burning drivers to cd....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

burning drivers to cd....

ok, this went over my thinking capacity, or maybe i just got a case of the lazy brain.

i came upon an old dell latitude laptop. it has the ethernet card in but i need the drivers for it and don't have the adapter plug for the dsl input at the moment so can't get it online yet.

i found the drivers i need so my question is this........

is it possible to burn them to cd on my desktop so i can put em on my new/old dinosaur dell?

yes,

Any type of media, floppy, usb. The driver file is just a .exe.

Latittudes are great machines... have one too.

Comment

yepper burn it. I have a c600 ? I bought for my neice a few years ago. Dang thaang needs a motherboard. It won't run off power supply unless you get real lucky. Batts are bad. Works fine when you can get it to run. 700 bucks down the drain. I ran linux on it off and on. Never really used it much, to much hassle to get it running. Bouught another battery, power supply, etc.
      Just to lazy to change the board. ALMOST got one for it, but by then her dad got her another computer. It has sat here collecting dust for two years

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

thanks yall....

yea, its an exe file. but how exactly do ya go about burnin it? i right clik on the icon an clik send to cd. down in the bottom right corner it says...files are ready to be burnt but i can't get it to do nothin. if i double clik the icon it goes to....the installshield wizard will install drivrs to your computer. don't have a floppy on this acer.

i know nothing about laptops so.....i have an adapter that plugs into the card but the output plug is the size of a regular phone plug not bigger like dsl plug. do i need to locate another adapter to hook it up dsl?

Comment

gotta run but a short answer..
          look for your software that burns cds whether it is Nero, or whatever. open the software, then follow it's directions
          basically, you tell it you are wanting a data cd, search for the file and put it on the list to burn and start burning

google for pics of the plugs I gotta RUN hopefully patonb will be here to rescueya shortly

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Easiesst way to explain things would be to:

1) Put blank disk in drive... XP will by default ask what you want to do...
            Select "BurnCD"

Or after disk is in Open up your burning software, Nero, Sonic or whatever.

2) Drag file to burning program, OR use the "Add files"

3) click burn..

Sorry late, but here... Ask away ifyou needhelp still.

Cap'n.. MB for Latittudes arr under 100 bucks.... cdn

WOW.......Ebay.. 35 bucks
            Last edited by Patonb; 10 May 2007, 2:58 PM.

Comment

ok, got the drivers burnt. used the cd/dvd burner installed with my comp. couldn't get it to burn on mediaplayer or realplayer.

another thing....my bro also has a linksys he's givin me too. do i need some type of wireless card for the laptop also to get it wireless?

this is the ethernet card i have. he just gimme the adapter for dial-up. guess i'll have to try an purchase a dsl adapter somewheres til i can get the wireless going.

Comment

another thing....my bro also has a linksys he's givin me too. do i need some type of wireless card for the laptop also to get it wireless?
                A linksys what exactly? A wireless router? If so you will need to purchase a pcmcia wireless adapter card to get your laptop to go wireless. You said this was an old latitude so I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't have an internal wireless antena built in.
                Teyrn

Comment

The dongle is gonna be very pricey!...

A wireless NIC is cheap. I'd suggest getting a PCIMIA, card shape like your present one, verses a USB type. Makes it more compact.

Hell, I picked up a refurbed card for 12 bucks....

So basically, hold off buying till you get the router... And if it's not a wireless router... Still buying a whole new card is usually cheaper.

Now CONGRATES on burning. Real, and Media player usually only burn mp3's i believe.

Comment

this is what i have. http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/feat...CP_M233ST.html

yeppers, pretty ancient in computer years. only 64mb, win. 98, but it'll be okay for just surfing/reading while lounging around in bed, if i can get it wireless. i can use my desktop for major stuff.

no internal thingy i'm sure teyrn. yea, it's a wireless router.

an patonb...it has one more slot above the one the ethernet is in. so i'll need to get a wireless card to go along with the router to get wireless, correct? i won't worry bout the dongle if i can get it runnin wireless. it's just....my bro's outta town an it's eatin me up to get it online. ya know wut i mean? he,he,he.

Comment

Originally posted by rollin64
                      this is what i have. http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/feat...CP_M233ST.html

yeppers, pretty ancient in computer years. only 64mb, win. 98, but it'll be okay for just surfing/reading while lounging around in bed, if i can get it wireless. i can use my desktop for major stuff.

no internal thingy i'm sure teyrn. yea, it's a wireless router.

an patonb...it has one more slot above the one the ethernet is in. so i'll need to get a wireless card to go along with the router to get wireless, correct? i won't worry bout the dongle if i can get it runnin wireless. it's just....my bro's outta town an it's eatin me up to get it online. ya know wut i mean? he,he,he.
                      Yha, now we have a problem.... It's a old type card slot, 16 bit. You are going to have to go USB. And for wired you'll have to go used.

I have A toshiba basically the same specs, and I used it no probs for surfing.. till a nurse knocked it to the floor... popped the lcd bulb and killed some screen.

Edit.........

Heres a wifi card on ebay 16 buck
                      Last edited by Patonb; 10 May 2007, 9:55 PM.

Comment

eek.........don't say problem patonb, haha. i hate that werd, lol.

so with this type card i'll still hook up via usb? i know i'm soundin ignorant, lol. well its cause i am when it comes to laptops an wireless.

are these cards pretty plentiful on ebay? i'm not gonna buy til i physically get my hands an eyes on the linksys.

Comment

K... You'll use either one. The USB is much more avaliable then a PCMCIA card style. 16bit cards are older than most wireless stuff so they're rare, USB go for 16 bucks and up, new from stores.

Basically... Go wireless with the USB type, and you're screwed with the wired unless your cheapass bro gives you the dongle

Oh... 98 doesn't support WPA. but thats minor.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
                            K... You'll use either one. The USB is much more avaliable then a PCMCIA card style. 16bit cards are older than most wireless stuff so they're rare, USB go for 16 bucks and up, new from stores.

Basically... Go wireless with the USB type, and you're screwed with the wired unless your cheapass bro gives you the dongle

Oh... 98 doesn't support WPA. but thats minor.
                            can you show a pic of what you're talkin bout patob?

my bro just told me that the ppl he got it from had it wireless. he also said they told him he could get it online with this usb cord he gimme. he's not very puter literate so i'm not sure.

he's bringin me the linksys tomorrow so..

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaah I always forget bout USB wired lines.

Check your modem for a USB plug... it's not like the computer plug, it's smaller. Check the cables he did give you, one should be a typical usb, nd the other is a little smaller.

Just plug them in, and startup your computer... Should work.

The wireless you'll need, should be this (it's a cdn site btw):

To be absolutely safe.. ask your brother to ask his friend what he used.... OLder systems can be touch n go...

Comment

Working...
                              X