• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iphone

Anybody getting one. $ 600 PLUS
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

We're not even getting here in Canada eh yet.

Not even a estimated release date.

Comment

Be very careful if you are thinking of buying one of these.........

The batteries are non user replaceable (like many millions of the original iPods) and battery life is shockingly bad.

The 'phone is not 3G compatible, a big over sight for a media 'phone.

It's big, about the same size as a Blackberry.

In the US only AT&T support all the features.

Comment

Today is iPhone day and I thought that people might be amused by the following video.

http://www.superdeluxe.com/sd/conten...555515999FB1DE

At the present, the iPhone will only work with one particular service provide: Cingular (AT&T). It is not expected to be available in Asia until 2008. There are rumors that Vodafone will be the iPhone operator in Europe. http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/commun...2025118,00.htm

The Asia market is very challenging for Apple and they have to find an appropriate partner. There are some people who think that the phone will not sell well in Asia. What is clear, however, is that the iPhone is driving many Asian companies to incorporate the functionality of the iPhone into their devices. Several companies, particularly in Japan, have come out with mobile phones that are graphic intensive.

All day, I have been receiving messages on my cell phone that offer to *give* me a new cell phone in exchange with staying with my current service (Sprint and T-mobile). They are worried about the potential flight of customers to Cingular/AT&T. They have a right to be. I have been thinking about the iPhone because I currently pay $100/month for my T-mobile Blackberry service which works in Hong Kong and China. Cingular/AT&T provide world-wide service as well.

On the other hand, it is not a good idea to buy the first of anything. It will get better by the time it hits Asia in 2008. Regarding networks, in my opinion, Sprint probably has the highest speed network in the United States. I use it all the time for connecting to internet over my cell phone. The second is Verizon. T-mobile is third. Cingular/AT&T is the fourth in terms of speed. http://www.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_6259465

The iPhone is not 3G compatible. It uses the EDGE network which is available in Hong Kong (that is why my blackberry uses). This is good and bad. 3G allows continuous music and video stream which uses up a lot of battery. The EDGE network does not allow such streaming and relies on downloaded music and videos. However, 3G allows simultaneous downloads while you are talking on the phone. EDGE does not.

Worse, the iPhone is not CDMA compatible. CDMA is the system that Sprint and Verizon uses, which I have pointed out above, is faster than the Cingular/AT&T system. According to AppleInsider (Source), Apple's deal with Cingular prohibits them from developing a version of the iPhone for CDMA wireless networks for at least 5 years.

People have been waiting up all night at the 162 locations in the United States where Apple is selling the iPhone. Some people are selling their spots on line for several hundred dollars, according to the news. The weather has not been favorable. In many places, it is very hot and it rained last night on the East Coast. http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-b...business-promo

For those with cervical spinal cord injury, two things should be relevant (Source).
        • The iPhone screen requires skin contact. It uses the capacitance and impedance of the skin to sense contact. So, you cannot do it with a stick.
        • The iPhone does have speakerphone but both are apparently weak. When the iPhone is plugged into a iPod speaker system, it turns off its cell phone (i.e. goes into the Airplane mode).

For those who are thinking that the iPhone will be a complete replacement for their computers, cell phone, and iPod, people should note that:
        • The iPhone can be connected to internet through a Wifi connection and connected via cell phone at the same time. However, if you don't have a wifi connection, you cannot be connected to internet and talk on the phone at the same time.
        • The safari browser will not use java or flash. You can use carecure but not our flashchat.
        • The iPhone will not be able to receive songs, files, calendar appointmnets, contacts, or software updates wirelessly. It can do so when connected to your computer.
        • While iPhone does have Bluetooth that will interact with bluetooth headsets and car dashboard systems, it cannot interact with bluetooth computers, printers, or stereo headsets, or keyboards.
        • Although the iPhone has a miniplug which will allow most stereo earphones, the socket is set into the plastic and an adapter is used to allow miniplugs from most earphones.
        • The iPhone cannot serve as a wireless modem to connect to internet for your computer.

Wise.
        Last edited by Wise Young; 29 Jun 2007, 2:38 PM.

Comment

I'm on the EDGE network right now w/ a Blackberry 8100 (Pearl) & it's not bad at all, but I don't use it for music/video. I figure AT&T will boost the EDGE capabilities soon w/ the add'l revenue from this iPhone hype. Isn't Apple saying YouTube will work on the iPhone? YouTube is Flash-based; that'll be interesting.

Comment

There is a special app so that youtube (itube?) is presented over h.264. All youtube content is supposed to be available by august.

