Advise for dragon naturally speaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Quadvet,

Will your microphone headset work with DNS when you do not use the USB pod? Are you creating a new user? If so, you have to choose your sound system. Is your new microphone headset able to pass the Volume Check? After that are you able to pass the Microphone Quality Check? What happens when you use your old headset with the USB pod? Did you purchase the Sennheiser ME3 Headset Microphone from eMicrophones or from KnowBrainer?

Even though the headset with the USB pod worked with the Windows Sound Recorder Recording, doesn't mean that it will always work with Dragon.

This is process of elimination: you do the easy stuff first and then move on to the next probable cause. If your old headset works with the USB pod, then I think the problem is with the new headset.

It sounds to me like you are doing everything correctly but we need to cover all the bases before you ship back the new headset. Let me know if I am missing anything.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Duh Matt!

Originally posted by PN
      ...you have to choose your sound system.
      That's what I couldn't figure out, where to choose the sound system for the DNS. Had to go to the Accuracy Center > Check Audio Settings. It's the first step of the Audio Setup Wizard... but only if there is more than one choice. I wasn't used to that.

What about this USB pod, seems like it's an amplifier. The setup, with new microphone, works awesome. I've been YELLING for the almost 4 years I've been using it. Now it's like having power steering. Noise cancellation is great, I can rock out to my music now!
      Extremely happy. Somewhat, well, extremely disturbed that the DNS trainer who evaluated me three times just blew me off, saying I do great, for teaching myself. Saw how poorly my microphone was working, yet made no recommendations. Ugh, it's difficult, flying solo... learning a lot though!

Thanks PN.
      get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

Hello Matt,

Glad to read that everything is A-OK! The USB pod are better for Dragon NaturallySpeaking because the analog sound is converted to digital outside the computer enclosure.

Good luck!
        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
        --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
        usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks PN,

Please clarify this, if you will:
          Originally posted by PN
          The USB pod are better... because the analog sound is converted to digital outside the computer enclosure.
          Internal shielding is so poor as to cause interference? Can the USB pod be affected by external EMF, also? I mean, should it be placed away from other electronics?

Thanks!

Comment

Hello Quadvet,

The internal shielding is a problem and that is why it is recommended that you do the audio conversion outside the computer. Soundcards that are of good quality may be okay for VR, but I still prefer the USB pods. When you use the USB pod the sound gets converted (analog to digital) to binary, which is not affected from the electronic noises inside the box. It is simply a much better way to do voice-recognition. I don't think there is a cause for concern or that you need to move the USB pod because of external EMF or other electronics noises in the home environment.

Good luck!
            --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Quadvet,
              I use a swing away boom as well along with the Sennheiser MD-431 II handheld microphone and USB pod. I've been through plenty of microphones throughout the years and it is the best for noise cancellation and accuracy. I've never liked using a headset microphone unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

Thanks PN, regarding interference and use of USB pod. I should have done this on my own long ago instead of taking the trainer's word that it couldn't be better (DNS microphone).

Doingtime, I might have gotten the handheld mic, except that on a boom it would be right in my line of sight to the monitor. Yeah, I prefer using a boom over headset anyday. I am waiting for a theBoom earHook mic for use with my laptop when I need to be mobile.

Comment

Here's what I've learned over the years-

USB pods are another unessesary accessory- pitch it.
                  Knowbrainer is a lot of extra crap- pitch it

KISS
                  "Keep It Simple, Stupid"

Comment

I use a Sigmatel sound card on this computer. Without the USB pod, microphone input is very quiet- I have to yell. For example, if I say "play that back" - my voice - the sound is much quieter and noisy than if I say "read that" (text to speech voice). With USB pod, playback is much louder, less noisy and has better cancellation.

This applies to Windows Sound Recorder, also. Without the USB pod, the recorder is very quiet.
                    Last edited by quadvet; 19 Nov 2007, 6:16 AM.

