my pc is acting weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DA
    the question is whether it is the gtx or something else.
    Ok, lets get down to bidness and figger sumtin out.

You say the fans are cycling, which fans? The PS fan, the CPU fan, or the video fans? I'll bet the video fans arent it as they are pretty quiet to begin with on the 8800's. So that leaves the cpu and the ps. What sort of power supply do you have, and what cooler do you have on the cpu?

Next, ctrl alt del so the task manager is up, click on processes and see what the cpu usage is...and then click the cpu header to see what process is on the top using up all the clock cycles to see what is loading down your machine. Oh yeah, all this is if the cpu usage is more than a couple %'s, i.e. loading your system.

Oh wait, you jumped the gun on that box and got Vista...Bwahahahaha! I dont know much about Vista or if any of these troubleshooting processes are valid with that, so I guess you should just mail me that machine as it is giving you so much grief.

Comment

More than likely its the case fan. They go haywire pretty frequently, and need replaced. We had one guy at work that pretty much replaced case fans as a fulltime job.

da, if it overheats, you can just take off the case until you get the new fan, if one is needed.

Is it making any noises? There are two or three other fans in your system, but the only one I've ever had problems with is the case fan.
      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by adi chicago
        the beer is non alchol ,the money are still dirty ,my fingers cannot do the right job,my brain still.lol
        Well, you got cool sunglasses going for you....
        1FineSpineRN

Comment

Originally posted by DA
          the fan is spinning fast, then slow, then fast again...virus?
          Comes from too much posting and polling. You wore out your PC.
          Step up, stand up for:
          http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>

Comment

its the fan near the on and off switch...case fan. the only noise is it spinning super fast then slowing down, then speeding up again...etc.
            no, i havent install vista yet. i'm still XP.
            I think the power supply is 700. gtx requires it.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf
              More than likely its the case fan. They go haywire pretty frequently, and need replaced. We had one guy at work that pretty much replaced case fans as a fulltime job.

da, if it overheats, you can just take off the case until you get the new fan, if one is needed.

Is it making any noises? There are two or three other fans in your system, but the only one I've ever had problems with is the case fan.
              i notice no symptoms of over heating from the pc. everything seems fine except for that fan spinning up.

Comment

it was the case fan. anyway, all fixed. And I went ahead and up-ed the ram to 4gig and put in an extra HD. I will go vista64 after spring break.

Comment

your p.c. is self destructing from all the b.s. it spews out....OR, maybe the government is secretly destroying it remotely....maybe you should disconnect your internet connection just in case????

Comment

Originally posted by justadildo
                    your p.c. is self destructing from all the b.s. it spews out....OR, maybe the government is secretly destroying it remotely....maybe you should disconnect your internet connection just in case????
                    it started when pelosi became speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by DA
                      it was the case fan. anyway, all fixed. And I went ahead and up-ed the ram to 4gig and put in an extra HD. I will go vista64 after spring break.
                      spring break??? how about catalina island???
                      1FineSpineRN

Comment

Originally posted by Duramater
                        spring break??? how about catalina island???
                        i was thinking a little further east, compton?

Comment

spring break ....long time ago.

Comment

does a case fan suppose to spin a different speeds?

Comment

Some do... based on software settings, sometimes run at 50% and 100% when pushed.

Comment

i figured it out. i found a speed fan program. the program showed my pc was hot on the inside. averaging 49C. I took the side off and the Temp dropped to 42C. The fan then slowed to a better speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X