qparted to add partitions to his 500gig drive on the newer puter here in a few and install it there. It is the first linux distro I have ever gotten him interested in. He wants to be a programmer of games, starts college next year, a senior this year.
              It has an environment where you can add objects etc, and see the 'programming environment' in a GUI on one of the games. THAT was what caught his eye at first. I told him about Corey and his acceptance of Linux/working for Big Blue, etc. So he is on the linux bandwagon FINALLY aftter all these years, lol. I started him gaming with Tanarus back in 2000 when his dad started dating my sister. Also worked as a teachers helper at the school he went to for a few years. He is a sharp kid, just took forever to get him to realize what a REAL OS is.
              My old puters don't get fancy with it, but I have it on this laptop and got all the drivers working withmy video card. Just forgot to tell ya, been busy riding the ol handcycle and playing outside.
              I had only set aside 12gigs for linux when I installed this drive back-when, so that really crams it in, even got a warning for not really enough room for it to work well when I installed it. It works fine, I just can't get all the fancy gizmos to work as fast or well as on a newer card/processor.
              Enough of the book, I just came to check my mail, going back to ythe installs. I'll let ya know how it goes later.

Comment

I've been running Sabayon for the last 2 weeks. It's not bad for a gentoo distro. Most impressive is the fact that it comes with ATI/NVIDIA drivers preinstalled and there is a sweet accelleration manager that will configure your system for XGL/AIGLX and beryl in like 5 seconds. Also, it's pretty much set up for privoxy and tor which I really like. Took like 5 seconds to configure that as well. I installed using the mini 3.3b 700mb iso because I wasn't gonna wait 2 days to download the dvd. There are a few bugs: kbluetoothd keeps crashing, it sucks power like crazy on a laptop even with kpowersave [not a bug, just a fact], slocatedb isn't installed by default [easily fixed i guess], and the graphical installer likes to crash all the time [rpita].

It's actually about what you would expect from a cutting edge Linux distro. Even better than Ubuntu IMO. You just have to get past all the little Gentoo annoyances.

Comment

Does it play games off a windows partion well?

Comment

I'm sure it will. It comes with the new ntfs-3g driver that will read/write safely to windows partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by mattblan
                      It's actually about what you would expect from a cutting edge Linux distro. Even better than Ubuntu IMO. You just have to get past all the little Gentoo annoyances.
                      I've learned to love those Gentoo annoyances. Power in exchange for complexity, but I've never hit an issue that Google couldn't fix. I'm assuming they're using portage overlays for Sabayon, which is one of the coolest features of portage IMO. If you learn to write an overlay, you can make Gentoo look and behave any way you'd like, and still benefit from the stability and continuous versionless upgrades from the core.

Sorry, this was a thread about Ubuntu, wasn't it. Anyway, they are my two favorite distros, I can't even remember the switches to rpm/yum anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
                        Does it play games off a windows partion well?
                        You have to install the game in linux using WINE or CEDEGA. Wine is installed already in SABAYON, CEDEGA is a subscription service about 5 bucks per month. Then you play it.
                        I installed Sabayon 3.4e 32bit on my nephews today. It's a new system with a Intel dual core whatever, has 2 gigs, a Nvidia 8800GTS card with 320mb onboard. I'm downloading the 64 bit version as I type on my server to install it when done.
                        I used the live dvd partition manager (GParted with GUI) to resize the 500gig single partion drive, lol. It works with 'sliders' so it is SUPER intuitive for the newbie. In the live environment, it has an icon on the desktop, 'Partition Manager'. I defragged first with a 3rd party defragger I've used for years, then booted up the Sabayon 3.4e live DVD, scooted the winderZ partition back about 60gigs, made an Extended partition, then edited it to have about 140mb for a /boot, 55gig for / and 2gig for swap (you can go with 512mb, linux rarely uses swap anyway) but we want to test this puppy with a lot of scenarios later on. Anywho, it is so simple to do, ya gotta try it.
                        If you are sKeeRt, then just use the live dvd. He played games off it all day yesterday. I am TRYING to get 3d enabled on an older system of his with a ATI 9800 card. The forums tell ya how/what works and so on. Download and burn the dvd from the Virginia Teck mirror, it's the fastest on this side of the pond. But only about 270 KB/s so it will yake about 4 hours.
                        If ya have a 64bit system use the 64bit version. Might as well use what ya paid for. Enough ramblin', gonna lay down and play with my puter.
                        ps compiz will rock ter socks, it's too cool!

Comment

AI... why not KI....(kat intelligence)

oh yeah, been looking for my homemade CPU I rigged up a few years ago...
                          I've been ahead of the AI game for years, I just try not to brag.....
                          I call it the...

Butthead 2005 Dual-PurrPuss Processor

whatcha thaaank Corey?

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp
                            oh yeah, been looking for my homemade CPU I rigged up a few years ago...
                            I've been ahead of the AI game for years, I just try not to brag.....
                            I call it the...

Butthead 2005 Dual-PurrPuss Processor

whatcha thaaank Corey?
                            I'll bet you have to replace the mouse often on that system.

Comment

Working...
                            X