Comment

I concur about theBoom but $200 is a bit steep. I can understand why you would want to use theBoom with your laptop. I have been using the VXI TalkPro Xpress with Dragon and Skype for VOIP, and I am told that the phone calls are better than the landlines.

I read what Liz wrote and I think that beneath the surface there is more going on than the USB pod, but I could be wrong. Anyway, here is a story where the USB pod saved the day!
                      --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                      usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

hi quadvet.

http://support.nuance.com/compatibility/default.asp i see your sound card is certified.

not finding 'the boom' headset on dragon microphone list. the usb pod helps to amplify the sound, right?

what do you see as the possible issue, pn?

thx all.

Comment

Hi Liz and PN,

My soundcard is certified, yeah, but the USB pod amplifies the signal significantly and makes it much less noisy. For example, when I say "play that back", the volume of my voice should be as loud as when I say "read that", and the default voice reads it to me. With the USB pod, the two volume levels through the speakers are the same. Hope that makes sense.

Liz, theBoom headset is on the list, at the bottom, here's the link: http://www.theboom.com/

Pretty impressive demo, inside a Blackhawk helicopter with background noise of 110 dB! ETA: In comparison, that's about the same as my stereo cruising along at 100W - I can hardly hear my own voice.

PN, I've been on voicerecognition.com, pretty complicated. The site seems to be down lately when I am online, so I'll get back on that later. ETA: How do they arrive at a "% accuracy" at that site??

Thanks!

Last edited by quadvet; 24 Nov 2007, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by quadvet
                            PN, I've been on voicerecognition.com, pretty complicated. The site seems to be down lately when I am online, so I'll get back on that later. ETA: How do they arrive at a "% accuracy" at that site??
                            Hello Quadvet:

The VoiceRecognition Forum has been experiencing a lot of down time over the past six months or more. Also, I am looking at the site and I don't know where you are referring to about the "% accuracy"? Nuance makes the claim that Dragon NaturallySpeaking is 99% accurate. In other words, Dragon gets 99 words right out of 100. I think this testing is done with the latest and greatest computers, along with the best headsets money can buy.
                            --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi PN,

The VRF links to here, where they talk about % accuracy:

http://www.emicrophones.com/docdetai...?documentid=38
                              When we talk about 99 percent accuracy ... it means dictating from text.
                              That's not really that difficult, even with a cheap microphone/no USB pod. Dictating from text, and doing what I'm doing here is much different, as you know. For me, normal dictating of 2-5 single syllable, soft words usually requires correcting of at least one. Of course it takes lots of practice..I've been at it awhile totally on my own (too busy messing around to ask questions or research ).

They also say, and like I was saying:
                              Use the playback feature to hear how you sound. (This tests the microphone system)
                              And:
                              Run audio set up each day.
                              No way! In fact, I train one time, usually Mark Twain's speech. After that initial training, I never save my speech files when I shut DNS down. My reasoning here is that I don't always say words correctly, and the inevitable changing or unexpected background noises. Under these conditions, I find that trying to save speech files and train DNS to be detrimental. Basically, I use the initial training as a default. Saying this usually gets me in trouble, but that's my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by quadvet
                                No way! In fact, I train one time, usually Mark Twain's speech. After that initial training, I never save my speech files when I shut DNS down. My reasoning here is that I don't always say words correctly, and the inevitable changing or unexpected background noises. Under these conditions, I find that trying to save speech files and train DNS to be detrimental. Basically, I use the initial training as a default. Saying this usually gets me in trouble, but that's my experience.
                                Hello Quadvet:

Okay, the link is for eMicrophones website but the information is posted under Martin's name on the VoiceRecognition Forum. I agree, I don't think that you need to always save your speech files. Unwanted background noises can be an issue. It appears you are doing everything correctly with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, but sometimes problems occur that are not your fault. DNS has tools to improve your acoustics and improve your vocabulary for better accuracy.

Finally, I don't believe you need to run the audio setup each day!

Good luck!
                                Last edited by PN; 25 Nov 2007, 8:31 PM.
                                --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                                usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X