Comment

Looks like the IPHONE GOT OFF TO A BAD START . ATT SAYING THEY WERENT EXPECTING SUCH A TURN OUT . YEAH RIGHT
              SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
              -anonymous

Comment

Yeah, there's plenty left.

Comment

Not to throw a wet blanket on the Iphone as everyone can appreciate the technology involved with this device, but I question the need for most people. I have a Palm TX which has Wifi, a brilliant screen a MP3 player and all sorts of wonderful features for contacts, appointments and other information. I also have a cell phone which is a simple Motorola V180. I am continually using my phone so the chances are greater that I will misplace it or drop it. If I do then I don't have a bunch of confidential information exposed for someone to find and replacing it cost under $100. My Palm is usually tucked in my pocket accept when I need to check a date, my appointments or use a free Wifi hookup. Little chance of dropping it or losing it.

I realize that eventually I will have not choice and will have to purchase an all in one gadget as that will be all that is available. I guess I am just getting old.
                  mike

Comment

a friend bought one friday; i fiddled around w/ it today. it's definitely nice, quad-friendly, & has a super slick interface, but i just can't see dropping $600 on one right now. it does have a few missing features that should show up w/ updates, plus the dumb things are 100% locked until activated.

you can buy 4 blackberry pearls for the same amount... i have no intention of replacing my bb anytime soon... love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
                      a friend bought one friday; i fiddled around w/ it today. it's definitely nice, quad-friendly, & has a super slick interface, but i just can't see dropping $600 on one right now. it does have a few missing features that should show up w/ updates, plus the dumb things are 100% locked until activated.

you can buy 4 blackberry pearls for the same amount... i have no intention of replacing my bb anytime soon... love it.
                      Scott,

I agree with you, even though I am now carrying four cell phones: a Blackberry 8700 (T-mobile) for world-wide email, a old Samsung Sprint cell phone for the US (because T-mobile doesn't reach into my lab for some reason), a Motorola Razr cell phone for Hong Kong, and a Nokia with a China Mobile sim card for when I am in China.

It is a pain to carry so many phones but I prefer carrying an extra cell phone than to opening up the back of one cell phones and constantly changing sim chips. Fortunately, three of the cell phones use the same charger and so I only have to carry two chargers. All the phones are on digital roaming and I can tell when somebody from Hong Kong or China is trying to get a hold of me. I usually carry the blackberry and a local cell phone on my belt and the other two in my backpack.

The best of all words would of course be a cell phone that can access multiple sim chips all over the world. That would be my version of the ideal cell phone. I don't care so much about the other features (except for email) because I always have my computer anyway. The iPhone is not good enough to replace my Mac powerbook. I can't put multiple sim chips in it. The last thing that I need is another service provider and bill to pay.

What other things could the iPhone supplant? Well, in addition to the four cell phones, I also carry a powerbook, an iPod, a camera, an Irex Iliad (a book tablet), and the associated chargers and other paraphernalia that goes with these I suppose that I can use the iPhone to carry the latest podcasts (what I usually use my iPod for when I am travelling). Since I have to carry my computer, it holds the rest of my music. I would retire my iPod to being the source of music for my stereo. The iPhone camera will not be able to substitute for my digital camera (a Kodak with a 12x zoom lens). It would not supplant the Iliad.

So, in the end, getting the iPhone would reduce my cell phone load down to three and allow me to leave my iPod at home. That's about it. It is not enough for me to jump ship from the Blackberry. In any case, I have to wait until 2008 when the Asian version of iPhone comes out because I anticipate that I will be continuing to travel to Asia a lot in the coming years. My blackberry T-mobile service is available in all the major cities in China (with a few exceptions), Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia, Singapore, and all of Europe. There are several surprising places where I cannot get Blackberry service: Xi'an, Beijing, Seoul, and Japan.

Wise.

Comment

Another big thing is the camera.... I've heard of alot of industries that do NOT allow cameras on their premises to thwart (hehe, i said thwart) spying, and that includes camera phones.

So, with the Iphone to be your Crackberry replacement, you'd be SOL if you had to go to one of theses places.

Dr. Young... hope you get a bulk discount on phone rates!

Comment

well Wise, you sure are connected.

Patonb, the Blackberry 8100 & 8300 models have built-in cameras.

Comment

I'm very interested in getting of one these, but I will wait for the next generation before getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
                              well Wise, you sure are connected.

Patonb, the Blackberry 8100 & 8300 models have built-in cameras.
                              Yes but ALL the Iphones have camera!

Sorry, didn't want to get showed up... Don't really know tons about crackberries... Hell my phones from 6yrs ago... it has a CACULATOR!

Comment

Working...
                              X