Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then...?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy - I have PowerPC based Macs, so I don't know, but this FAQ may answer your questions: http://appleintelfaq.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lizbv
      Yes I'm aware. thanks.
      Good.. I'd hate to see someone spend their money, only to find out they couldn't do what they expected too.

Comment

Originally posted by PN
        Hi Chick!

Maybe iVisit will solve (haven't tried) your Yahoo woes.

I have heard good things about the 20 inch iMac but I think I will settle for the MacBook because I like the smaller form factor.

Now you have your choice you have.
        Hey PN!
        I'm liking the 20 in. iMac more and more. I upgraded Ram. With Core2 Duo, it's pretty fast. After pricing 17 and 20 for what I wanted, there was only like $50 difference, so went with the 20.

Regarding the ivisit, it isn't exactly what I was referring to, since it seems like ivisit serves like how ichat would function. I was more specifically asking about yahoo chat - it doesn't look like yahoo allows browser chat thru java either (I tried to find, if safari or firefox might enable voice thru browser)? I can't find it on Safari or Firefox, but Explorer did have it which I've used before. Llinks in safari/firefox only refer to dwnld messenger page to connect to chat, but on mac, there is no chat option on messenger anyway. I might have to connect thru windows to check again to see if Explorer still has it.

BTW. Thanks to PN, Andy and Scorpion, for all their help and info on computers specs, prices, and resources...and some of the grunt work in quoting things out for me
        Last edited by chick; 24 Feb 2007, 5:06 PM.

Comment

See if Firefox Vox will do what you want.....
          http://www.accessfirefox.com/

Fire Vox http://firevox.clcworld.net/
          Ashley is a little girl worth knowing about:http://www.ashleyx.info

Comment

Chick,

I hear your IM pain! Yahoo was giving interviews at Macworld in January showing off beta 2 of Yahoo Messenger 3.0 for Mac. All reports are it looks impressive and should do audio etc. Yahoo is just taking their sweet time, but version 3.0b1 was a huge jump over the previous version so the development isn't trivial.

iChat interfaces reasonably well with AIM, so that's one alternative for cross-platform chats. Hands down my favourite solution is Skype. The latest version does nice video too - and you can get add-on software to record calls if required for business (remember a disclaimer!).

As a quad I often use Skype to call landlines etc. because it's so convenient. At my new work I won't have an office for about 2 months (damn cubicles), so I take my new MacBook in with headphones and Skype away!

Chris.

P.S. Glad to see the iMac is growing on you. I have an iMac G5 20-inch (same form-factor as yours) and find it to be the most beautiful computer, both aesthetically and in use, I've ever owned. The MacBook is a close second.
            Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

Regarding the Dragon comments above, if you need DNS don't get a Mac. iListen is woeful, although my MacBook may do better. I'll try out the Universal Binary version soon and report back to you.

There are times I need to enter large slabs of text, but I have a secretary at work for that. In future I may go the BootCamp/Parallels route for the odd lengthy text-entry session at home.

If you are a very-high-level quad that needs voice for all/most text-entry and voice to control your computer, don't bother with a Mac (for now).

Chris.
              Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

Chris;

my MacBook
                What MacBook? Did you make the plunge?

John
                "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Comment

Originally posted by john smith
                  What MacBook? Did you make the plunge?
                  Indeed I did - three weeks ago.

I stayed away from the Pros because it's a supplement to my desktop and I wanted something smaller and with better battery life. The lack of a dedicated video card didn't bother me too much.

The Core 2 Duos are so fast it's obscene. In some tasks it's really 5x faster than my 1.8GHz G5. It just amazes me.

Chris.

Comment

Cspanos, what do you use for a microphone for ilisten?

Hi Chick, I' will answer you, soon, ty for your responses.

Comment

Thx all for feedback on chat stuff. Well, I found out that yahoo stopped enabling java applet, so no browser (Exploprer, Firefox, etc.) access to chatroom for either Windows or Mac users. Windows allows access thru messenger, but Mac does not. A third party chat cliernt can be used (I like yahelite) but that is designed for windows. Anyway, this is just an annoyance, which limits windows users, but now seems to shut out Mac users (unless yahoo makes mac compatible in upcoming versions).

Liz, I hope you get the puter you like and is most useful for your needs. Like Paton, I wouldn't want you to invest in something that isn't going to be the most useful or user-friendly. It just seems that Mac is not there with its voice activation, at least not in a very streamlined and efficient way, yet.

For me, one of the reasons in getting a Mac was to have something more user friendly (as I've been told would be the case), so adding on so many additional programs and software, which aren't very efficient yet, would seem to defeat one of the purposes for me (I considered Parallel too and dictation) and unnecessarily costly. The more I've been using the Mac, and have moved most of my docs/work over, I'm becoming more accustomed to it and seeing less need/interest in Parallel (unless I get it free).

Anyway, you have your own preferences and needs. I hope you find a great deal. (Look for promos!)

Comment

Originally posted by Lizbv
                        Cspanos, what do you use for a microphone for ilisten?
                        Liz,

I use the MacMice MicFlex USB desktop microphone.

http://www.macmice.ca/itoolkit.asp?p...cific=jnlnirj0

MacSpeech sells iListen and the MicFlex as a bundle - that's how I got mine. Everybody comments how clear my mic is over Skype etc. My secret is the MicFlex.

I hear the Intel version of iListen is improved. I'll buy the update this weekend and start taking it for a spin. I'll let you know how it goes.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by cspanos
                          I use the MacMice MicFlex USB desktop microphone.
                          Is the Mac's built-in mic not sufficient?

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion
                            Is the Mac's built-in mic not sufficient?
                            Mac periphials are suppose to be top-notch, but ANY mic setup near the speakers echos... so a seperate mic is best.. and headset is recommended..

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
                              Mac periphials are suppose to be top-notch, but ANY mic setup near the speakers echos... so a seperate mic is best.. and headset is recommended..
                              They make echo cancellors, not too sure if something similar is available for desktop usage, but actual commercial grade equipment exists for this purpose out there, google if really interested.

Comment

Originally posted by cspanos
                                The Core 2 Duos are so fast it's obscene. In some tasks it's really 5x faster than my 1.8GHz G5. It just amazes me.
                                Chris.
                                Chris: Did you get black or white? I know the black costs more, and I think I'm willing to pay the price for the MacBook. Also, did you get 1GB of RAM or 2GB of RAM? I was thinking that I could save money if I ordered the MacBook with 512MB of RAM and then went to TransInternational and purchased 2GB of RAM. I don't know what you Mac users recommend when it comes to buying RAM and whether or not it's better to get from Apple or elsewhere. I'm not sure if you buy the RAM elsewhere that it would void your warranty. The MicFlex USB microphone looks like a great deal at $40. Also, you definitely do not want to do the sound conversion outside the computer because it is too noisy and it's almost like a frickin' microwave oven in there.

I would think that Apple's Boot Camp with Windows XP would work on the MacBook. I have been following the Voice Recognition forums and I think I understand the issues with using Parallels. These problems I believe will get resolved over time, and I really like what I am hearing about Parallels with the Coherence mode, which allows you to run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side.
                                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                                --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                                ––Paul Nussbaum
                                usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X